Threlkeld to Belgium? (joins Waasland-Beveren - confirmed) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Threlkeld to Belgium? (joins Waasland-Beveren - confirmed)

Why is it that you or I can give notice to our company for a better position elsewhere, receive plaudits from colleagues and the best wishes of higher management in the pursuit of our career, yet if we are a footballer, then some see us as a Judas or pariah. I’m not talking about Threlkeld, but every better player who leaves us and gets this response from some (admittedly a minority) fans. Good luck Oscar. Be nice to see you return to us when we are at a higher level.

Apr 6, 2009
The fact that hes probably taken a step down in standard esp if the rumours about championship clubs being interested are true, his comment about wanting to go abroad was clearly high on his priority

Nov 18, 2011
All the best Oscar, as others have said this is an excellent opportunity to play in a top flight league.
Good to see him try his arm abroad, in my opinion one of the reasons the English national team has underperformed is the unwillingness of English footballers to go abroad and adapt to playing a different style of football.

Jun 24, 2008
Disappointed, as I did like him. I have had a feeling that he'd be off though and like many, I agree that he's steady rather then outstanding. We will replace him. I look forward to seeing who with.

That right back for Rotherham would be flippin' nice! Emmanuel was it?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
The Grumpy Loyal":yn4qjudn said:
Tugboat":yn4qjudn said:
Presto":yn4qjudn said:
Tugboat":yn4qjudn said:
Slightly peeved off with him to be fair.

If he went to a championship club he would get my thabks and blessing but to Belgium? Really?

And no fee either. Another kick in the balls from an important player.

What is your problem. He gave 100% for us but he is no different to the current generation of footballers. They have opportunities in a global market and have every right to take up what they perceived to be in their best interests.

All modern day footballers are bag carriers and do what they and their agents think is best. He worked for us, got paid by us and now has a new challenge. Thanks for what you did and good luck in your future career.

My ‘problem’ is that we’ve lost a decent player. Second to that we’ve lost him to a league that isn’t comparable to that of higher L1/championship standard. Thirdly we miss out on any financial reward for his development whilst at our club which would have been applicable if he had stayed in England.

Before you get your knickers in a twist remember that this is my own opinion of which I am entitled to have.

You can’t blame him for making this move. Argyle obviously miss out on a fee, but that isn’t Oscars problem. By going abroad, his new club get him for free which in turn puts him in a great bargaining position as regards salary.

No brainer for the lad really.

I’m not blaming him. I’m surprised by the move as it is a slightly ‘out of the ordinary’ kind of move for a L1 player that has some potential to move further up the leagues to then make a sideways move to another European country barring Spain or Italy.

I do hope it works out for him. No hard feelings but just surprised to be honest.

It’s like having a mid range Mondeo, saving for a while and maybe having the chance to buy a low spec BMW but chooses to spend it all on a top of the range Dacia Sandaro.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Quite disappointed TBH. Good player – and likely to get better too – easily good enough for an upper L1 or even Championship level IMO. Obviously we all hope for an improved replacement but I’d be quite relieved to get someone of equivalent standard.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Abbotts Ann Green":1cl99jf0 said:
When you look at some of our previous right backs (Gordon Nisbet anyone) I think he was distinctly average.
Well you are comparing him with by far our best ever right back. We have had others better too. If he hasn't pushed on then he should be replaceable.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Tugboat":3m3c36ti said:
The Grumpy Loyal":3m3c36ti said:
Presto":3m3c36ti said:
Slightly peeved off with him to be fair.

If he went to a championship club he would get my thabks and blessing but to Belgium? Really?

And no fee either. Another kick in the balls from an important player.

What is your problem. He gave 100% for us but he is no different to the current generation of footballers. They have opportunities in a global market and have every right to take up what they perceived to be in their best interests.

All modern day footballers are bag carriers and do what they and their agents think is best. He worked for us, got paid by us and now has a new challenge. Thanks for what you did and good luck in your future career.

My ‘problem’ is that we’ve lost a decent player. Second to that we’ve lost him to a league that isn’t comparable to that of higher L1/championship standard. Thirdly we miss out on any financial reward for his development whilst at our club which would have been applicable if he had stayed in England.

Before you get your knickers in a twist remember that this is my own opinion of which I am entitled to have.

You can’t blame him for making this move. Argyle obviously miss out on a fee, but that isn’t Oscars problem. By going abroad, his new club get him for free which in turn puts him in a great bargaining position as regards salary.

No brainer for the lad really.

I’m not blaming him. I’m surprised by the move as it is a slightly ‘out of the ordinary’ kind of move for a L1 player that has some potential to move further up the leagues to then make a sideways move to another European country barring Spain or Italy.

I do hope it works out for him. No hard feelings but just surprised to be honest.

It’s like having a mid range Mondeo, saving for a while and maybe having the chance to buy a low spec BMW but chooses to spend it all on a top of the range Dacia Sandaro.

It’s salary. No fee means his agent can nicely factor that in to salary negotiations. That wouldn’t be possible with a move to another club in this country.

I don’t think he’d be a first choice full back for any Championship club. He could obviously get more wages at a lot of other league 1 clubs, but he wouldn’t be in the bargaining position he’s in now as regards £££’s

Did a solid job for us. Good luck to him.

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
jerryatricjanner":2k76r649 said:
Abbotts Ann Green":2k76r649 said:
When you look at some of our previous right backs (Gordon Nisbet anyone) I think he was distinctly average.
Well you are comparing him with by far our best ever right back. We have had others better too. If he hasn't pushed on then he should be replaceable.
We've had worse goalkeepers down the years than Gordon too!

Lesmin

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 14, 2011
Wishing you all the best for the future thank you for everything you did for this club

Mar 14, 2009
I’m not sure about him tbh.

You see in my head l’ve been fortunate to watch Poole, Patterson etc.... there...

These players l watched and l can safely say were terrific right backs.

Then l think about Chris Billy. A player, like Threlkeld, who started off in midfield. The difference is he was criticised for those performances. Then the following season (or the one after that) he was converted to right back. An extraordinary season where if l remember rightly he was voted player of the season.

Now l mentioned Chris Billy because he improved vastly and his performances stood out. Oscar on the other hand was steady. Decent matches he had at times, but did he stand out?

Argyle needed much width from their full backs last year as we played narrow with two no 10’s. Sometimes though that service, from both sides of the pitch in terms of quality just wasnt there.

Charlton away and Rotherham home were games that spring to my mind. He was non existent in the Charlton game. Haven’t a clue who or what he was marking that day. The Rotherham at home game he came up against a tricky left sided midfielder who got the wrong side of him and those type of games just made me think he has good physical attributes but does he have good defensive instincts?

Anyhow, good luck to him at his new club.