The Checkatrade is here again | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Checkatrade is here again

Pootle's Pom Pom":2btge770 said:
Lancastergreen":2btge770 said:
So its assumption rather than fact?

Have a looksy here :-BBC announce the beginning of the end

It is fact - it was rightly shot down in flames 4 years ago, but B teams have still been allowed into a Football League competition.

Thank you for identifying a fascinating read, which I'd missed first time around. I think we have to assume that all this thinking was not Greg Dyke's alone, and this mind-set still exists in the FA. Scary.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
mervyn":517z4veg said:
Pootle's Pom Pom":517z4veg said:
Lancastergreen":517z4veg said:
So its assumption rather than fact?

Have a looksy here :-BBC announce the beginning of the end

It is fact - it was rightly shot down in flames 4 years ago, but B teams have still been allowed into a Football League competition.

Thank you for identifying a fascinating read, which I'd missed first time around. I think we have to assume that all this thinking was not Greg Dyke's alone, and this mind-set still exists in the FA. Scary.

Points to remember when reading this 4 year old article.

1 Greg Dyke is no longer at the FA
2 The EPL have never shown an interest in the idea
3 It has been Shawn Harvey who is desperate to secure more of the Premier League millions for EFL clubs . It has never been a PL initiative.
4. If it’s the thin end of the wedge then it’s the thin end of a wedge that doesn’t exist (IMO)

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
Lundan Cabbie":am0vjose said:
4. If it’s the thin end of the wedge then it’s the thin end of a wedge that doesn’t exist (IMO)
I'd like to agree with you but it's important that the fans continue to remind those that run the game that B-Teams in first team football are not acceptable so that no-one thinks they can get away with dusting the wedge off.

There are plenty of PL managers who have come from countries where B-Teams do play in the league and see nothing wrong with it, often at wealthy clubs with foreign owners ...

Sep 25, 2010
Mark_Colling":2cl4mmh8 said:
Lundan Cabbie":2cl4mmh8 said:
I'd like to agree with you but it's important that the fans continue to remind those that run the game that B-Teams in first team football are not acceptable so that no-one thinks they can get away with dusting the wedge off.

There are plenty of PL managers who have come from countries where B-Teams do play in the league and see nothing wrong with it, often at wealthy clubs with foreign owners ...

Plymouth Argyle have a B team in the Peninsula league, aren’t we being a bit contradictive

Mark Colling

♣️ PASTA Member
Sep 23, 2003
Brizzle
www.groupspaces.com
Martyn":3ouoog7m said:
Mark_Colling":3ouoog7m said:
Lundan Cabbie":3ouoog7m said:

Plymouth Argyle have a B team in the Peninsula league, aren’t we being a bit contradictive
I'd be more than happy to have a blanket ban anywhere in the pyramid.

I also will not attend ANY game in this competition as long as there are BTeams in it - and, yes, that does include a final at Wembley.

I hope that is clear.

(I'm never going to go to a game at the Franchise either)

Martyn":kxtymauo said:
Mark_Colling":kxtymauo said:
Lundan Cabbie":kxtymauo said:

Then boycott those games too!

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
The difference here though is the league our "B" team play in wouldn't allow us to ever get promoted to another at the expense of a team within that league.

The key issue with the prem B teams would be that they would be most likely capable of getting into the Championship without much of a struggle, forcing other teams who would be there out.

Whilst we're using the SWPL as a development league we are playing against semi-pros who are never expecting to make a living from playing football and are doing it more for the fun (I've made an assumption there but I think it's a fair one), whereas prem B teams would be playing against professional clubs, full of professional players who would be aggrieved to only be considered good enough to be "practice material" for the prem clubs.

John Cooper

Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Fixtures must be known to clubs as Swindon have published they take on Chelsea on August 7th.
Notts County and Grimsby have also published, so come on Argyle

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
John Cooper":drwtzbyt said:
Fixtures must be known to clubs as Swindon have published they take on Chelsea on August 7th.
Notts County and Grimsby have also published, so come on Argyle
Clubs organise them between themselves. Some clubs might have found it easier to agree dates than others. Some are announcing a couple at a time. Argyle may well be waiting to announce all at the same time.

Jan 20, 2004
The EFL needs to think of ways of sucking as much income as it can out of the millions generated by the Premier League television money.
To some clubs this money could be a lifeline. Before the creation of the Premier League, when it was 1st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th divisions, correct me if I am wrong, (No doubt someone will) money was filtered down to the lower divisions.
Up until the early seventies weren't gate receipts shared between both teams.
Not sure if this competition is the answer to the survival of smaller clubs but if the Premiership clubs see a benefit in blooding their youngsters against professional opposition from the EFL it creates a bargaining tool to draw on their wealth and have a say in the rules of the competition.

May 8, 2011
According to the BBC, the fixtures are

9th October Home to Swindon
30th October Home to Chelsea U21
13th November Away to Newport County.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
HC Green":1x8fqk6c said:

Ah dammit, I was planning to wash my hair on each of those evenings.

May 8, 2011
Dan Ellard":1xdq5f4m said:
HC Green":1xdq5f4m said:

Ah dammit, I was planning to wash my hair on each of those evenings.

You could always go and watch the Reserves play as they have SWPL matches home to St Austell on the 9th and home to Tavistock on the 30th. Ideal for all those who want to boycott the Checkatrade but still want to support the Club, particularly the youngsters.