Humble pie for doubting Fletch thread. | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Humble pie for doubting Fletch thread.

greenpig27

Jam First
Aug 16, 2005
plymouth
Wilf Carters Boots":3c93ydpr said:
argyleiggy":3c93ydpr said:
Fletcher is rubbish, we are a mediocre team in a really poor league. Lets just analyse our esteemed leaders tactics shall we? We have some of the shortest forwards ever seen, Fletch's solution? Pump long balls up into the air and watch every single one of them come back at us. When 'Shots start to play the ball wide and down through the wings, what was Fletch's solution? Keep it really narrow down the middle and then sit back and wait for the inevitable attack as they play around us. Does he actually watch the game? Really I despair, if you all think that this is good enough for next season then take a good look at yourselves, or better still take a look at Fletch and his non existent tactics. I am now off out to celebrate our almost (fingers crossed) safety achieved today, what I cannot be bothered with is the acceptance of really poor performances dressed up as league storming form by the majority. You all know that what I say is true, lets just accept it and ask for something better for next season, thanks Carl Fletcher for keeping us up this season but lets move on now. :wave:

Iggy, you and a few like you, are in serious danger of looking like prats. To describe as 'rubbish' the manager who has turned a relegation certainty into a team who, take it from me, are safe to fight again next season in his first management role tells me a lot about not only your lack of football knowledge but also of the mental attitude needed to survive in a relegation dogfight. His remit was simply to keep us up, that's all. Not to keep us up, oh and by the way at the same time play the sort of football that will let the nation know that we will be setting League Two alight next season. So, no, we don't all know that what you say is true. In fact we know what you say is, to use your word, 'Rubbish'!
Next season is a different ball game and I am happy, as I have always been, to let CF do the business then where the emphasis will probably not be on survival but taking the club forward. One thing at a time Iggy. I suggest you watch and learn! :cool:

Correct. Along with the prattish pair of Samjones and Steve Evans, both of whom I am now certain are trolls out of the same tribe as Sufferedsince68.

We were dead certain relegation candidates. Fletcher has dragged us to all but safety. It was a massive task to, first, catch the teams ahead of us and, secondly, overhaul them.
But the idiots above expected us to what ? Get in the play-offs? Win automatic promotion ? Tossers.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Gary_Wills":3o2zk6f2 said:
Well done Fletch, primarily.

But playing shut up shop football is worlds apart from playing attacking football, inventive or not. As the plymouth public realise in the majority. But whatever floats boats for the hardcore, and if 'pointage' (??) is all that counts.

However. Attractive proposition to players??? Years of hangover ahead from its financial meltdown less than a year ago, outwith spruced up land sell offs to wallpaper the cashflow, and the least experienced set up off the pitch in world football alas. A club in 88th place. Are players blind enough to miss all this? I certainly hope so.
I may be wrong but I don't think players really scrutinise the land sell offs and boardroom set ups when signing for a club. I'd hazard a guess that wages, and perhaps people/contacts will be a more decisive factor.

greenpig27

Jam First
Aug 16, 2005
plymouth
GreenSam":3nuf3zuv said:
Gary_Wills":3nuf3zuv said:
Well done Fletch, primarily.

But playing shut up shop football is worlds apart from playing attacking football, inventive or not. As the plymouth public realise in the majority. But whatever floats boats for the hardcore, and if 'pointage' (??) is all that counts.

However. Attractive proposition to players??? Years of hangover ahead from its financial meltdown less than a year ago, outwith spruced up land sell offs to wallpaper the cashflow, and the least experienced set up off the pitch in world football alas. A club in 88th place. Are players blind enough to miss all this? I certainly hope so.
I may be wrong but I don't think players really scrutinise the land sell offs and boardroom set ups when signing for a club. I'd hazard a guess that wages, and perhaps people/contacts will be a more decisive factor.

For the last few months, Gary, that is all that counts.
Hopefully next season when the nightmare is over, Fletch and co. can settle down to building a more settled, permanent and , dare I say it, adventurous squad ?

