Mid-Table Finish? (And Grandstand Discussion) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Mid-Table Finish? (And Grandstand Discussion)

L

lloyd_down_under

GreenSam":1ppp2h1z said:
However on the other hand, the stand issue really does have no impact on the season ahead. It won't be built by the end of it and, as with the trust statement row of last season, I don't think JS and the team let any of the fanbase politics bother them a jot. It's a relevant issue but not sure if it's relevant for that article really.

See my response of yesterday afternoon on this same thread as regards the supposed impact on this season, Sam. I'd wholeheartedly agree - I'm not sure Marvin Morgan really cares about our future capacity / how many concessions go directly to the club. My point as regards the issue potentially detracting from the season relates to the effect that it might have on my and other fans' enjoyment of the football rather than having a negative impact on JS and co...

And as for relevance, I think it absolutely does belong in the article. I may be in the minority but if I read a season preview then I don't just want to know about who's who at a particular club; I also want to get a feel for what's going on more generally and what the issues are. That curiosity is partly what the site is known for and it's served us well for readers so far.

P

plimuff

lloyd_down_under":1ikxa62e said:
GreenSam":1ikxa62e said:
However on the other hand, the stand issue really does have no impact on the season ahead. It won't be built by the end of it and, as with the trust statement row of last season, I don't think JS and the team let any of the fanbase politics bother them a jot. It's a relevant issue but not sure if it's relevant for that article really.

See my response of yesterday afternoon on this same thread as regards the supposed impact on this season, Sam. I'd wholeheartedly agree - I'm not sure Marvin Morgan really cares about our future capacity / how many concessions go directly to the club. My point as regards the issue potentially detracting from the season relates to the effect that it might have on my and other fans' enjoyment of the football rather than having a negative impact on JS and co...

And as for relevance, I think it absolutely does belong in the article. I may be in the minority but if I read a season preview then I don't just want to know about who's who at a particular club; I also want to get a feel for what's going on more generally and what the issues are. That curiosity is partly what the site is known for and it's served us well for readers so far.

Absolute rubbish! You didn't even mention the new players signing for Argyle.
It's the worst Argyle article I've read.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
I thought the blog was well argued and well reasoned. The paranoia on here is beyond beleif. There is no conspiracy, just people who have alternative opinions.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I agree with him.

To give the impression that the fan base is split, which in my opinion is untrue and not mention JS's wheeling and dealing is an indicator that you haven't a clue on what is going on in the real world.

Some people need to realise that the vast majority of Argyle fans couldn't give a ray's arse about the net, what they do care about is what goes on, on the pitch.

Perhaps by the nature of a blog, that will happen, but trying to justify your comments doesn't wash with me.

L

lloyd_down_under

Funnily enough I did have a reference in there to being particularly excited about the signing of Marvin Morgan but edited it out. But I am. I think he'll be a great player for us.

And I do mention JS's wheeling and dealing. He hasn't put a step out of place yet in my opinion and he's putting together a much stronger squad than we've had for a while.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Perhaps you simply put too much emphasis on the 'fissure' then.

Hey, it's your blog, but not everyone has to agree with it/you.

L

lloyd_down_under

Absolutely not; but I do draw the line at people making up a load of nonsense about the legitimacy of what I've written and who's in my ear, etc.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I agree entirely Greengenes, the vast majority of fans are totally ambivalent and many totally unaware of the fissure between a tiny section of the fan base. This whole thread got ridiculously out of hand after some pretty harmless and hardly highly controversial comments on a blog. Unfortunately one or two mistook the author for someone else and appeared to let personal issues cloud their judgement and opinion somewhat for which an apology has been made to be fair. A lot of hot air about nothing at the end of the day.

Dec 2, 2005
London
IJN":3ihqx5rl said:
Bollox Richard, this lot allowed the loons to spout utter rubbish about me, and despite complaints about lies after lies.

Then I find out one of them is the BiL of one of the idiots on the other site.

Hidden agenda? I'm not sure it's that hidden if I'm honest.

I treat anything that lot say with contempt since then.

Yet more propaganda from people with 'politics' on their mind.

Be naive if you want, but don't expect everyone to take it at face value.

If we are talking about hidden agendas how about this epic hijack of a thread about whether we'll finish mid-table or not full of stand comments??!

Not really sure why most of the posts on here haven't been moved to a relevant thread...I could guess though!

Oct 24, 2010
The stand issue is relevant to this thread as it could well impact on this season if there are a significant number of fans who are so disillusioned with the future ambition of the club that they don't any more have the enthusiasm to buy season tickets or attend matches. That will obviously affect the playing budget, even if we sell the same amount of tickets as last season the income will be well down due to the reduced cost. With Sheridan's appointment, the influx of experienced players and the, is it 15%?, reduction in cost we should have expected a healthy increase in ST sales. We will wait and see if that happens.

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
A thoroughly well researched piece.
Informative with regards to other clubs.
Re; us - I understood what was being inferred; that the grandstand) and associated chav amusement park will take the gloss off a successful season for (and I quote) "some".
I thought it was pretty damn neutral and refreshingly devoid of spin

Mar 21, 2013
up_the_line":3ax65lre said:
A thoroughly well researched piece.
Informative with regards to other clubs.
Re; us - I understood what was being inferred; that the grandstand) and associated chav amusement park will take the gloss off a successful season for (and I quote) "some".
I thought it was pretty damn neutral and refreshingly devoid of spin

You really do only see what you want to, regarding the stand it clearly wasn't neutral but they are entitled to their opinion. Back to the preview the blogger has a right to their opinion on the season ahead as do many to raise points in regards to the content, I really do not understand how some claim that it's wrong to do so, the hypocrisy of "well it's their opinion so they can say what they want but others can't have an opinion on that" is mind boggling.

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Are there REALLY (many) people who will not go and support their team because they are "so disillusioned with the future ambition of the club"?

That seems like a really bizarre attitude to take and implies that you can only enjoy doing something now (or will only allow yourself to enjoy doing something) if you believe that things will be different in the future.

Isn't it enough to get enjoyment out of going along to support the team in doing its best whatever the result of a specific game? To enjoy the interaction with those you see on the day? To enjoy feeling part of something even if that something isn't perfect? To feel a sense of belonging? To feel part of a journey with an unknown destination?

Dec 7, 2006
The Doctor":2zm4w3pu said:
Are there REALLY (many) people who will not go and support their team because they are "so disillusioned with the future ambition of the club"?
That seems like a really bizarre attitude to take and implies that you can only enjoy doing something now (or will only allow yourself to enjoy doing something) if you believe that things will be different in the future.

Isn't it enough to get enjoyment out of going along to support the team in doing its best whatever the result of a specific game? To enjoy the interaction with those you see on the day? To enjoy feeling part of something even if that something isn't perfect? To feel a sense of belonging? To feel part of a journey with an unknown destination?
I think we all know the answer to that one, Doc. Those that do so are merely cutting their nose off to spite their face and it's a particulary myopic and petulant 'throwing toys out of the pram' stance to take. IMHO, they can't be that committed to the cause in the first place.

Mar 21, 2013
The Doctor":18h05f57 said:

I imagine the numbers will have no great impact on the average attendance, you'll get the few "I know x amount aren't going" "my mate isn't renewing" & the few who want to make a point online yet still turn up but on the whole the drop will be small, some will cry we need all the money we can get from fans & to a point that is true but I certainly won't lose sleep regarding the fickle nature of a fan who stops going because they are not getting their way on something, why do that to yourself?!