The Checkatrade is here again | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Checkatrade is here again

Jul 25, 2011
Kentishgreen":5t0kv7se said:
Yes do you remember when there was a 40K plus crowd at a combination game against Spurs back in the 60’s. They had just re-signed Greavsie. I know he remembered it when I saw him at a function where he was guest speaker a few years ago.
Possibly 20 k but never 40 k for a reserve match surely?

Jul 25, 2011
Lancastergreen":1dcpmsqq said:
And in the meantime being you're holding two group matches at home, paying the bills and taking in the £20k, which leaves clubs with what? Not a lot if anything I would assume. But let's pretend the premier kids are no longer in the tournament, in what way is it any better? You still get record low attendance's, so its still a pointless one.
I found myself sat next to a one of Michael grades flunkies at a European cup final and discussing one of his brainchildren of the day to introduce premier league reserve teams into league 1 and 2 because ( insert one excuse fits all) it’d improve the national team etc. I explained that the lower leagues weren’t here merely as as an enabling device for the big boys to extend their already lopsided advantage over the teams they clearly considered little more than feeder clubs. I said can you imagine the contempt Pompey fans would have for eg ? How would they treat the indignity of playing Southampton or Bournemouth reserves in a league fixture ? ‘Oh I’d never looked at like that’ clearly not.

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
Only thing good about this competition is the chuckles it gives me every year when fans come out with every excuse under the sun to justify attending these games.

You’re doing the opposite of supporting the club. Don’t even bother trying to say otherwise.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
When is the draw or has it already be done. It so what are the games home or away?

Mike Greening":1if5xh2y said:
When is the draw or has it already be done. It so what are the games home or away?

I don't think anybody cares.

However, this is the draw for the 2022/23 knock out stage:

Southampton reserves (from League 2)
Chelsea B team (from League 1)
Tottenham Youth (from Premier 2 division)
Plymouth Arsenal (from the Lidl Premier League Feeder Club Division Southwest)

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
I think it’s another income stream so should be treated as such.. the better we do in it the better wages we can pay and I’d live a day out at Wembley..

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
JannerinCardiff":2jk1cmo6 said:
I think it’s another income stream so should be treated as such.. the better we do in it the better wages we can pay and I’d live a day out at Wembley..
you're gonna get your ears boxed mate.

May 29, 2011
Bristol
Sam Barker":27yhq3hb said:
Only thing good about this competition is the chuckles it gives me every year when fans come out with every excuse under the sun to justify attending these games.

You’re doing the opposite of supporting the club. Don’t even bother trying to say otherwise.

I come in peace as I think my view on this is probably naive and I still don't fully understand the whole argument. I have been fairly pro these games, although I've never been to one, for the following reasons;

It gives our fringe/youth players a useful run out (eg Fletcher last season)
It encourages local fans to bring their families which could encourage a new generation of Argyle fan.
These fans get a rare chance to see some of the Premier league stars of the future.
The club builds possible loan arrangements with some big clubs.

The argument against seems more grounded in smug conspiracy theories.

Has this competition really brought the worst case scenario any closer?

I feel that if someone chooses to attend these games they shouldn't be berated for doing so by those who choose not to.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Sidewinder":8o8uguiv said:
I come in peace as I think my view on this is probably naive and I still don't fully understand the whole argument. I have been fairly pro these games, although I've never been to one, for the following reasons;

It encourages local fans to bring their families which could encourage a new generation of Argyle fan.
These fans get a rare chance to see some of the Premier league stars of the future.

See, now that’s a reasoned argument beyond just ‘you should support your team no matter what’.

I still disagree as I fundamentally feel Premier League B teams in a first-team competition is wrong and sets a dangerous precedent if supported, but they’re all very good points :thumbup:

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Sidewinder":2lt0yjaq said:
Sam Barker":2lt0yjaq said:

I feel that if someone chooses to attend these games they shouldn't be berated for doing so by those who choose not to.

Can we please, for once and for all, get this notion that it's a "run out" for our youngsters/fringe players?

It's not, it never has been and it never will be!

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/checkatrade-trophy/about-checkatrade/rules--regulations/

Go there and have a good read of Rule 7.

Football league clubs MUST play their strongest side available.

Failure to do so WILL result in a GBP5,000 fine.

The only thing that this dumb competition is any good for is clogging up an already crowded fixture list, an accumulation of injuries, yellow and red cards.

Nothing else!

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Sidewinder":15jrp8tf said:
Sam Barker":15jrp8tf said:

Strange choice of words to use against someone who believes they are doing the right thing for their club.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Andy_S":1sg6bsld said:
Sidewinder":1sg6bsld said:
Sam Barker":1sg6bsld said:

Can we please, for once and for all, get this notion that it's a "run out" for our youngsters/fringe players?

https://www.efl.com/clubs-and-competitions/checkatrade-trophy/about-checkatrade/rules--regulations/

The only thing that this dumb competition is any good for is clogging up an already crowded fixture list, an accumulation of injuries, yellow and red cards.

Nothing else!

Four players out of ten! Includes any players who have played 40 first team games wherever or whenever so, not difficult to play four first team squad players and six youngsters (Goalies appear exempt!) plus you can play players you have on loan!

Not keen on this competition but the rules don't make you play your first team ... unless you want to!!

Sep 25, 2010
Andy_S":2vqj0jql said:
Sidewinder":2vqj0jql said:
Sam Barker":2vqj0jql said:

Nothing else!

Sorry, but you are wrong in practically every point