Aug 5, 2005
greenpig27":2rfqcp2y said:
Wilf Carters Boots":2rfqcp2y said:
argyleiggy":2rfqcp2y said:
Fletcher is rubbish, we are a mediocre team in a really poor league. Lets just analyse our esteemed leaders tactics shall we? We have some of the shortest forwards ever seen, Fletch's solution? Pump long balls up into the air and watch every single one of them come back at us. When 'Shots start to play the ball wide and down through the wings, what was Fletch's solution? Keep it really narrow down the middle and then sit back and wait for the inevitable attack as they play around us. Does he actually watch the game? Really I despair, if you all think that this is good enough for next season then take a good look at yourselves, or better still take a look at Fletch and his non existent tactics. I am now off out to celebrate our almost (fingers crossed) safety achieved today, what I cannot be bothered with is the acceptance of really poor performances dressed up as league storming form by the majority. You all know that what I say is true, lets just accept it and ask for something better for next season, thanks Carl Fletcher for keeping us up this season but lets move on now. :wave:

Iggy, you and a few like you, are in serious danger of looking like prats. To describe as 'rubbish' the manager who has turned a relegation certainty into a team who, take it from me, are safe to fight again next season in his first management role tells me a lot about not only your lack of football knowledge but also of the mental attitude needed to survive in a relegation dogfight. His remit was simply to keep us up, that's all. Not to keep us up, oh and by the way at the same time play the sort of football that will let the nation know that we will be setting League Two alight next season. So, no, we don't all know that what you say is true. In fact we know what you say is, to use your word, 'Rubbish'!
Next season is a different ball game and I am happy, as I have always been, to let CF do the business then where the emphasis will probably not be on survival but taking the club forward. One thing at a time Iggy. I suggest you watch and learn! :cool:

Correct. Along with the prattish pair of Samjones and Steve Evans, both of whom I am now certain are trolls out of the same tribe as Sufferedsince68.

We were dead certain relegation candidates. Fletcher has dragged us to all but safety. It was a massive task to, first, catch the teams ahead of us and, secondly, overhaul them.
But the idiots above expected us to what ? Get in the play-offs? Win automatic promotion ? Tossers.

I just find it sad that on a forum anyone who dares to give an opinion different from the norm is described as prattish, a troll, idiot and winker.

Any wonder why long standing posters like myself no longer post on here?

(And I fully expect to be insulted for just saying something)

Can people not accept different views?

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Sadly not it seems in answer to the previous poster.
Back on topic, I see things largely as the OP does on this issue. I was really worried after the January and February fixtures when our results actually got worse and the situation was getting dire with even members of the ISC expressing doubts about the manager and his negativity. He seems to have got it right though, you cannot argue with the transformation. The first 14 games saw 10 losses and 27 goals conceded, the last 14 games just 2 defeats and only 8 goals conceded. Some of the performances have been pretty dire but needs must and with safety all but ensured it has been an end to a means with a rock solid defence the platform for survival. Fletcher's reign has seen 1.3 points per game gained which if achieved right from the start of the season would see us in 13th place. He has earned the right to a full pre season and to assemble a squad capable of making a challenge for the top 7 places next season.

Jul 27, 2011
St Austell
At this stage of the season who cares about the quality of the performances as long as we're getting points on the board?

How many teams this year have really blown us away with their flair and fancy play?

It's our inability to kill games off which has been our downfall for much of this season however with a decent striker who can score on a consistent basis, that can easily be overcame. All these 1-0 ups have been giving me heart attacks.

Half of our team shouldn't even be playing at this level. We can't afford any better players. The fact that Fletcher has kept us up with what is frankly an unbelievable record over the past 14 games is incredible.

I'm not sure what people want. I get the distinct impression that they believe we should be playing like Barcelona, but on Horrabridge wages. It's about time that some fans take a reality pill and accept that what Fletcher has achieved may not have been pretty to watch, but has massively in excess of what could reasonably have been expected.

Nov 10, 2010
As some one pointed out if we have Fletch from the start next year, with the same form since he took over, we would finish the season on near enough 80 points. That this season would near enough be a play off place. After almost not even being a club at one point I would bite someone's hand off if they said we would get play-offs a year after almost dying. The fact he has kept us up this year is incredible in its self.

Also I don't understand the point about.... we are getting points but not playing nice football. And being disappointed about getting points.... question for you....

would you rather get in the promotion/play off's by playing crap or be mid table and playing the worlds nicest one touch Barcelona football. ?!?

