Humble pie for doubting Fletch thread. | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Humble pie for doubting Fletch thread.

M

Mr Smith

I wonder if the same people saying Fletcher isn't good enough are the same that where crying out to poach a young lower league manager when we where in the championship?

Fletcher stepped up in horrible situation and looks like he'll deliver safety with a couple of games to spare, how anyone can complain is simply absurd.

It's going to be a long summer on here...

B

Buddy & Muff

Quizmike":2263wb8n said:
greenpig27":2263wb8n said:
Wilf Carters Boots":2263wb8n said:
argyleiggy":2263wb8n said:
Fletcher is rubbish, we are a mediocre team in a really poor league. Lets just analyse our esteemed leaders tactics shall we? We have some of the shortest forwards ever seen, Fletch's solution? Pump long balls up into the air and watch every single one of them come back at us. When 'Shots start to play the ball wide and down through the wings, what was Fletch's solution? Keep it really narrow down the middle and then sit back and wait for the inevitable attack as they play around us. Does he actually watch the game? Really I despair, if you all think that this is good enough for next season then take a good look at yourselves, or better still take a look at Fletch and his non existent tactics. I am now off out to celebrate our almost (fingers crossed) safety achieved today, what I cannot be bothered with is the acceptance of really poor performances dressed up as league storming form by the majority. You all know that what I say is true, lets just accept it and ask for something better for next season, thanks Carl Fletcher for keeping us up this season but lets move on now. :wave:

Iggy, you and a few like you, are in serious danger of looking like prats. To describe as 'rubbish' the manager who has turned a relegation certainty into a team who, take it from me, are safe to fight again next season in his first management role tells me a lot about not only your lack of football knowledge but also of the mental attitude needed to survive in a relegation dogfight. His remit was simply to keep us up, that's all. Not to keep us up, oh and by the way at the same time play the sort of football that will let the nation know that we will be setting League Two alight next season. So, no, we don't all know that what you say is true. In fact we know what you say is, to use your word, 'Rubbish'!
Next season is a different ball game and I am happy, as I have always been, to let CF do the business then where the emphasis will probably not be on survival but taking the club forward. One thing at a time Iggy. I suggest you watch and learn! :cool:

Correct. Along with the prattish pair of Samjones and Steve Evans, both of whom I am now certain are trolls out of the same tribe as Sufferedsince68.

We were dead certain relegation candidates. Fletcher has dragged us to all but safety. It was a massive task to, first, catch the teams ahead of us and, secondly, overhaul them.
But the idiots above expected us to what ? Get in the play-offs? Win automatic promotion ? Tossers.

I just find it sad that on a forum anyone who dares to give an opinion different from the norm is described as prattish, a troll, idiot and winker.

Any wonder why long standing posters like myself no longer post on here?

(And I fully expect to be insulted for just saying something)

Can people not accept different views?

Welcome to Pasoti. The site is poo for voicing an opinion different to the green tinted sheep on here. Baaaaaaaaa..

Nov 27, 2009
Plymouth.
It will be interesting to see what decision the board make regarding Carl Fletchers future.

I do not feel strongly about it, i know i should though.

I think that is because Carl seems to me to dislike the side of the job that involves whipping up the fan base.

I do not know him but that is my perception.

If i were JB i would be thinking we need a manager that can build the team and the interest in it amongst the fans that stay away.

Is that man Carl ?

Nov 8, 2010
Shane Harris":y3r2ttgr said:
I think that is because Carl seems to me to dislike the side of the job that involves whipping up the fan base.

The only part of Carl's job that involves whipping up the fanbase involves getting results on the pitch, and of late he's been doing that. Unless you want a lunatic like Paulo Di Canio in charge to "whip the fanbase up", I would rather we didn't have that embarrassment.

I understand why many have a few doubts about Carl next season, I know I still do. He's got the results we need to survive which is fantastic, but next season we need to be chasing promotion which will involve a different style of play. Some extra coaching talent in the dugout would allay a lot of fears I think, but as long as we're in contention for a play-off place throughout next season I think he should be given time to make this job his own.

May 22, 2006
Pulis never whipped up the fanbase, on or off the pitch. He stuck to his own rigid style and didn't care what people thought of him or his tactics. Holloway was the polar opposite; larky, self-promoting, cursed with an insatiable vanity and a desire to be loved, and the football was far more adventurous and expansive.

Pulis got the higher attendances. They'd been on the wane ever since the casuals realised that our meteoric rise had ground to a halt under Williamson. The quality of the football and the charisma of the manager didn't make a difference.

Janners don't care about pretty football. There's plenty of that on the goggle box. It's cheaper and you don't have to go out in the rain. What brings them and their money to HP is winning football.

