Mid-Table Finish? (And Grandstand Discussion) | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mid-Table Finish? (And Grandstand Discussion)

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I would suggest, that FordGreen's comment covers that.

They couldn't be that committed in the first place.

For example was there a question that asked Have you simply gone off Argyle?

Some of the loons on the net that stalk me, I would say a high proportion of them decided years ago not to come to PAFC again, and ever since, have attempted to convert others as a way of 'self justfying' their own actions.

I do not believe people would not come to Argyle because the ground may be deemed too small in the future, or that there's a cinema in the park, that would be bordering on the absurd.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
lloyd_down_under":qd0tzx1i said:
As the author of the piece I thought I’d come on to defend myself.

Firstly, I wouldn’t consider myself as someone that has an axe to grind or any particular agenda; if I did then I’d have been using the site to discuss Argyle much more over the last few months. As it is, the last Argyle related piece that went up was back in January shortly after Sheridan’s arrival. I think it picked up a nice mention on here, or ATD. One or the other.

Perhaps I may have been quite hyperbolic in my reference to a ‘fissure’, although if we’re deconstructing the piece then I did refer to those who are pro-build as ‘many’ and those who are less enthusiastic as ‘some’, indicating which side of the fence the majority of supporters lie. And as to my reference to the debate possibly detracting from our progress this season, I meant in the sense of spoiling the enjoyment that I – and other supporters – might get from a resurgence in form rather than in it actually affecting how well we do on the pitch. And I absolutely stand by that from a personal point of view, and judging by my Argyle circle I’d say about 1/3 of the others who really have a grip on what’s going on would as well.

If I’d known what a fuss I was going to cause then I’d have probably put everything more carefully, but trying to write 200 words on 24 different teams at this stage of the year when all you want to do is go outside and sit in sun can mean that these little things sometimes don’t get picked up as well as they might…

But, even though seeing some of the responses on here has been a bit disappointing in their spitefulness, it has been interesting to see which people have posted and in what kind of tone.

And, for the record, I don’t have a brother in law. As I noted in a tweet to you earlier Ian, I think you might be confusing us with another site, possibly Two Hundred Percent, who did so much to help publicise our plight during our period of administration.
An outrageously reasonable response – but quite funny that it was needed.

An interesting and informative few lines on all the L2 clubs - and when I read the Argyle bit then personally I glossed over the bit about the development other than being impressed the author (having no idea who it was) was even aware of such a thing.

But Jeez …………..how touchy are some people! A few ill-chosen words and then here come the Argyle Taliban in full fury wanting to burn the heretic. Quite funny but in a way quite scary too.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I think the simply gone off Argyle might be covered by points 3, 4 and 5 in the survey to some degree. I don't believe that more than a handful or two would actually decide to stop going on a point of principle simply due to the proposed stand and associated buildings and it would be a case of cutting off their nose to spite their face. To balance this there could just as easily be a handful or two who will decide to come this season as they finally see some hope of progress on and off the field. As regards your "stalkers" Ian might I suggest you just put them out of your mind and don't let them consume so much of your thoughts or you won't see 60 at this rate. Things are looking up both on and off the field hopefully, let's all concentrate on that and stop looking for so many hidden agendas on football threads. Ave It, I like your final sentence, it could and should have been avoided.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Looks like a slight increase on match day attendances looking at that, but marginal as season ticket holders are included now whether they attend more or not. It will be interesting. Will mid table mediocrity actually cost us fans if there are no key survival games to give a boost? I think it will take keeping in touch with the top 7 and a real go at them as the season progresses to see much of an improvement on the gates of last season.

T

The Grumpy Loyal

Don't_Panic":2pqrgxk2 said:
up_the_line":2pqrgxk2 said:
A thoroughly well researched piece.
Informative with regards to other clubs.
Re; us - I understood what was being inferred; that the grandstand) and associated chav amusement park will take the gloss off a successful season for (and I quote) "some".
I thought it was pretty damn neutral and refreshingly devoid of spin

You really do only see what you want to, regarding the stand it clearly wasn't neutral but they are entitled to their opinion. Back to the preview the blogger has a right to their opinion on the season ahead as do many to raise points in regards to the content, I really do not understand how some claim that it's wrong to do so, the hypocrisy of "well it's their opinion so they can say what they want but others can't have an opinion on that" is mind boggling.

I know you've only been here 5 minutes :shifty: , but if you'd taken the time to have a look, you'd have seen that the author couldn't in any way shape or form be branded as "one of the usual suspects". As usual Ian has gone off on one ably assisted by exile, and they've got it hopelessly wrong even to the point that Ian was foaming at the mouth because the author had obviously got it in for him personally. Only he got that wrong too. :facepalm:

Some people simply cannot accept any form of criticism. If you're totally disillusioned with all things Brent/Akkeron, you're a WUM. I don't even know what that is but rest assured it will be some form of insult.

Oct 24, 2010
The Doctor":2pjvl33w said:
Are there REALLY (many) people who will not go and support their team because they are "so disillusioned with the future ambition of the club"?

That seems like a really bizarre attitude to take and implies that you can only enjoy doing something now (or will only allow yourself to enjoy doing something) if you believe that things will be different in the future.

