Mid-Table Finish? (And Grandstand Discussion) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mid-Table Finish? (And Grandstand Discussion)

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
X Isle":1gdh6v40 said:
Do you believe the grandstand is 50% of the story of Plymouth Argyle's 2013/14 season EJH?

That was the problem with it, and you know it. If he'd used half the article to raise the issue of us having a hand-me-down coach from CUFC it'd have no more relevant, no less of an out of place side issue on a season preview.

It's an absolutely huge deal for us. If fans from other clubs want to catch up with what's happening with our club, stuff that you wouldn't pick up in the national news, well the Mayflower is happening. It's controversial, and it is going to define our future as a club.

As John Lloyd said, if anyone had read other clubs, the blog covered everything from boardroom takeovers at other League Two clubs to dodgy dealings. The off pitch summary with Argyle was by no means out of place.

I used Brighton a few years ago as an example - when they were struggling to move out of that weedy old athletics track, when they were banging on the door of John Prescott, was that going to define their immediate season? Not at all - but did those developments warrant mentioning in a pre-season preview - definitely. It's informative and worth being informed on the overall health and future of a club, not just whether they may go up or go down within a certain 9 month campaign.

This whole thing has been blown well out of proportion - the lad has spent hours researching the affairs of 24 clubs to package into 1 paragraph summaries, and done a pretty decent job of it IMO.

He is being criticised for not being a tub thumping pro-JB, pro-development, jester hat wearing 'fan' - yet in reality how many of us actually are? How many of us need to go on twitter and promote the club's nauseating hashtag campaign, and hi-jack Herald articles telling casual readers from Eggbuckland how great JB is and what good work he is doing for the city, just so it balances out the comments from the rabid nutters. The blog takes the centre ground, maybe even slightly cynical (but by no means radical) by saying it is right to be sceptical of James Brent - as it is with any owner (not only have we had our fingers burnt in the past, but lost entire limbs).

Jul 29, 2010
We disagree, it's the capacity hang-up that has been blown out of all proportion, not the reaction to it's wholly misplaced presence on a pre season preview.

You treat it as a negative "big deal" if you wish to gaze at your navel, to the vast majority of Argyle fans it's not a big deal at all, many also see it as positive step forwards.

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
X Isle":ct7pz0yb said:
We disagree, it's the capacity hang-up that has been blown out of all proportion, not the reaction to it's wholly misplaced presence on a pre season preview.

You treat it as a negative "big deal" if you wish to gaze at your navel, to the vast majority of Argyle fans it's not a big deal at all, many also see it as positive step forwards.

Why add the word 'negative'? I said it was an 'absolutely huge deal' that is worth mentioning in a preview, no more no less. Plenty of people across the spectrum have strong opinions about it, and no other issue but JB's designs for the Mayflower has inspired multiple 50+ page threads in the past few years.

Jul 29, 2010
With 99% of the contributions from about two dozen people, hardly a "fissure" in the green army :funny:

Oct 24, 2010
If I recall the Pasoti polls gave the new stand a 70 - 80% disapproval rating and in another poll almost 50% would rather the stand wasn't built at all with it's proposed capacity.

Mar 21, 2013
Hmmm, I remember polls that were claimed to have a loaded question when they don't go some people's way, selective memory from some.

Oct 24, 2010
Don't_Panic":38bgz25b said:
Hmmm, I remember polls that were claimed to have a loaded question when they don't go some people's way, selective memory from some.
I don't think there was ever much chance of a Pasoti poll on this issue being loaded in favour of the "antis"

Mar 21, 2013
esmer":31a76erb said:
Don't_Panic":31a76erb said:
I don't think there was ever much chance of a Pasoti poll on this issue being loaded in favour of the "antis"

Paranoia? ;)

Oct 24, 2010
Don't_Panic":2q3e2io0 said:
esmer":2q3e2io0 said:
Don't_Panic":2q3e2io0 said:

Paranoia? ;)
Maybe

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
lloyd_down_under":21u6mwtu said:
GreenSam":21u6mwtu said:
However on the other hand, the stand issue really does have no impact on the season ahead. It won't be built by the end of it and, as with the trust statement row of last season, I don't think JS and the team let any of the fanbase politics bother them a jot. It's a relevant issue but not sure if it's relevant for that article really.

See my response of yesterday afternoon on this same thread as regards the supposed impact on this season, Sam. I'd wholeheartedly agree - I'm not sure Marvin Morgan really cares about our future capacity / how many concessions go directly to the club. My point as regards the issue potentially detracting from the season relates to the effect that it might have on my and other fans' enjoyment of the football rather than having a negative impact on JS and co...

And as for relevance, I think it absolutely does belong in the article. I may be in the minority but if I read a season preview then I don't just want to know about who's who at a particular club; I also want to get a feel for what's going on more generally and what the issues are. That curiosity is partly what the site is known for and it's served us well for readers so far.
Fair enough, can't argue with that really.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Pafcintheplace":137pby4q said:
esmer":137pby4q said:
If I recall the Pasoti polls gave the new stand a 70 - 80% disapproval rating and in another poll almost 50% would rather the stand wasn't built at all with it's proposed capacity.
I recall that too esmer

Spin?

52% rather they did,

That not a majority then?

:thumbs: