Mid-Table Finish? (And Grandstand Discussion) | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Mid-Table Finish? (And Grandstand Discussion)

Dec 7, 2006
It doesn't matter a single jot what this poll or that poll says, does it? It all comes down to what the Council Planning Committee decide so let's not get our proverbial knickers in a twist over this again, shall we? :roll:

Jul 6, 2011
FordGreen":2zkgburs said:
It doesn't matter a single jot what this poll or that poll says, does it? It all comes down to what the Council Planning Committee decide so let's not get our proverbial knickers in a twist over this again, shall we? :roll:

You're right, but I think the planners have already decided to push it through mostly because of associated city investment (ie the Pavillions).
I have nothing in principle against the basic plans, it will certainly be an improvement on the present situation and Brent has stated (on record) that the capacity will be enlarged if the club is successful. If you trust the man then there is no problem, if you don't then you wont trust any businessman because going by reputation he's the cream of the crop.

Apr 1, 2009
briangreen":26syi9km said:
FordGreen":26syi9km said:

You're right, but I think the planners have already decided to push it through mostly because of associated city investment (ie the Pavillions).
I have nothing in principle against the basic plans, it will certainly be an improvement on the present situation and Brent has stated (on record) that the capacity will be enlarged if the club is successful. If you trust the man then there is no problem, if you don't then you wont trust any businessman because going by reputation he's the cream of the crop.

Final sentence - whilst there are certainly a great many businessmen who are significantly less trustworthy, the "by reputation he's the cream of the crop" is a bit of a wild and unqualified assertion and not one I would agree with.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I'm sure it will go through with a few minor modifications especially with Mr Brent's past and future working relationship with PCC. I don't like the school/dentist, a non football related building encroaching on the footprint of the stadium itself especially when I have serious doubts about the cost effectiveness and therefore the likelihood of any future increase in capacity and would also have preferred a bit of space between the stand and the ice rink even if it meant encroaching on part of Cottage Field. I also think we were mislead a little over the income streams from units which now appear not to be for the club. As for JB being the cream of the crop, as far as PAFC are concerned I think it's far too early to make such judgements, only time will tell on that one. Overall despite my doubts about likely future expansion and a hope we could have squeezed just 2,000 more seats in I will be pleased to see it all done as there is nothing worse than the desolate, archaic, souless and depressing sight that is the current Mayflower side of the ground.

Mar 21, 2013
Ejh we and others throughout many threads are never going to fully agree on this, it's "all he said, she said, this poll, I was only saying because they started it" hot air, it's been argued to death is one thing we can all agree on, my issue has never been anyone else having a differing view it's only when things are twisted to back up each sides arguments or looked upon that one side seems to have the right answer to it all, there's too much trying to force someone to change their opinion for my liking.

Mar 21, 2013
xmastree":vkc6ut8f said:
Don't_Panic":vkc6ut8f said:
Before being so arrogant with your replies both lost pilgrim & ejh (not unusual for the later) I think you'll find that it's your merry band of men that keep bringing up polls & how they seem to somehow say that all & sundry are against the plans, most polls on here are pretty useless when used as a complete indicator as to the support either pro or against, & no I don't recall all other polls (which there were many in various disguises) being against the plans so we can disagree on that. Some may not like other people's opinion on the stand, I have absolutely NO issues with others having a different opinion it's only when they tar all with the same brush or try to bend the truth to suit them.

Edited to add lost pilgrim when you say things like fans being so blinkered against an alternative view, or words to that effect, you need to be aware of some like ejh who seem to spend large amounts of his time on here on every stand related thread trying to convince us, & trying hard I'll give him that, that he is right regarding the plans, the double standards from many as to who can say what & who is right is laughable. You guys go ahead & be against the plans, you are entitled to do so, some of us are happy with what's proposed so how about leaving it at that.

Amazed that people like Dont Panic are still banging on as if the key to the development was a reality tv style poll.

The question is will the development go ahead? That is down to the Planners. Relevence of objections (and to a lesser extent supportive submissions) are what will influence the decision - it's quality (relevence) not quantity that matters. All this rubbish about Pasoti polls is mindblowing nonsense. As for the "silent majority", which both sides have claimed, anyone who is silent will not have any influence.

At no point did I say the key to all this was a poll on here, or any poll online, I believe they're completely pointless or have been used by both sides to defend their argument incorrectly, that was the point I was making but thanks for missing that point.

In answer to esmer, this isn't meant to sound funny although I know how text can come across, I am just happy with the plans that have been presented, yes there are small details I would like to see different but not enough for me to be so against it, that is my stance at the end of the day & I don't like to be made out as less of fan or in brents inner circle because of that, not by yourself I must add but it has happend on here from some.

O

old redeyes

What that poll did show is that of those that care enough about the club to actually look into the detail of the development, half didn't want it. Not exactly praise most high.

The silent majority just see a pretty picture in the Herald or pafc.co.uk and get on with their lives, largely unaware that:
  • 1. Retail units in the actual stand are being sold to reduce the cost to Akkeron, not to sustain the club.
  • 2. The only expansion plan available due to poor planning is a bodge leaving posts blocking the view which will only happen in the extremely unlikely event the club reaches the Premier League.

I love a good Grandstand hijack, it's been the only interesting topic on here since the season ended. :thumbs:

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Half didn't want it? No true.

More than half on an internet website poll, did want it, but even that was less than 3% of the site's membership.

Perhaps your avatar gives a hint to why you would say that.

'Cheer up, it might not happen', as me old Gran used to say.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
old-redeyes":3epgurkd said:
What that poll did show is that of those that care enough about the club to actually look into the detail of the development, half didn't want it. Not exactly praise most high.

The silent majority just see a pretty picture in the Herald or pafc.co.uk and get on with their lives, largely unaware that:
  • 1. Retail units in the actual stand are being sold to reduce the cost to Akkeron, not to sustain the club.
  • 2. The only expansion plan available due to poor planning is a bodge leaving posts blocking the view which will only happen in the extremely unlikely event the club reaches the Premier League.

I love a good Grandstand hijack, it's been the only interesting topic on here since the season ended. :thumbs:

grand·stand

Noun:The main seating area, usually roofed, commanding the best view for spectators at racetracks or sports stadiums.

Verb:Seek to attract applause or favourable attention from spectators or the media. :shock: ;) :shock:

Jul 21, 2013
briangreen":2aywtdlf said:
FordGreen":2aywtdlf said:

Of course the Planners have already agreed to push it through !
To believe anything else is naive in the extreme. There may be a few minor alterations required but am sure James Brent knows they are coming. This development is certainly happening and in the interim a top ten finish would be a massive boost for the coming season

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Rattler":2wetj87d said:
Anyone thought about there is the possibility of redeveloping the lindy completely?

I think that given the new road layout the only realistic (affordability / logistics) future expansion would entail the Devonport being extensively remodelled.
This would give the ground a rather lop-sided, but at least unique appearance.
Hopefully if/when Argyle climb up the leagues again (under the astute leadership of JS), and the reality hits that the ground needs to hold more than 15000 Argyle supporters as the big games start coming around more and more frequently, then the way will have already been paved for the D'port to be converted to a 'safe-standing' end.

If/when Argyle regain CCC status it'll either be;
1.) £35 ticket prices (high demand versus low availability)
or
2.) Expand the ground (as much as possible close-season)

If we end up with a 22,000 - 25,000 ground one day with an extended, standing Devonport End then every single post (including mine) regarding the grandstand will be academic and personally I'd be happy that the ground was a suitable size.

Go on, some-one tell me that I'm being totally unreasonable and anti

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
To be honest I don't want it to happen (Higher Home Park Development) and I'm trying not to think about it, but it keeps cropping up. Obviously if it goes ahead then it'll be hard to ignore it going to Home Park.

I just have a bad feeling about it for the long term of the club and the message we are sending out about what we want to be and achieve.