Isn't it enough to get enjoyment out of going along to support the team in doing its best whatever the result of a specific game? To enjoy the interaction with those you see on the day? To enjoy feeling part of something even if that something isn't perfect? To feel a sense of belonging? To feel part of a journey with an unknown destination?
The problem is that we now know the club's destination (or as far as we can go without that elusive sugar daddy) It isn't a question of petulance it is a question of how many (if any at all) have lost their enthusiasm for the club to the extent they don't have the urge to buy a season ticket or attend many games in future. At this juncture we can only speculate; the answer will come when season ticket sales are finalised and with the attendances of the first home games of the season

T

The Grumpy Loyal

I think if season ticket sales had been as good or better than the club had hoped, we'd have heard about it by now. Good PR 'an all that.

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
Just for those still giving it some that he has an agenda and should concentrate on football instead of JB's personal business (i.e. our football club), the lad said this:

"Sheridan has barely put a foot wrong"

"a stronger squad is slowly being pieced together"

"the club's backroom staff has been significantly bolstered, both at academy and first team level"

"for the first time in years, Argyle fans are looking forward to the new season"

Sounds like a pretty reasonable synopsis of what we have been doing with the first team squad since May.

For some reason, Brent's inner circle has jumped to his defence and wildly overreacted, seemingly not realising there is plenty of analysis offered on the footballing side - including a prediction of a comfortable midtable finish, don't forget.

Mar 21, 2013
The Grumpy Loyal":wixvtvxq said:
Don't_Panic":wixvtvxq said:
up_the_line":wixvtvxq said:
A thoroughly well researched piece.
Informative with regards to other clubs.
Re; us - I understood what was being inferred; that the grandstand) and associated chav amusement park will take the gloss off a successful season for (and I quote) "some".
I thought it was pretty damn neutral and refreshingly devoid of spin

You really do only see what you want to, regarding the stand it clearly wasn't neutral but they are entitled to their opinion. Back to the preview the blogger has a right to their opinion on the season ahead as do many to raise points in regards to the content, I really do not understand how some claim that it's wrong to do so, the hypocrisy of "well it's their opinion so they can say what they want but others can't have an opinion on that" is mind boggling.

I know you've only been here 5 minutes :shifty: , but if you'd taken the time to have a look, you'd have seen that the author couldn't in any way shape or form be branded as "one of the usual suspects". As usual Ian has gone off on one ably assisted by exile, and they've got it hopelessly wrong even to the point that Ian was foaming at the mouth because the author had obviously got it in for him personally. Only he got that wrong too. :facepalm:

Some people simply cannot accept any form of criticism. If you're totally disillusioned with all things Brent/Akkeron, you're a WUM. I don't even know what that is but rest assured it will be some form of insult.

What has the bit in bold got to do with the price of fish?! :crazy: If its regarding how much I post on here well thank you but I'm quite content that I don't spend far too much time on here posting & mostly read what's going on, why should that have anything to do with what I say? My first comment was more regarding uptheline not the person who wrote the blog. Your last comment cold easily be twisted the other way in that anyone who is happy with how things are & the plans for a new stand are Brent lovers, all in all it's all very boring, the same poo gets regurgitated & we all waste too much of our time, some more so then others I'd say ;)

Mar 21, 2013
ejh":4ia7bbcc said:
Just for those still giving it some that he has an agenda and should concentrate on football instead of JB's personal business (i.e. our football club), the lad said this:

"the club's backroom staff has been significantly bolstered, both at academy and first team level"

"for the first time in years, Argyle fans are looking forward to the new season"

Sounds like a pretty reasonable synopsis of what we have been doing with the first team squad since May.

For some reason, Brent's inner circle has jumped to his defence and wildly overreacted, seemingly not realising there is plenty of analysis offered on the footballing side - including a prediction of a comfortable midtable finish, don't forget.

Or some disagree with what he's said & have formed their own opinion on the article, is that allowed? Haven't blown your mind too much with that have we?

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
Don't_Panic":3hlylzeu said:
ejh":3hlylzeu said:

Or some disagree with what he's said & have formed their own opinion on the article, is that allowed? Haven't blown your mind too much with that have we?

More like some of you have discarded what he has actually said, then criticised him for not saying it and for having an anti-JB agenda. The lad apparently never mentioned football or anything about our chances on the pitch this season - what are all those quotes about then?.

Jul 29, 2010
Do you believe the grandstand is 50% of the story of Plymouth Argyle's 2013/14 season EJH?

That was the problem with it, and you know it. If he'd used half the article to raise the issue of us having a hand-me-down coach from CUFC it'd have no more relevant, no less of an out of place side issue on a season preview.

G

Green Monk

X Isle":118vuri1 said:
Do you believe the grandstand is 50% of the story of Plymouth Argyle's 2013/14 season EJH?

That was the problem with it, and you know it. If he'd used half the article to raise the issue of us having a hand-me-down coach from CUFC it'd have no more relevant, no less of an out of place side issue on a season preview.

That's it in a nutshell. The author admitted he only had so many words to use for each club and yet for HIS club (the one he supports) used half his words to push his agenda and talk about something that will not affect the new season.

Jul 29, 2010
LostPilgrim":2l69s1bb said:
8 pages on a 200 word season preview. It must be hard to get through life whilst getting so worked up over such trivial things!

Do you mean the preview or the issue of the stand? If you mean the stand I quite agree, a tiny minority gripe that had no place being there.