Humble pie for doubting Fletch thread. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Humble pie for doubting Fletch thread.

Jul 7, 2006
Andy Moore":1by9bgn4 said:
Remember a few years ago when Tony Pullis was our manager? His remit was to keep us in the division with a limited budget. It was not pretty, in fact it was awful to watch, but the team ground out results and we stayed in the division. Sound familiar?
When he left in the summer alot of us were relieved to have got rid of him, but look what he has achieved a Stoke with a different remit.
I am sure Carl Fletcher was given exactly the same remit with a fraction of the budget and morale in the dressing room at an all time low and all but the counting he has done it.
I am sure that in the summer with a new budget, new remit and new players he will be able to have a different style of play and next year will hopefully be a whole different type of season.

What on earth makes you think that Fletcher will have a different style of play next season.

Jan 29, 2010
plymouth
What is so amazing about this non achievement? Is this really the best we can expect not being relegated?For gods sake get a grip , we need a proper manager in order to move foward. Another season of this complete and utter dross just will not do. Fletcher out now.

Mar 14, 2009
As people well know I am not a massive Fletcher fan.

Now some will argue the way we are playing is to do with where we are in the league.

The last 3 home games against Shrewsbury, Bradford and Aldershot all came who a huge dollop of luck. The opposition have had twice as many chanes and the bad luck from which they suffered in front of goal. THIS has been a significant factor for Argyle.

This is a team of battlers. We are here because the spirt of the squad has been immense. We play as a team.

Yet you can't play games where you sit back ontop of your goal for 75 mins. We just punted it away and let them have the ball with wave after wave of attacks. Our luck will run out sooner or later. Yet give Fletcher credit we are well organised at the back.

Berry was awful at the start of the season. This bloke has had a remarkable transformation.

I really cant decide. If we do stay up (its def not over yet) then I think he deserves another crack. Yet I am not going to eat humble pie when I have alot more question than answers in regards to Flecthers ability. For example, if he cant see Young is a better option than Hourlane or Walton then I wonder what matches he is watching!

I disagree with the tone of the thread. People only say what they feel. If thats wrong then I will be wrong forever. As for eating humble pie you might have to wait a few weeks (maybe more) because like I said it aint over and playing like we did today, against Swindon and Oxford, will not bring us any points!

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
narrowboat":2u4yjnsv said:
Andy Moore":2u4yjnsv said:
Remember a few years ago when Tony Pullis was our manager? His remit was to keep us in the division with a limited budget. It was not pretty, in fact it was awful to watch, but the team ground out results and we stayed in the division. Sound familiar?
When he left in the summer alot of us were relieved to have got rid of him, but look what he has achieved a Stoke with a different remit.
I am sure Carl Fletcher was given exactly the same remit with a fraction of the budget and morale in the dressing room at an all time low and all but the counting he has done it.
I am sure that in the summer with a new budget, new remit and new players he will be able to have a different style of play and next year will hopefully be a whole different type of season.

What on earth makes you think that Fletcher will have a different style of play next season.
I think Fletcher is playing a more defensive style because most of our best players are defensive.

Tsumou and Chadwick, for all their effort and physical atributes, simply can't get the ball to do what they want it to. Their technique and control is simple dreadful. Big Fletcher can't last 90 minutes. Hemmings is massively overrated, he can't cross to save his life. Young is out of position and Hourihane is far from the finished article at best, and poor at worst. Feeney's a good link up man but he's not a scorer at all.

Our defensive players though, Berry who has massively improved. Purse and Blanchard who must be two of the best centre backs in this league. Cole who must be one of the better keepers in this league, with Romain who has proved himself today to be adequate back up and Wotton who has made the role of sitting in front of the back 4 into an art. Bhasera too who again must be the best full back in the league (who else has had two Premier League clubs try to sign him in recent years, severall Championship clubs and he looked very confident at CCC level). The seeming weak link is Williams, but even he's not a bad full back, merely an average one at League Two level.

Ask anyone to name our best players, and they'll all be defensive players. Fletcher can obviously see this and I reckon he may have decided that the best way to win games is to try and grind out scrappy results. And is that wrong? Because look where it's got us. Given a full pre-season to sign a few quality attacking players and let them gel (and I don't go in for this "our debt will make us uncompetative" malarky, because look where Torquay are on crowds of 2,500) and there's no reason why Fletch WON'T change his style of play. I highly doubt Fletch is inherantly a philosophical adovcate of defensive, gritty football. More likely, I think he realised that it was best for the situation we were in and will probably re-evaluate this once we're safe.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
To be fair to the manager, he doesn't pretend we played well. Link

We couldn't kick it, pass it, we didn't play well but I don't care. We got the result and that's the main thing.
"If anyone questions my lads' desire, they'll have me to answer to.
"Another clean sheet, it's great for the defenders and the goalie. You keep clean sheets, you're going to win games.
"The lads knew it was going to be tough; winning your headers, sticking your foot out and putting your body on the line and they did that great today."