Personally its all about points. You don't get extra points for keeping possession or playing better nicer football. Just like a goal you don't get any more goals for scoring from 3 yards or 30 yards its all the same.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
That isn't right. The form under Fletcher has been 43 points from 33 games or 1.3 points per game which over a season of 46 matches would be 60 points(not near enough 80)which would be 12th/13th place and still about 14 points short of a play off place.
We could assume therefore that the current squad is a mid table side, not to be sneezed at when you consider where we were with a bunch of kids and misfits and just 1 point from 9 games.
Improvements will need to be made in the summer in several positions, particularly a couple of midfielders and strikers. We have relied on a watertight defence as the foundation for survival but we need more creative and attacking ability in midfield and someone who can put the ball in the net. Wotts experience has been a great asset in the closing stages of the season but he is a shadow of the player who captained us to promotion first time around in this division. Chadders has done a job since he came adding experience and know how as has Feeney but are they really going to be part of a play off team when they rarely score? Young looks like he could be a talent next season, Nelson hopefully will regain fitness and confidence and there are a few youngsters who will provide useful back up. We will need 3 or 4 key signings to mount a challenge in the higher reaches of the division but with some more of the budget freed up with Johnson etc. gone it ought to be achievable. We certainly should not be losing players like Liam Dickenson in the next pre season.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
My opinion of Fletch has fluctuated a lot in the past few months. I guess I'm just a fickle football fan, ecstatic when we win, in the depths of despair when we lose.

However, at this point I'm delighted to say that Carl Fletcher has done a fantastic job. It may not have been pretty (I haven't seen us play since AFC Wimbledon at Home back in August due to my current location), but we may well be safe, which is a small miracle after EVERYTHING.

I'm still concerned about next season, but if we can keep this defence together and add some creative options surely we have as good a chance as anyone?

So, I think we owe it to Fletch to let him have a proper go at things without his hands being so tied by the turmoil of this season. I for one would love to see him prove the doubters wrong (again) and lead us on to better things. His dedication to this club through some horrible times has been a great example.

:scarf:

Nov 6, 2011
BethelGreen":og8u1c5z said:
At this stage of the season who cares about the quality of the performances as long as we're getting points on the board?

How many teams this year have really blown us away with their flair and fancy play?

It's our inability to kill games off which has been our downfall for much of this season however with a decent striker who can score on a consistent basis, that can easily be overcame. All these 1-0 ups have been giving me heart attacks.

Exactly. We can all moan about the tactics and quality of football NEXT season. I couldn't care less how we do it; this season is all about retaining our league status, nothing more.

Nov 6, 2011
I wasn't that impressed with Fletcher's appointment back in october, purely through his lack of managerial experience, however, that appointment (by the Riddler) is now proving to be a very shrewd appointment indeed. We were dead and buried when Fletch was appointed, he had to re-build the side in a relatively short space of time. To turn it around and put us in a position of near safety with four games to go is quite remarkable. Give credit where it is due, it hasn't been pretty (it was never going to be); Fletch has done an excellent job; also a word for John Deehan who has advised Fletch.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Ave_IT":2h0o62qk said:
Utter bollox. Have some grace to admit you're wrong. We can all have differing opinions but FACTS cannot be disputed and it's a FACT that we have conceded just six in our last twelve games and no more than one in any of those. THAT is not luck or "witless" or "cowardly" and in case it escaped your notice we are in the same "cack division" as those other teams - we aren't Man Utd and were stone stinking bottom and miles adrift just a short time ago. Jeeeez..........WTF did you expect???

Fletcher has done a Pulis. He took over a team seemingly destined for relegation that was low on morale, poor in defence, couldn't score and were clueless in midfield. Just like Pulis he has spent virtually nothing and transformed us into a gritty, unified, thoroughly professional TEAM that is very hard to beat and has steadily ground out results to secure our future. It hasn't been pretty but who gives a flying one about that when your very existence is on the line? Next season we will see if he can push on to the next level. He'll have a full pre season and we will now be an attractive proposition to players so he can build a team that can look beyond mere survival. He has earned his right to show if he can meet that challenge - assuming he isn't poached because this will not have gone unnoticed in the football world.

QFT

Mar 23, 2008
I think the parrels between this season and Pulis are there. Both fire fighting jobs featuring Chadders and Wotton. Both were shocking to watch but did the job. Both brought in influentual signings with Pulis bringing in Ward and Jarrett and Fletch bringing in Macca and Hemmings. Both also signed a Frenchman who became mainstays with Nalis and Blnchard. Pulis moved on after his rescue job, Fletch deserves his chance to take Argyle to the next level.

Dec 22, 2009
West London
Perhaps the real test will come next season - Brent has made it clear that we have a larger than average budget, and on this basis we should be in the top 7.

This year Fletcher has done well - much better than I expected.

Thank you Mr Fletcher!