The Checkatrade is here again | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Checkatrade is here again

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Martyn":3q5jfjd8 said:
Look,priorities are,

1) Division one promotion,
2) do well in the FA Cup
3) do well in the League Cup
4) do well in the Cheackatrade

5) Do well in the Reserve league
6) do well in the peninsular league.

What’s the problem ?

Regardless of the merits, or lack of them, of the Checkatrade I would put the competition last in the above list as Peninsula success and reserve success will be an indication of the strength of our current and future squads.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Didn't one team substitute their goalkeeper not long after the game kicked off? By naming him in the starting X1 they'd conformed to the rules. It's farcical.

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Keepitgreen":iywkp6f3 said:
Didn't one team substitute their goalkeeper not long after the game kicked off? By naming him in the starting X1 they'd conformed to the rules. It's farcical.

45 seconds I think it was.

Yes Martyn, we SHOULD be able to field a reserve team, which is no different to what the Premiersh!t sides do in both the FA and FL cup competitions against lesser opposition.

The problem is, that Harvey and his corrupt cronies have skewed this competition so badly that if we do, we get fined.

Remember that this competition used to be the Johnstone Paint Trophy which was exclusive to 3rd and 4th Division clubs.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
Even then it was a pointless competition

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
But it was OUR competition and a legitimate one, to boot.

Lancastergreen

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
However, we are where we are. Now I think the mission is to raise awareness of this competition and its possible implications to the wider audience. Clearly not everyone knows of the reasons for the b team inclusion and as amazing a forum that PASOTI is, not many come on here ( in relation to fans supporting Argyle ).
So rather than bitching about it on here, why aren't we taking this to the wider audience ?

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Lancastergreen":33z3yeov said:
However, we are where we are. Now I think the mission is to raise awareness of this competition and its possible implications to the wider audience. Clearly not everyone knows of the reasons for the b team inclusion and as amazing a forum that PASOTI is, not many come on here ( in relation to fans supporting Argyle ).
So rather than bitching about it on here, why aren't we taking this to the wider audience ?

Lost me there!

The majority of clubs supporters have been boycotting this competition since it's inception.

The Football League clubs have all voted on this and, as far as I am aware, the vast majority of the club Chairmen to Harvey to shove the competition where the sun doesn't shine. Enter the Premier League! Scudamore I think it was/is that then stated that in the event that the Premiersh!t teams weren't permitted to enter their "B" teams, the Premier League would then withdraw their pathetic funding of the 3rd and 4th Divisions.

I don't have a clue what that sum amounts to but clubs like Accrington Stanley instantly sucked air through their rectal sphincters and bottled out, siding with the Premier League and therefore Harvey.

James Brent voted AGAINST the competition for the record.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
PlymouthCasual":23ozrq4t said:
Argy1e":23ozrq4t said:
Dan Ellard":23ozrq4t said:
Martyn":23ozrq4t said:
I say again, I am not a supporter of this comp,but if an Argyle side are in it, then I will support the team.

We are doing exactly the same, when we enter our youth team team in the premier division of the peninsula league, against first teams, so how can we criticise

DA can you this comp to give game time to squad players

Also couldn’t believe last season, when some on here, actually wanted our Argyle side to lose games,

Disgraceful
Which of these would you rather:

- We get knocked out in the group stages of the pisspot, and make the playoffs

- We win the pisspot and just miss out on the playoffs?
Win it and miss out on the play-offs. I don't think we'd win the play-offs and they're not much of a money-spinner. Would also slightly disrupt our preparation for the season after. Whereas the money you get for progressing through the Checkatrade would be huge for us and really strengthen our position for the season after. No brainer.

One of the most Ridiculous comments I have seen on this page in my four years worth of viewing. Sacrificing a play off spot to get promoted to the Championship to win the most pathetic cup in circulation! Utterly shocked and embarrassed!
It's only a ridiculous comment if you've not read it properly or don't understand it. We would be much better placed to challenge if we'd got the money a run in the Checkatrade would provide. You call it the most pathetic cup in circulation, but winning it would give us more money than a realistic cup run in either the FA Cup or League Cup. For a club in our league it should be taken seriously. The money for a club like Argyle is serious money and we're better than most of the sides that enter so it's not unrealistic that we could win it. The play-offs really are nothing special. In previous seasons when we've made the play-offs we've been told that it had a negative impact on us preparing for the season after. With us unlikely to win the play-offs and with no real financial benefit to it and with the delays to the next season it could hinder us more in the long run than the other option. Your preferred choice is to turn down significant windfall to be in the play-offs. We might win them, sure. But then we go up and to be honest, we're not ready to. Our infrastructure is still miles behind a lot of clubs even at this level and we would struggle to compete in the Championship if we were to go up now. That sounds great...I'd rather we build and be more prepared. You can be shocked and embarrassed if you want, but that's just pathetic.

Army green":23ozrq4t said:
So by your theory Argy1e the checkatrade trophy is now the most important competition argyle will play in this season?
No. The league is more important of course. But I'm not saying I want us to get relegated and win it. A midtable finish and winning the Checkatrade would put the club in a much healthier position and it really is that simple. It's not always about doing things immediately. Some times you have to realise where you're at and know how to build to be prepared for the next level.

