Did DA know what he was doing? (I told you so) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Did DA know what he was doing? (I told you so)

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
rsp4":v8spvt3q said:
GreenThing":v8spvt3q said:
Adams has his faults and should have done better last season, but to suggest he fluked the previous 3 years? Really?

I don't think he fluked promotion or the play offs. The play offs was partly helped by Sheridan who achieved similar the previous season and Hartley's celebration against Pompey will live long in the memory.

The promotion season he got right but for me personally it was just so meh and I have never said that about any success.

I do think he fluked the run last year and the outcome of this season was a true reflection of both seasons in lg1.

Last season was not a fluke. Our lowly position at the start of the season was a false position based on crazy sending offs, injuries and individual errors. Our team was actually looking good even when we were bottom of the league.

Oct 16, 2016
His third season was terrible. I can’t see why anybody paints it any other way. Terrible start, weird middle and shocking end.

Sep 19, 2015
r4h4al":1uik05hs said:
In all seriousness maybe he was a bad manager all along who carried the momentum left with John Sheridan taking us to a play-off spot, perhaps Sheridan should take more credit for the promotion than Adams.
Then perhaps he did fluke the run last year, and it was down to the momentum rather than down to Adams' ability as a manager.
Then this season speaks for itself. A little purple patch where really Ruben just decided to turn up which won us a few games, and the rest of the season a disaster,

For Adams now I just hope he takes a deserved break, but I don't think he has a future in English football anymore. Sad times.

LG1980":1uik05hs said:
He really was a mess when it came to recruitment. We changed too much last season and we went into this season with a weaker defence than the one that took us to 5th in League Two in 2015/16 (Sawyer/Hartley/Nelson/Mellor).
I was thinking about his and don't know why certain people keep referring to a "complete overhaul" in the summer. Of the 1st choice players we lost Bradley and Threlkeld plus the loaness of Vyner and Matthews (which don't count).
I don't understand why certain people say Luke should've stayed either? He was dropped in last season for Matthews and then moved for 1st team football.
Macey was signed because on paper it sounds like a coup, he probably didn't live up to Adam's expectation but in the end has done all right. Not a good but not a bad signing.
Canavan effectively replaced Bradley and although a good player, what we missed was the leadership that Bradley brought. So a poor signing :sad:
Riley effectively came in to replace Threlkeld which was a poor signing, and Moore was even worse.
I think the signings being poor is more the budget than Adams. He can't be expected to keep signing good players for nothing and he seemed to make some good signings in his first 2 seasons. But unfortunately the signings this season weren't good enough and Adams has just bizarrely been a bad manager this season which lends me to think he was a bad manager all along.
Very much looking forward to an improved manager and with him doing much better in L1 when we get there hopefully straight away.

I think its pretty common knowledge that Adams was not given the greatest budget in the league but there is no way that we should have been relegated with the core of the team in which we kept from last season. Last Summer Derek recruited really poorly and unfortunately, this effectively relegated our club and lost Adams his job. Adams is certainly not solely responsible but the buck stops with him.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I admit that I was still supporting him 2 days before the Accrington game because, despite some disappointing capitulations, I did not think that he had lost the dressing room.
That game changed my opinion completely, fickle if you like, and it was a complete shock.
There are many attributes that make a good manager and I thought that he had most of them.
I still think that he will come back fighting but we have to move on.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Shankster - weird middle? Cant you just admit it and say we were quite good at times?

I know we all have our preferences but to insist our 1st season back in League 1 was shocking is beyond blinkered.

The majority of our play from January - April was excellent, we tore a few sides apart, were too slick for a very good Blackburn side, were undeserving of a 3-1 defeat (even Cook admitted) against a quite exceptional League 1 Wigan side. Were excellent against high flying (at the time) Shrewsbury etc. To call a 4 month period weird or a blip is not remotely seeing things fairly.

Finishing 7th first season back on the face of it was a very good effort.

Last season, well i think we may all agree on that!!

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Shankster":1qn98e0n said:
His third season was terrible. I can’t see why anybody paints it any other way. Terrible start, weird middle and shocking end.
That’s just plain wrong. Opinions are one thing but facts are quite another – and you are factually talking utter B0llox.

That ‘weird middle’ was an astonishing run of results the like of which we have barely ever seen – from December 23rd we had 10 Wins, 2 Draws and 1 defeat and played some fantastic football that blew teams away. Then what you call a “shocking end” was actually just the last 5 games where we had 1 win, 1 draw and 3 defeats - that coincided with injuries particularly to Taylor.

I actually loved that third season – even during the terrible start I wasn’t the only one who could see we were in an entirely false position due to injuries, red cards, a bizarre goal-keeper situation and just sheer bad luck …….. that’s why so many of us cleaned up at the bookies (and I’m not a gambler – that was the first bet I placed in 20 years). If you think that season was terrible I suggest you find another sport.

Oct 16, 2016
Weird and shocking is apt for season three, entirely. To start a season as it did was inept, to finish as it did was inept and incompetent

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
THIS was a terrible season.

Finishing 7th in your first season in a new league is a good season.

Sep 6, 2006
davie nine":3t9ncuom said:
I admit that I was still supporting him 2 days before the Accrington game because, despite some disappointing capitulations, I did not think that he had lost the dressing room.
That game changed my opinion completely, fickle if you like, and it was a complete shock.
There are many attributes that make a good manager and I thought that he had most of them.
I still think that he will come back fighoting but we have to move on.

And those attributes were...
I would be surprised if he gets another decent club. After 4 years his record with us was zero progress.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Balham_Green":1jne3a8k said:
davie nine":1jne3a8k said:
I still think that he will come back fighoting but we have to move on.

And those attributes were...
I would be surprised if he gets another decent club. After 4 years his record with us was zero progress.
Very true.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
His CV will, quite rightly, show a Wembley final and a promotion.

May 1, 2011
IJN":1vqigehm said:

It will also quite rightly show a Wembley defeat after blowing automatic promotion and a relegation canceling out any progress the club made.

David Friio's mate

✅ Evergreen
Apr 8, 2019
IJN":1elhhtxw said:

A Wembley final, pur-lease :crazy:

It was the basement division play-offs for teams not good enough to finish in the top 3 of that terrible league, and we embarrassed ourselves with a limp, lifeless performance that completely let the fans down.

Aug 5, 2015
You may not like it but the history books will show he achieved a Wembley play off final and a promotion. Only Donald Trump can successfully make half truths into established fact and facts into fake news. I don’t suppose Adams cares a flying fudge what you or anybody else thinks anyway.

May 8, 2011
Bristol Rich":1vq9srbo said:
IJN":1vq9srbo said:

It will also quite rightly show a Wembley defeat after blowing automatic promotion and a relegation canceling out any progress the club made.

No, his CV just mentions he got Argyle to a play off final for the first time in 20 years.