$chuey to Stoke City? | Page 16 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

$chuey to Stoke City?

Will Schuey move to Stoke City?

• No

Votes: 136 29.6%
  • Yes

Votes: 203 44.1%
  • I ain't got a Scooby

Votes: 121 26.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2006
Not trying to diss our own gaffer here but isn't he a bit inexperienced at top end championship level trying to push for promotion which is Stokes ambition albeit probably next season when Stoke make that push. It's a huge amount of pressure on one so new to the level. He has been managing in the championship for all but 5 months its a huge risk. If the manager up sticks we don't want to see him fail and we all know what these solid Championship clubs are like they are relentless. It's up to Schuey at the end of the day and it won't be an easy choice. If he upsticks we will have to wish him all the very best as it won't be an easy one for him.
Can't help feel that McKenna doing so well as an equally inexperienced manager coming up from League One, could be a factor here. If Ipswich were lower midtable doing nothing special I'd feel more relaxed about this.

Nov 18, 2015
If he does leave will he get the same treatment Ryan Lowe now gets?
He shouldn’t. I would be upset if Argyle fans didn’t recognise the amazing work Shuey has done. If he feels it’s time to leave then I can only respect that, safe in the knowledge agents for the top 5 managers we identified to replace Shuey will be getting calls from Parkinson today for the most seamless transition there can be.

Oct 19, 2021
To be honest, Stoke are the sort of club that would make sense as a next step for Schuey. They are bigger than Argyle, but not massively so, a bit like going to somewhere like Middlesbrough. They also have a Premier League set up in terms of their stadium and training facilities (pic below) and they seem to have money to burn. Yes, it is likely that he wouldn’t last long there if he presided over a poor run of results, but unfortunately that would be the case at 99% of clubs apart from Argyle.

I’m fairly relaxed about it to be honest, if he goes then I wish him well. I’m sure Argyle would have someone else lined up if so. IMG_8994.jpeg

Nov 18, 2011
Part of the reason that Schuey has done so well is the backroom support and the backroom data. Schuey hasn't got to where he is today by himself. He is supported by the club and is integral within a wider team. Would he get this at Stoke ... He may get loads of money but looking at their record, he would know that he will only be there for 1-2 years max and much less if the results are not forthcoming. If the back-office data is lacking then he will fail. Big choice ... stay with us for another season and get a safe apprenticeship in football management or go out into the big bad world and start eating the dogs before they eat you ...
The Coates family do back managers. They're not as trigger happy as many of the other Championship owners out there. Michael O'Neill was there for 3 years despite underachieving the whole time with the resources he had available.

They've also paid big money compensation before as well, it was the case with Gary Rowett.

It's fair to say though that they haven't had a great recent record with appointing managers recently.

Jan 6, 2004
If he does leave will he get the same treatment Ryan Lowe now gets?
Not from me. Despite what a few posters on here have imagined he has made us no promises and was always open that he was ambitious and would move on when the time was right. He is and will always be an Argyle legend and should be welcomed at HP at any time (unless managing the opposition in which case he will of course get some good natured stick)

Dec 30, 2020
Yeah but the reality is they wouldn't approach Argyle without an indication Schuey would be interested. Football is a small business, and we're talking about human beings with mobile phones.

I am pretty sure both Huddersfield and Swansea approached Argyle about Schuey, and he wasn't interested.

Stoke maybe a bigger club than those (I wouldn't say bigger, just miles richer owners) but when Huddersfield were interested it was only a few months after they lost the Championship playoff final while Argyle were still in L1 with a lot of the season still to play.

I think a lot would depend on what Stoke are prepared to spend to get Premier League football - they don't get parachute payments any more so without the owners putting money in they wouldn't be much more enticing than Argyle. But if they can pay him a lot more and give him a far bigger playing budget plus better facilities etc you can see why an ambitious manager might want to go.

Reactions: Said old Green

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Stoke definitely aren’t the chop and change club that people are making them out to be. They give manager’s more time than most in the Championship.

Dec 26, 2016
If the worst comes to the worst Shuey compensation could come in handy in January 🤷🏻‍♂️

Jan 6, 2004
We should not get too upset about this if it happens - unless you are one the global elite clubs two things can happen when you appoint a manager - they are a success and they move on to a bigger club for more money - or they are a failure and they end up being sacked - personally I prefer that our last two managers have been the former

Reactions: Dereham Green

Stevie Wotsa

✅ Evergreen
Nov 4, 2012
Devonport
Can't help feel that McKenna doing so well as an equally inexperienced manager coming up from League One, could be a factor here. If Ipswich were lower midtable doing nothing special I'd feel more relaxed about this.
He did work at Manchester Utd with some of the best coaches in europe Maybe Stoke see us as an easy target for an upcoming manager they can ruin for a huge amount of cash. :eek:

May 16, 2016
If he goes, he goes.

Argyle will continue regardless.

The difference for all those that compare it with the Lowe departure would be that Schuey would be honest enough to tell us he's going and give his reasons for going and at least appear humble and apologetic about it.

He'd then have the burden of trying to rebuild another team suited to his style while under the pressure of expectation from possibly yet another Championship over demanding fan base within a short timescale.

Last edited:
Sep 7, 2006
Gutted if Shuey goes, also can see Azaz being recalled and sold to Stoke if that’s the case as well as possibly a big money transfer for Morgan.
I am all for consistency but I hope if he does go we dont just offer it to Hughes

Status
Not open for further replies.