Rickie Lambert (will he sign?) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Rickie Lambert (will he sign?)

Will Lambert sign for Argyle?

• Yes

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • No

Votes: 84 46.4%
  • This thread is complete nonsense

Votes: 81 44.8%

• Total voters
Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
Stiffler":3fez97mg said:
Signing on monday apparently........for Blackburn. Woukd make sense being from that part of the world.
if this does happen they could do well.they have just bought the very impressive bradley dack as well.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Stiffler":sxa714lg said:
Signing on monday apparently........for Blackburn. Woukd make sense being from that part of the world.

Unlikely, unless they off-load Danny Graham I'd imagine.

Jul 22, 2014
Lambert is on £25K a week at Cardiff apparently so really can't see this happening. I know teams often pay half the wages when loaning players out, but there wouldn't be any point Cardiff paying more than that - they might as well pay up his contract if he only has a year left and release him. Blackburn does sound more likely!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
This thread has gone viral. :)

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
I'm not sure how I feel about this rumour anymore. The thought of Rickie Lambert in an Argyle shirt is exciting but, like I said in a previous thread, I really don't believe he's anywhere near the player he was 2/3 seasons ago.

That said, like someone pointed out to me, this is League One and he ought to be able to perform at that level. BUT, we he get the same service? Will he be able to link up as well with Argyle's midfield players? He is more than just a target man of course, but does he have the same desire now? For me it's a huge gamble, purely because of the financial commitment we would have to make. There's no way Cardiff are going to let him come on loan with us paying for anything less than 50% of his wages... so that'll still be in excess of £10k a week and I think our budget could be better spent.

Of course, if he does come, I'll be right behind him and hope he tops the scoring charts, gets us promoted and is named player of the year... while I eat humble pie.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I'm genuinely stunned that some people wouldn't want Lambert, people seem to forget we're a League 1 club, Lambert was only recently playing for Liverpool & England. With quick creative players like Carey/Wylde/Ainsworth around him it would take the load off him a little and allow him to focus on what he's always done best, scoring goals.

The thought of Carey swinging in balls for Lambert should be enough to get any Argyle fan excited about the season ahead.

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
Cobi Budge":ijmryktd said:
I'm genuinely stunned that some people wouldn't want Lambert, people seem to forget we're a League 1 club, Lambert was only recently playing for Liverpool & England. With quick creative players like Carey/Wylde/Ainsworth around him it would take the load off him a little and allow him to focus on what he's always done best, scoring goals.

The thought of Carey swinging in balls for Lambert should be enough to get any Argyle fan excited about the season ahead.

I'm not doubting that he was a very good player Cobi and I actually think he was a much better footballer than many give him credit for. I remember him playing in the No 10 role for Southampton on a number of occasions to very good effect. However, his career took a huge downward slide once he moved to Liverpool and he has struggled over the last 2/3 seasons for form, fitness and more importantly, game time.

If he signed, I've no doubt that he would have an impact both off and on the pitch, but for the money we would be committing, I would want promotion into the Championship to be our overall aim. I don't see the point of using up all that budget, to just consolidate our position.

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
Despite my reservations...

I'm hearing (from a "fairly" reliable source... who has been wrong before I would add) that we could be looking at a 6-month loan for Lambert, with us picking up 50% of his wages, an option to extend for the remainder of the season... but Cardiff having a 48-hour recall clause up to the January window.

I make that around £12,500 a week until January. Personally, I think that's a big gamble as there will be little of no room in the budget for anything else.

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
MajorGreen":wjtttihv said:
Despite my reservations...

I'm hearing (from a "fairly" reliable source... who has been wrong before I would add) that we could be looking at a 6-month loan for Lambert, with us picking up 50% of his wages, an option to extend for the remainder of the season... but Cardiff having a 48-hour recall clause up to the January window.

I make that around £12,500 a week until January. Personally, I think that's a big gamble as there will be little of no room in the budget for anything else.

I've just been informed that recall clauses are no longer allowed, so that part of the rumour is BS... but maybe they recall in January if he's done well?

Liam Vercoe

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 27, 2010
If we have to pay £12,500 a week until January I'd be livid if the club approved this deal.

Feb 8, 2005
Liam Vercoe":237n2mju said:
If we have to pay £12,500 a week until January I'd be livid if the club approved this deal.

I'll bet you wouldn't be livid if he scored 15-20 goals by January.

Mind you, I cannot see him coming to li'l ol' Plymouth, anyway!!

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Liam Vercoe":1nd5o1no said:

Unless any loan cost is funded privately by a Director, I would not support the Club paying that type of wages to Lambert/whoever, in its' ordinary course of trading. I feel it is so out of kilter with the wage level of other players and could easily create discord and crash team spirit, especially if the loanee fails to produce the goods because of age. Such an arrangement could become on par with the Mpenza debacle, especially if an early injury develops.

At the moment I think the rumour lacks credibility given DA's past prudent transfer operations, where he epitomises the
'canny Scot' image.

Jul 5, 2008
Plymuff, innit!
More importantly MG, when has your source been right?

If anybody believes we'd shell out £12.5k a week they need their head testing. Does not fit in at all with what we are trying to achieve.

Absolute BS - that's not a slant on you MG.

Classic pre-season.