Humble pie for doubting Fletch thread. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Humble pie for doubting Fletch thread.

Mar 23, 2008
Think weve all had our doubts especially a couple of months ago when we were struggling. Hes made some great signings and we are now rock solid. We are a decent centre mid and striker away from being a very good team. Fletch deserves thd chance to shape the team and push on.

CarolinaGreen

🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸🇺🇸
Jun 10, 2006
Raleigh, North Carolina
I love the attitude re. letting him have a shot at pre-season. We'd be lucky if he isn't poached, and luckier still if he stays all next season. I don't see how anyone can doubt he can manage extremely competently at this level. Looking forward to what he can do next season.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Do not get me wrong, points are points however they get on the table but the question mark lays over the performances of the wins.

Some would argue ugly 3 points is better than a pretty draw but it raises a doubt in my mind on what Carl can achieve given a fresh season. Not many performances have installed much confidence in me that we could get hold of teams and give them a hiding on a more consistent basis.

I long for an organised, confident team of players that can go into a gave knowing they have the ability and tactical wit to win a game. Maybe I'm asking for too much on the back of our (almost) great escape campaign but I do wonder.

Personally I think JB owes fletch a chance for next season and who could argue. Contradicting my own thoughts but who am I to say he doesn't deserve his chance, because he absolutely does.

May 22, 2006
Deehan also deserves some praise as results have picked up since he's been here.

JB was quite guarded about Fletch's future. I wonder if his wage costs might be an issue. The high earners contracts are up soon. Will be interesting to see what happens to Fletch; Larrieu and Walton despite their positions currently at the club.

Feb 29, 2008
Fletcher is rubbish, we are a mediocre team in a really poor league. Lets just analyse our esteemed leaders tactics shall we? We have some of the shortest forwards ever seen, Fletch's solution? Pump long balls up into the air and watch every single one of them come back at us. When 'Shots start to play the ball wide and down through the wings, what was Fletch's solution? Keep it really narrow down the middle and then sit back and wait for the inevitable attack as they play around us. Does he actually watch the game? Really I despair, if you all think that this is good enough for next season then take a good look at yourselves, or better still take a look at Fletch and his non existent tactics.
I am now off out to celebrate our almost (fingers crossed) safety achieved today, what I cannot be bothered with is the acceptance of really poor performances dressed up as league storming form by the majority. You all know that what I say is true, lets just accept it and ask for something better for next season, thanks Carl Fletcher for keeping us up this season but lets move on now. :wave:

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
hmm, we're still not actually up yet. Realistically we are up, but not mathematically and I think its advisable to wait for the fat lady to sing before assessing the season.

However, what cant be denied is that Fletch has been thrown in at the deep end in a horrible situation and is getting results. It may be ugly, but who cares if Argyle stay up. We can then re-group for next season.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
argyleiggy":1648da0z said:
You all know that what I say is true
Erm, no we don't actually.

Your view is your view and I've got no problem with that but in the nicest possible way please don't impose "what we all know" upon the rest of us.

Fletcher in for next season please, give him a full pre-season to work on the attacking side, see if he can turn more draws into wins and see what can be done.

Nov 8, 2010
argyleiggy":3n1w8dbh said:
Fletcher is rubbish, we are a mediocre team in a really poor league. Lets just analyse our esteemed leaders tactics shall we? We have some of the shortest forwards ever seen, Fletch's solution? Pump long balls up into the air and watch every single one of them come back at us. When 'Shots start to play the ball wide and down through the wings, what was Fletch's solution? Keep it really narrow down the middle and then sit back and wait for the inevitable attack as they play around us. Does he actually watch the game? Really I despair, if you all think that this is good enough for next season then take a good look at yourselves, or better still take a look at Fletch and his non existent tactics.
I am now off out to celebrate our almost (fingers crossed) safety achieved today, what I cannot be bothered with is the acceptance of really poor performances dressed up as league storming form by the majority. You all know that what I say is true, lets just accept it and ask for something better for next season, thanks Carl Fletcher for keeping us up this season but lets move on now. :wave:

You also think that Brent has "saddled the club with debt", so your opinion isn't the most trustworthy.

N

NorfolkGreen

I agree with MG, I wasn't sure about his appointment, but the remit was keep us in the League and we don't care how, he has done that and that is some achievement.

You never know he may be a tactical genius and can demonstrate that with a clean fresh start next season, but this season was about points to keep us up, I couldn't care about performances this season, survival was too important.

S

Spank Shop

I've never doubted Fletcher for one minute. Remember saying on here ages ago that he would turn things round, and to all intents and purposes he has.

We might not be playing great football, but so what? After all the clubs been through the one single purpose for this season was maintaining league status. This has almost been achieved through a combination of hard graft and the important fact that there are some really poor teams in this league.

Whether he's still there next season is another thing entirely though. Depends on the clubs ambitions I suppose.

Apr 1, 2009
argyleiggy":qgxfk0wn said:

I actually agree with a lot of what you say. Where you ruin it is the arrogance of "you all know that what I say is true". Genuine question - what gives you the right to dictate how other fans feel? It is a cliche, but football is about opinions yet you truly believe that you can express an opinion and then state that everyone else should feel the same. Had your post been just a little humble, it would have contained some valid points.

Jul 7, 2006
loyal1970":3ba7535m said:
don't be stupid to many draws mate he can't change a game ok we won today but look at the stats and if we draw as many games next season we will finish midtable a better manager would turn most of those draws into wins.
I'm with you.
Today was all about luck not judgement.
If nothing else the silly fouls just emphasize the complete lack of understanding of the need to have both team and personal discipline as a vital cornerstone to consistent performances. This lack of discipline also reflects what appears to be Fletchers attitude to the game.
I can never understand those who think that this approach is going to be good enough for the future. This style of playing cannot be conducive to winning consistently. This was an ugly backward step performance apart from the first 10 minutes. Those of you who think that a win is a win and nothing else matters are going to be in for a major shock next season when nothing has changed.
For me, Fletcher cannot be replaced soon enough.

Mar 30, 2006
Plymouth
Remember a few years ago when Tony Pullis was our manager? His remit was to keep us in the division with a limited budget. It was not pretty, in fact it was awful to watch, but the team ground out results and we stayed in the division. Sound familiar?
When he left in the summer alot of us were relieved to have got rid of him, but look what he has achieved a Stoke with a different remit.
I am sure Carl Fletcher was given exactly the same remit with a fraction of the budget and morale in the dressing room at an all time low and all but the counting he has done it.
I am sure that in the summer with a new budget, new remit and new players he will be able to have a different style of play and next year will hopefully be a whole different type of season.