The Checkatrade is here again | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Checkatrade is here again

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I'm ready to be brandished a "non-fan" or "not a true supporter" for this opinion, but I really want Argyle to do well in every competition that actually matters. And this B Team pisspot trophy ain't one of them.

Having the unnecessary distraction of these games can in no way help our cause in the league / proper cups. Therefore I hope we only play first teamers that really need the match fitness, and aside from that just play the kids, taking the fine if necessary. If Adams does decide to play close to an actual first team in this competition (as he has done in previous years) I hope we get knocked out as early as possible. As the distractions of additional knockout matches will in no way help our cause in the proper competitions.

Not going to attend any matches. We shouldn't have to pander to the EFL and this ridiculous idea. Back the boycott.

Sorry if this doesn't make me a proper fan...

Sep 25, 2010
X Isle":2a8q619s said:
Martyn":2a8q619s said:
Brussels Bureaucrat":2a8q619s said:
I'd imagine that a home game against Swansea reserves on a Champions League Tuesday night will be quite the hot ticket.

The sooner this wretched competition is put out of its misery, the better.

Oh no, not this again. It does not matter what comp. we are in, support your team
Oh no, not that lame old defence again. It DOES matter what the competition is, football is bigger than your team.

If you don't like being reminded that you sell out by supporting this competition and being a B team apologist, then don't support the competition and stop being a B team apologist.

It really is that simple because the thinking fans objections will not stop until the competition stops.

If it is Argyle B team, then I will support it simples

Sep 25, 2010
I say again, I am not a supporter of this comp,but if an Argyle side are in it, then I will support the team.

We are doing exactly the same, when we enter our youth team team in the premier division of the peninsula league, against first teams, so how can we criticise

DA can you this comp to give game time to squad players

Also couldn’t believe last season, when some on here, actually wanted our Argyle side to lose games,

Disgraceful

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
My take is that there is no need for the two midweek cup competitions. Clubs should not be expected to play extra games midweek. The League and the FA Cup should be it. The other two cups are 'who gives a monkeys' cups.

Lancastergreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁥󠁮󠁧󠁿
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Jan 12, 2017
Plymouth
But can you not choose to not enter these competitions?

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Lancastergreen":2ubv6xjn said:

Don’t think so and, contrary to the belief of some, we...that is ANY League side cannot enter a “reserve” side into the competition. We have to play 1st XI players and any other players who played in a league game in so many days. Can’t remember the exact wording but any league side that comprises mainly reserve/youth players is fined by the football league.

Those of you who refer to the organising body as the “EFL” have already fallen into Harvey’s rebranding fiasco. It is THE Football League, the oldest and original, nothing else.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Martyn":x7kmth8e said:
I say again, I am not a supporter of this comp,but if an Argyle side are in it, then I will support the team.

We are doing exactly the same, when we enter our youth team team in the premier division of the peninsula league, against first teams, so how can we criticise

Also couldn’t believe last season, when some on here, actually wanted our Argyle side to lose games,

Disgraceful
Which of these would you rather:

- We get knocked out in the group stages of the pisspot, and make the playoffs

- We win the pisspot and just miss out on the playoffs?

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
Dan Ellard":14hinhjk said:
Martyn":14hinhjk said:

Disgraceful

Win it and miss out on the play-offs. I don't think we'd win the play-offs and they're not much of a money-spinner. Would also slightly disrupt our preparation for the season after. Whereas the money you get for progressing through the Checkatrade would be huge for us and really strengthen our position for the season after. No brainer.

Sep 25, 2010
Dan Ellard":1zavxcx7 said:
Martyn":1zavxcx7 said:

Disgraceful

The question is irrelevant, we have no choice but to enter the comp.

You can play squad players in this comp, I repeat it gives game time to other players, DA has also entered a reserve league.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
Martyn":cau99njn said:
Dan Ellard":cau99njn said:
Martyn":cau99njn said:

Disgraceful

The question is irrelevant, we have no choice but to enter the comp.

You can play squad players in this comp, I repeat it gives game time to other players, DA has also entered a reserve league.
How is it irrelevant?

Do you want us to potentially hinder our league campaign by progressing in this mickey mouse tournament? That's all I'm asking.

Sep 19, 2015
Argy1e":2amxoawv said:
Dan Ellard":2amxoawv said:
Martyn":2amxoawv said:

Disgraceful

Win it and miss out on the play-offs. I don't think we'd win the play-offs and they're not much of a money-spinner. Would also slightly disrupt our preparation for the season after. Whereas the money you get for progressing through the Checkatrade would be huge for us and really strengthen our position for the season after. No brainer.

One of the most Ridiculous comments I have seen on this page in my four years worth of viewing. Sacrificing a play off spot to get promoted to the Championship to win the most pathetic cup in circulation! Utterly shocked and embarrassed!

Mar 8, 2016
So by your theory Argy1e the checkatrade trophy is now the most important competition argyle will play in this season?

Sep 25, 2010
Look,priorities are,

1) Division one promotion,
2) do well in the FA Cup
3) do well in the League Cup
4) do well in the Cheackatrade

5) Do well in the Reserve league
6) do well in the peninsular league.

What’s the problem ?

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Andy_S":18e2l7x8 said:
Lancastergreen":18e2l7x8 said:

Don’t think so and, contrary to the belief of some, we...that is ANY League side cannot enter a “reserve” side into the competition. We have to play 1st XI players and any other players who played in a league game in so many days. Can’t remember the exact wording but any league side that comprises mainly reserve/youth players is fined by the football league.

Yes, that's my understanding too. It led to a farcical situation a couple of years ago when Luton picked a load of (very good) young players and handily beat a Premier League B team. Luton got a fined for not fielding their first XI!

Sep 25, 2010
Brussels Bureaucrat":3ac5fr5k said:
Andy_S":3ac5fr5k said:
Lancastergreen":3ac5fr5k said:

Yes, that's my understanding too. It led to a farcical situation a couple of years ago when Luton picked a load of (very good) young players and handily beat a Premier League B team. Luton got a fined for not fielding their first XI!

I agree with you on this point, each club should be able to field their squad/fringe players supplemented by youth players, after all the Prem clubs are doing so.