We are staying up. We are staying up. :scarf:

A

Andy_Lannie

I think that most forget that we were down and out when he took over. Just like Pulis the object of the game was not to lose. He's got us through it, with a couple of games to spare. He can now think about next season and build on his hard won experience. A change of style, new players. Lyggy's team wasn't the most impressive to watch but it did the buiss.

Many seasons ago when I saw us play Crystal Palace under Ollie it was like seeing a mini Barca, that takes guts and a team that knows where every player is. That was the first time I saw trigonometry in real life, but the best victory was against Leicester away. Results are what matter, ask Lyggy, and Fletch is getting them. I'm happy as I thought we were going down. not because of the manager but because we had a really bad start to the season. 9 games in and 1 point on the board.

Nov 8, 2010
One man's "luck" is another man's "exceptional defensive performance" or "the opponent's strikers couldn't finish for poo."

Dec 27, 2004
Bidford on Avon
Next season Fletch would start on a level playing field.

This season he had decided to go for safety first and it looks to have paid off.

A creative midfielder and a more consistent finisher and we will be there or there abouts.

Well done Fletch

Nov 14, 2010
Cornwall
argyleiggy":2qm5mzm9 said:
Fletcher is rubbish, we are a mediocre team in a really poor league. Lets just analyse our esteemed leaders tactics shall we? We have some of the shortest forwards ever seen, Fletch's solution? Pump long balls up into the air and watch every single one of them come back at us. When 'Shots start to play the ball wide and down through the wings, what was Fletch's solution? Keep it really narrow down the middle and then sit back and wait for the inevitable attack as they play around us. Does he actually watch the game? Really I despair, if you all think that this is good enough for next season then take a good look at yourselves, or better still take a look at Fletch and his non existent tactics. I am now off out to celebrate our almost (fingers crossed) safety achieved today, what I cannot be bothered with is the acceptance of really poor performances dressed up as league storming form by the majority. You all know that what I say is true, lets just accept it and ask for something better for next season, thanks Carl Fletcher for keeping us up this season but lets move on now. :wave:

Iggy, you and a few like you, are in serious danger of looking like prats. To describe as 'rubbish' the manager who has turned a relegation certainty into a team who, take it from me, are safe to fight again next season in his first management role tells me a lot about not only your lack of football knowledge but also of the mental attitude needed to survive in a relegation dogfight. His remit was simply to keep us up, that's all. Not to keep us up, oh and by the way at the same time play the sort of football that will let the nation know that we will be setting League Two alight next season. So, no, we don't all know that what you say is true. In fact we know what you say is, to use your word, 'Rubbish'!
Next season is a different ball game and I am happy, as I have always been, to let CF do the business then where the emphasis will probably not be on survival but taking the club forward. One thing at a time Iggy. I suggest you watch and learn! :cool:

A

Anonymous

Wilf Carters Boots":3f5e28ff said:
Iggy, you and a few like you, are in serious danger of looking like prats:

Serious danger of...............??? :funny:

Feb 21, 2011
argyleiggy":w34p7uce said:
Fletcher is rubbish, we are a mediocre team in a really poor league. Lets just analyse our esteemed leaders tactics shall we? We have some of the shortest forwards ever seen, Fletch's solution? Pump long balls up into the air and watch every single one of them come back at us. When 'Shots start to play the ball wide and down through the wings, what was Fletch's solution? Keep it really narrow down the middle and then sit back and wait for the inevitable attack as they play around us. Does he actually watch the game? Really I despair, if you all think that this is good enough for next season then take a good look at yourselves, or better still take a look at Fletch and his non existent tactics.
I am now off out to celebrate our almost (fingers crossed) safety achieved today, what I cannot be bothered with is the acceptance of really poor performances dressed up as league storming form by the majority. You all know that what I say is true, lets just accept it and ask for something better for next season, thanks Carl Fletcher for keeping us up this season but lets move on now. :wave:
Never heard Chadders and S Fletcher referred to as short before, as for your tactics observation not to sure what your on about the shots pumped it into the mixer over and over and we stood strong as we had to they had no attacking variation, defending the space around the box and being first to the loose ball was the best option break it up in Midfield if possible and get rid that's the way you do it when one up with 10 mins to go not good for the heart though.

A

Argyle1886

loyal1970":2ca8gmte said:
don't be stupid to many draws mate he can't change a game ok we won today but look at the stats and if we draw as many games next season we will finish midtable a better manager would turn most of those draws into wins.

I'd be happy for one season to finish mid-table oppossed to in the relegation zone! Stability at Argyle would be nice! Something of which we haven't had in recent years.

Mar 30, 2006
Plymouth
narrowboat":140q89yl said:
Andy Moore":140q89yl said:

Because he will have a playing budget that will not be constrained by very high earners meaning that he can mould a team to get us out of this league ( and I don't mean downwards). As I think I have said he had a remit and he could not do that with an exciting style of football with the players he had or the players he could bring in. Next season I am sure will be different.