Argy1e":3kq3d2n4 said:
It's only a ridiculous comment if you've not read it properly or don't understand it. We would be much better placed to challenge if we'd got the money a run in the Checkatrade would provide. You call it the most pathetic cup in circulation, but winning it would give us more money than a realistic cup run in either the FA Cup or League Cup. For a club in our league it should be taken seriously. The money for a club like Argyle is serious money and we're better than most of the sides that enter so it's not unrealistic that we could win it. The play-offs really are nothing special. In previous seasons when we've made the play-offs we've been told that it had a negative impact on us preparing for the season after. With us unlikely to win the play-offs and with no real financial benefit to it and with the delays to the next season it could hinder us more in the long run than the other option. Your preferred choice is to turn down significant windfall to be in the play-offs. We might win them, sure. But then we go up and to be honest, we're not ready to. Our infrastructure is still miles behind a lot of clubs even at this level and we would struggle to compete in the Championship if we were to go up now. That sounds great...I'd rather we build and be more prepared. You can be shocked and embarrassed if you want, but that's just pathetic.
I think you are overestimating the value of the Mickey Mouse cup quite significantly there Argy1e. Yeovil estimated that last year their run to the semi final netted them £155,000. (https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-much-prize-money-yeovil-1178496. Had they won the trophy, that would have been £250,000.

Our FA Cup third round ties against Liverpool was valued at over a million pound.https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38553260

Even without the plum Liverpool tie, getting to the third round this year would be worth over £90,000 without gate receipts as prize money has been doubled this year http://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/more/prize-fundhttp://www.thefa.com/news/2018/jan/09/emirates-fa-cup-prize-fund-doubled-090118

And we can win that money without having to sell our soul to the Premier League.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Pootle's Pom Pom":tv17qand said:
I think you are overestimating the value of the Mickey Mouse cup quite significantly there Argy1e. Yeovil estimated that last year their run to the semi final netted them £155,000. (https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/how-much-prize-money-yeovil-1178496. Had they won the trophy, that would have been £250,000.

Our FA Cup third round ties against Liverpool was valued at over a million pound.https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/38553260

Even without the plum Liverpool tie, getting to the third round this year would be worth over £90,000 without gate receipts as prize money has been doubled this year http://www.thefa.com/competitions/thefacup/more/prize-fundhttp://www.thefa.com/news/2018/jan/09/emirates-fa-cup-prize-fund-doubled-090118

And we can win that money without having to sell our soul to the Premier League.
Just looked it up. I did a little. I had the total competition prize money in my head as the prize money for the winner. However, it's still a substantial fee for a club in like Argyle. The reported Yeovil figure is wrong, it was more than that. Not that much more, but I'm not sure where they've got that figure from.

The Liverpool games were NOT valued at over a million, that cup run in total was valued at over a million. Getting to the third round this year would be worth 90k? Nice. But not that nice. If we were to win in round three in the Checkatrade it would be worth more. (Assuming the figures are the same as last season)

Argy1e":1j1zk1b4 said:
The Liverpool games were NOT valued at over a million, that cup run in total was valued at over a million. Getting to the third round this year would be worth 90k? Nice. But not that nice. If we were to win in round three in the Checkatrade it would be worth more. (Assuming the figures are the same as last season)

Again, that's not strictly true as you are not comparing like for like.

Getting to the third round of the FA Cup would be worth £90k. Getting to the third round of the Checkatrade Cup would be worth only £50k max, providing we won all three group games (prize money here:- http://blog.checkatrade.com/2016/08/30/checkatrade-trophy-all-set-for-kick-off/. Even winning the third round is only another £40k, so having played and won five matches you'd still only have received the same prize money as two FA Cup wins.

I'm not being deliberately argumentative, just trying to demonstrate that the value of the cup isn't as much as believed and comes at the massive cost of admitting Premier League reserve teams into the football league through the back door.

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Pootle's Pom Pom":3uesw2es said:
Argy1e":3uesw2es said:

Getting to the third round of the FA Cup would be worth £90k. Getting to the third round of the Checkatrade Cup would be worth only £50k max, providing we won all three group games (prize money here:- http://blog.checkatrade.com/2016/08/30/checkatrade-trophy-all-set-for-kick-off/. Even winning the third round is only another £40k, so having played and won five matches you'd still only have received the same prize money as two FA Cup wins.

I'm not being deliberately argumentative, just trying to demonstrate that the value of the cup isn't as much as believed and comes at the massive cost of admitting Premier League reserve teams into the football league through the back door.
You get 20k just for being in it, so that's 110k.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Pootle's Pom Pom":1v4mepj8 said:
Argy1e":1v4mepj8 said:

That blog is an old one. PRIZE money has gone up from £1.9m to £3m. I'm not a supporter of the competition I hasten to add.

Keepitgreen":15lcvo8l said:
Pootle's Pom Pom":15lcvo8l said:
Argy1e":15lcvo8l said:

That blog is an old one. PRIZE money has gone up from £1.9m to £3m. I'm not a supporter of the competition I hasten to add.

The majority of that additional £1.05m has gone on a bribe for each league club of £20k. Sorry, I mean an appearance fee for taking part of £20k for each league team as Argy1e pointed out (and I overlooked).

This means that the actual prize money for winning games has only actually increased by £90k which is given to the quarterfinalists and later.

Lancastergreen

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
And in the meantime being you're holding two group matches at home, paying the bills and taking in the £20k, which leaves clubs with what? Not a lot if anything I would assume. But let's pretend the premier kids are no longer in the tournament, in what way is it any better? You still get record low attendance's, so its still a pointless one.