Fletcher does deserve his chance. People say we need an experienced head, but we had decades of experience in the shape of Sturrock and Reid. Both made some truly abysmal signings and neither could get any kind of quality or consistency out of the team. Fletcher in stark contrast has made some very impressive signings, and for the first time in about four years, we're actually a capable, dependable, hard-working and consistent side. It isn't pretty but it's working.

Some credit has to go to Deehan as well.

Jan 31, 2005
Tavistock
I said at the beginning of the season it would be a remarkable achievement for any manager to keep us up. So congratulations Carl on taking on one of the hardest jobs in football and turning the sinking ship around. Can't wait for your first full season!

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
One or two replies to this topic suggest they are rather sad and unhappy that posters are not allowed a different opinion to the more positive ones expressed. Well that is surely not correct. Reasoned debate is what Pasoti is all about and I welcome that. However, when Iggy begins his statement with 'Fletcher is rubbish..' this is hardly reasoned debate stuff is it? Therefore I felt I was quite gentle in suggesting Iggy was in serious danger of looking like a prat in response. Sure you can discuss the merits and otherwise about how CF will fare with a different remit to simple survival next season. I will find that really interesting reading. Same goes for the discussion on changing the manager but if you guys who are 'sad' and 'unhappy' about being castigated for saying CF is 'rubbish' well I think you must be 'sad' and 'unhappy' generally and I'm sad about that.

C

Colonel Kurtz

The club should advertise the position during the summer, I think they'd be bonkers not too. I've become increasingly less of a fan of Fletcher's approach, and have found his post-match comments particularly baffling at times. The playing squad and coaching team is still in need of an overhaul. Defensively we're sound now, but the midfield and strikers are devoid of creativity, intelligence, movement and even the ability to shoot straight. I just can't find myself trusting Fletch, or his backroom staff, to sort that out. I'd much prefer to see us go down the 'Brendan Rogers' type route. Either way, the club have to go through all available options, which is something we rarely seem to do.

Andy in Peverell

🚑 Steve Hooper
Sep 15, 2009
Peverell
It's fair to say I wasn't in favour of Fletchers appointment and though I still remain unconvinced I agree he's earned the right to continue. I totally accept that the tactics and style of play has been a means to an end and a third relegation in 3 years really could of been catastrophic. however we have been hugely fortunate to win and draw games at home this season. Our style of play has at times been Terrible and It's not beyond the realms of possibility that we could of lost many more times(particularly at home)and still been up to our necks in the brown stuff.

It's worth remembering that thanks to Brent's takeover and our continued strong attendences we have had the luxury to strengthen our team with strong, experienced pros like Purse, Chadwick, Blanchard, Wotton etc and decent young lads like Hemmings an McDonald. Hereford, Maccelsfield and Others have not. Where would we be if others sides down around us had this advantage?

Feb 29, 2008
xmastree":18vfm5ky said:
argyleiggy":18vfm5ky said:
Idiocy. :clap:

Because people won't agree with your opinion as you told them to? Your arrogance earlier in the thread weakens your argument. Sadly one of the worst things about Pasoti is those who think that no one should oppose their point of view.

No, because someone related my post to idiocy, hence me remarking on it, might I suggest you read posts before commenting?

Feb 29, 2008
Different opinion = prat. :clap: shows how the mainstream pasoti viewer welcomes debate.
Idiots, tossers? A prat like me would get warnings from mod's for that, terrible double standards employed here.
As for watching and learning, I have been doing that at Argyle for nearly 50 years now.
Just because we are set to finish 4th bottom in a poo league doesn't make Fletch a good manager, where were the tactics today, or all season? Aldershot change the way we play and we do what? If Fletch was a decent manager and could change a game we would have been safe a long time ago, how many times have we dropped 2 points against relegation rivals in really poor games? How many times have we only turned up for one half of a game? Why did IJN feel the need to start a thread last week asking the team to at least make an effort? We could be getting relegated and you lot would still find a positive from it, I really do despair.[/quote]

If you opened your eyes a bit you'd have noticed that the fanbase has been split over Fletch for the last few months, and has been debating fervently. Hence starting this thread. But no, PASOTI hates debate, doesn't it?

Differing but well reasoned opinions cause debate, which is great. Idiotic opinions ("Fletcher is rubbish", "Brent has saddled this club with debt", "we will sack all of our staff and enter administration if we go down") attract ridicule. Don't confuse criticism of debate with criticism of idiocy.[/quote]

As for Fletch being rubbish, I did actually list my reasons for my opinion, if you choose to disregard that it's not my problem. I know where the debt came from and don't blame Brent for that, however I do believe his takeover was under funded which has saddled us with the debt, it is hard enough to fund a club and team that will challenge in this league without paying off staff debts. Might I remind you that the FA shared my concerns. I also strongly believe that a lot of the staff at Argyle would be sacked if we entered the BSP, we would have to cut costs, you must remember that we are talking amateur football, people won't pay £20 to watch us v Bideford town. Another period of administration would not be the most unbelievable thing to happen surely?
After the match I had a couple of beers in a town pub and got talking to a group of fans who had also been to the game, guess what? They all shared the same opinion as me regarding Fletcher, the two blokes I went to the game with also share the same opinion, I am not isolated in this. As for being idiotic, a prat, very reasoned. :D

