The Checkatrade is here again | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Checkatrade is here again

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Has anyone ever used Checkatrade? Their sponsorship of this shambles has turned me off using them. Sort of anti-sponsorship.

Sep 25, 2010
Dan Ellard":3g6wlh3w said:
... in your opinion?

Or do you have any facts to back up your rather brief reply?

It has been previously stated in the last few pages

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
People disagree on this one and probably always will.

I certainly wouldn't condemn anyone for disagreeing, but I certainly have boycotted this completion since the U 21's have been allowed in.

Shame really as I used to attend them all, as it was good to see you team playing without the stress of normal games.

I don't trust Harvey and I certainly don't trust the "EPL".

Each to their own though.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Pogleswoody":2hptq6sl said:
Andy_S":2hptq6sl said:
Sidewinder":2hptq6sl said:
Sam Barker":2hptq6sl said:
Only thing good about this competition is the chuckles it gives me every year when fans come out with every excuse under the sun to justify attending these games.

You’re doing the opposite of supporting the club. Don’t even bother trying to say otherwise.

I come in peace as I think my view on this is probably naive and I still don't fully understand the whole argument. I have been fairly pro these games, although I've never been to one, for the following reasons;

It gives our fringe/youth players a useful run out (eg Fletcher last season)
It encourages local fans to bring their families which could encourage a new generation of Argyle fan.
These fans get a rare chance to see some of the Premier league stars of the future.
The club builds possible loan arrangements with some big clubs.

The argument against seems more grounded in smug conspiracy theories.

Has this competition really brought the worst case scenario any closer?

I feel that if someone chooses to attend these games they shouldn't be berated for doing so by those who choose not to.

Can we please, for once and for all, get this notion that it's a "run out" for our youngsters/fringe players?

It's not, it never has been and it never will be!

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/checkatrade-trophy/about-checkatrade/rules--regulations/

Go there and have a good read of Rule 7.

Football league clubs MUST play their strongest side available.

Failure to do so WILL result in a GBP5,000 fine.

The only thing that this dumb competition is any good for is clogging up an already crowded fixture list, an accumulation of injuries, yellow and red cards.

Nothing else!

Four players out of ten! Includes any players who have played 40 first team games wherever or whenever so, not difficult to play four first team squad players and six youngsters (Goalies appear exempt!) plus you can play players you have on loan!

Not keen on this competition but the rules don't make you play your first team ... unless you want to!!

Ok, where to start.

Agreed, you have to play 4 out of ten. Which four? They HAVE to be regular first team players, one of the conditions is that they have played in the last game, or will play in the next. The latter is a bit difficult if you have been crocked in a crap Checkatrade game.

You cannot simply pick a side to play.

You first have to select from a list of ten players who are the "top ten" regular players. Or from a list of players that have played 40 or more games.

These are NOT fringe or youth players. This is our bread and butter players that we will be using to get into the Championship, not the Western League.

Because it is deemed by Harvey that this is a "first XI" competition, red and yellow cards issued in these games are included in the league totals.

As Ian rightly says, when this was the JPT, it was an honest competition, for 3rd and 4th division teams only. THAT was a competition where we could field a team of "fringe/youth" players. The instant that Harvey and his cronies got involved and brought in the "selected" teams, stick it where the sun doesn't shine!

Of course, my despising of this competition, in this format, is purely my opinion and, of course, there will be those who will welcome the Premiersh!t "stars of the future". Good luck!

Sep 25, 2010
Andy_S":2mc1f5ln said:
Pogleswoody":2mc1f5ln said:
Andy_S":2mc1f5ln said:
Sidewinder":2mc1f5ln said:
Sam Barker":2mc1f5ln said:
Only thing good about this competition is the chuckles it gives me every year when fans come out with every excuse under the sun to justify attending these games.

You’re doing the opposite of supporting the club. Don’t even bother trying to say otherwise.

I come in peace as I think my view on this is probably naive and I still don't fully understand the whole argument. I have been fairly pro these games, although I've never been to one, for the following reasons;

It encourages local fans to bring their families which could encourage a new generation of Argyle fan.
These fans get a rare chance to see some of the Premier league stars of the future.

I feel that if someone chooses to attend these games they shouldn't be berated for doing so by those who choose not to.

Can we please, for once and for all, get this notion that it's a "run out" for our youngsters/fringe players?

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/checkatrade-trophy/about-checkatrade/rules--regulations/

The only thing that this dumb competition is any good for is clogging up an already crowded fixture list, an accumulation of injuries, yellow and red cards.

Nothing else!

Four players out of ten! Includes any players who have played 40 first team games wherever or whenever so, not difficult to play four first team squad players and six youngsters (Goalies appear exempt!) plus you can play players you have on loan!

Not keen on this competition but the rules don't make you play your first team ... unless you want to!!

Ok, where to start.

Agreed, you have to play 4 out of ten. Which four? They HAVE to be regular first team players, one of the conditions is that they have played in the last game, or will play in the next. The latter is a bit difficult if you have been crocked in a crap Checkatrade game.

You first have to select from a list of ten players who are the "top ten" regular players. Or from a list of players that have played 40 or more games.

These are NOT fringe or youth players. This is our bread and butter players that we will be using to get into the Championship, not the Western League.