NLG

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jan 16, 2006
Quizmike":2jqm4pj4 said:
greenpig27":2jqm4pj4 said:
Wilf Carters Boots":2jqm4pj4 said:
argyleiggy":2jqm4pj4 said:
Fletcher is rubbish, we are a mediocre team in a really poor league. Lets just analyse our esteemed leaders tactics shall we? We have some of the shortest forwards ever seen, Fletch's solution? Pump long balls up into the air and watch every single one of them come back at us. When 'Shots start to play the ball wide and down through the wings, what was Fletch's solution? Keep it really narrow down the middle and then sit back and wait for the inevitable attack as they play around us. Does he actually watch the game? Really I despair, if you all think that this is good enough for next season then take a good look at yourselves, or better still take a look at Fletch and his non existent tactics. I am now off out to celebrate our almost (fingers crossed) safety achieved today, what I cannot be bothered with is the acceptance of really poor performances dressed up as league storming form by the majority. You all know that what I say is true, lets just accept it and ask for something better for next season, thanks Carl Fletcher for keeping us up this season but lets move on now. :wave:

Iggy, you and a few like you, are in serious danger of looking like prats. To describe as 'rubbish' the manager who has turned a relegation certainty into a team who, take it from me, are safe to fight again next season in his first management role tells me a lot about not only your lack of football knowledge but also of the mental attitude needed to survive in a relegation dogfight. His remit was simply to keep us up, that's all. Not to keep us up, oh and by the way at the same time play the sort of football that will let the nation know that we will be setting League Two alight next season. So, no, we don't all know that what you say is true. In fact we know what you say is, to use your word, 'Rubbish'!
Next season is a different ball game and I am happy, as I have always been, to let CF do the business then where the emphasis will probably not be on survival but taking the club forward. One thing at a time Iggy. I suggest you watch and learn! :cool:

Correct. Along with the prattish pair of Samjones and Steve Evans, both of whom I am now certain are trolls out of the same tribe as Sufferedsince68.

We were dead certain relegation candidates. Fletcher has dragged us to all but safety. It was a massive task to, first, catch the teams ahead of us and, secondly, overhaul them.
But the idiots above expected us to what ? Get in the play-offs? Win automatic promotion ? Tossers.

I just find it sad that on a forum anyone who dares to give an opinion different from the norm is described as prattish, a troll, idiot and winker.

Any wonder why long standing posters like myself no longer post on here?

(And I fully expect to be insulted for just saying something)

Can people not accept different views?

I think they can and are, after all aren't these just different views of what people think of other posters? What do the posters under fire call our manager and players? Crap, clueless, etc. Its all the same thing, opinions.

Apr 1, 2009
argyleiggy":vhj04vrn said:
xmastree":vhj04vrn said:
argyleiggy":vhj04vrn said:
Idiocy. :clap:

Because people won't agree with your opinion as you told them to? Your arrogance earlier in the thread weakens your argument. Sadly one of the worst things about Pasoti is those who think that no one should oppose their point of view.

No, because someone related my post to idiocy, hence me remarking on it, might I suggest you read posts before commenting?

As stated my remark referred to your post earlier in the thread. What's happened with you Iggy? You used to be very readable, original and entertaining - now you snap at the earliest opportunity if someone doesn't see things 100% your way. As I posted earlier you still make valid points, but the attitude that comes with them makes reading your posts less of a pleasant experience.

Jan 6, 2004
I think coming out of administration saved our bacon more than anything Fletcher did. Once we could bring in players, our budget was significantly higher than most in the league and it really should not have been that hard to turn things around.

Nov 8, 2010
Green_Flash":7x3it0de said:
I think coming out of administration saved our bacon more than anything Fletcher did. Once we could bring in players, our budget was significantly higher than most in the league and it really should not have been that hard to turn things around.

Not really, if you look at the players signed I don't think any scream "big earner". Infact, Brent came in for criticism for not giving Fletch more to spend. Our budget was higher than most in the league, but a disproportionately massive amount of it was going to Damien Johnson, Fletch, Ro, and Walton. We'll have paid peanuts (or nothing) for the loanees we got in, and the freebies (bar maybe Purse) won't be big earners for this division - Blanchard was desperate for a club by November, and I don't think money was a factor in Wotton coming here.

Looking forward to us signing proper signings for this level next season, hopefully on 2+ year contracts who'll build up an association with the club over time.