Because it is deemed by Harvey that this is a "first XI" competition, red and yellow cards issued in these games are included in the league totals.

As Ian rightly says, when this was the JPT, it was an honest competition, for 3rd and 4th division teams only. THAT was a competition where we could field a team of "fringe/youth" players. The instant that Harvey and his cronies got involved and brought in the "selected" teams, stick it where the sun doesn't shine!

Of course, my despising of this competition, in this format, is purely my opinion and, of course, there will be those who will welcome the Premiersh!t "stars of the future". Good luck!

My god, you have to calm down,

You have answered your own questions, this format benefits, our squad, it gives DA the chance to play, players in the squad, play players coming back from injury, play players coming back from suspension, DA seems ok with it.

We can use this comp to benefit us, we have a bigger and better squad, let’s use it to fit us, or else our first team squad will be playing peninsula football, which is not good.

As it is a first team comp, of course cautions and sendings off are valid

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Martyn":ppv3rmu2 said:
Andy_S":ppv3rmu2 said:
Pogleswoody":ppv3rmu2 said:
Andy_S":ppv3rmu2 said:
Sidewinder":ppv3rmu2 said:
Sam Barker":ppv3rmu2 said:

Nothing else!

Ok, where to start.

My god, you have to calm down,

You have answered your own questions, this format benefits, our squad, it gives DA the chance to play, players in the squad, play players coming back from injury, play players coming back from suspension, DA seems ok with it.

We can use this comp to benefit us, we have a bigger and better squad, let’s use it to fit us, or else our first team squad will be playing peninsula football, which is not good.

As it is a first team comp, of course cautions and sendings off are valid

You want to play into Harvey's hands...good luck but don't come running when you see Chelsea Reserves turn up for a 4th Division game, at the expense of a real football team.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
I'm still a bit confused about this b team in the league suggestion. Is there a link to show me that this donkey has stated it is his intention? Or, is this simply fans being peed off that a joke tournament has been meddled with and put 2 and 2 together and got five?

The belief is that having Premier League B teams inserted into a competition previously the sole domain of league 2 and 3 teams, is just the thin end of the wedge whereby we would eventually see the same, only in the football league.

Personally, I believe this to be the sole intention of Harvey, and I'm scared shitless about the implications of that. If you're happy to see Argyle/Exeter/Luton/Swindon replaced by Newcastle B, then more fool you.

It'll never happen? Just look at Spain. My own team, playing in Europe as recently as 10 years ago, hit financial issues (unscrupulous owner), relegated, relegated again, missed out on promotion this season finishing below Sporting B, Sociedad B and Bilbao B. Now ask yourself how you'd feel if this season we missed out because we finished below Everton B. Leicester B and Southampton B?

Sure, we might have short term exposure of some of our players, but long term we see the death of our football club. This competition is the thin end of that wedge.

Your shout.

Lancastergreen

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
So its assumption rather than fact?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Bermudian Green":ft4nef4o said:
The belief is that having Premier League B teams inserted into a competition previously the sole domain of league 2 and 3 teams, is just the thin end of the wedge whereby we would eventually see the same, only in the football league.

Personally, I believe this to be the sole intention of Harvey, and I'm scared shitless about the implications of that. If you're happy to see Argyle/Exeter/Luton/Swindon replaced by Newcastle B, then more fool you.

It'll never happen? Just look at Spain. My own team, playing in Europe as recently as 10 years ago, hit financial issues (unscrupulous owner), relegated, relegated again, missed out on promotion this season finishing below Sporting B, Sociedad B and Bilbao B. Now ask yourself how you'd feel if this season we missed out because we finished below Everton B. Leicester B and Southampton B?

Sure, we might have short term exposure of some of our players, but long term we see the death of our football club. This competition is the thin end of that wedge.

Your shout.
What is it you suggest? Boycott the competition? They've already shown they don't care about that. If people don't want it they need to think of a more elaborate way to protest. Two seasons people have boycotted and two seasons the FL haven't cared. To continue a boycott in to a third year is more of a 'do nothing' approach and is basically just sitting back and letting it happen.

Lancastergreen

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
There really is nothing more you can do. I have never liked this cup, I also don't want to see the inclusion of b teams in any competition, be it cup or league but if its going to happen then it will. However, for this to happen surely its going to take more than one man to sanction it?

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Andy_S":9894cyvf said:
Pogleswoody":9894cyvf said:
Andy_S":9894cyvf said:
Sidewinder":9894cyvf said:
Sam Barker":9894cyvf said:

Nothing else!

Ok, where to start.

That is what the EU call cherrypicking. You can choose players who have played 40 games ever for anyone (First Team games).

So we had players like Miller, Wylde, Songo'o, Sokolik .. there job done!!

No Carey or Taylor to be risked. You don't have to play your 'Top Ten' players.

I agree with you about the Prem B teams but an argument needs to be based on (actual) facts .. doesn't it? :think:

Lancastergreen

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Pootle's Pom Pom":3jerauc2 said:
Lancastergreen":3jerauc2 said:
So its assumption rather than fact?

Have a looksy here :-BBC announce the beginning of the end

It is fact - it was rightly shot down in flames 4 years ago, but B teams have still been allowed into a Football League competition.

Thank you, I will have a read.