Hillsborough verdicts. | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Hillsborough verdicts.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
porkchop":j9fryqg8 said:
I dont know if its been mentioned but i wonder what the front page of that vile newspaper will say tomorrow.

A 'red-top' cannot blush, but there should be a full front page apology. Nothing less.

A

andyr1963

A major step in the right direction with today's verdict. Still a long way to go for "justice" to be served.

RIP 96

N

newquaygreen

When it comes down to realities, the police and other proffesionals are supposed to be in control of such situations, in this case they were not, that the error that lead to the 96 deaths. Whether the fans arriving late didn't help is irrelavant, the police had the authority to stop the kick-off and to create an orderly entry. The fact they didn't is the cause of the situation that unfolded.

Whilst all this is bad enough and in itself may not be deserving of punishment its the lieing and fabrication of the evidence is what is so bad and those that did deserve to be punished for it, and I hope they are.

olive green

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 3, 2004
Liverpool
newquaygreen":tehmsd7a said:
When it comes down to realities, the police and other proffesionals are supposed to be in control of such situations, in this case they were not, that the error that lead to the 96 deaths. Whether the fans arriving late didn't help is irrelavant, the police had the authority to stop the kick-off and to create an orderly entry. The fact they didn't is the cause of the situation that unfolded.

Whilst all this is bad enough and in itself may not be deserving of punishment its the lieing and fabrication of the evidence is what is so bad and those that did deserve to be punished for it, and I hope they are.
I agree with this.

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
May 1, 2006
Not on the front page of The Sun or The Times. Rags.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
ChepstowGreen":bh18y2v9 said:

Every other major national newspaper has the story on the front page. The Sun's apology in 2012 now seems even more hollow.

O

ogwellmike

In our courts, jurors take an oath to listen to the evidence presented to them and to base their conclusions on that evidence alone. The jury in this case were presented with a great deal of evidence over their two years and concluded unanimously that the behaviour of the Liverpool fans did not contribute to the subsequent tragedy. They had certainly seen plenty of video evidence, and heard and read other evidence, that this was a typically boisterous Liverpool football crowd but they still concluded that the behaviour did not contribute to the tragedy. We should, IMO, respect that conclusion because none of us were there on the day and none of us has had the opportunity of examining the entirety of the evidence. To dispute the jury’s conclusion in these circumstances is contemptible arrogance IMO. Other people’s experiences at other football matches are totally irrelevant to this case and the conclusions based on them are valueless.

Jun 8, 2014
Lundan Cabbie":jf2l8oeb said:
esmer":jf2l8oeb said:
X Isle":jf2l8oeb said:
Cabbie, no I don't believe the police statements, I agree with every conclusion bar one, and one only.

Let's be clear about what was asked...

"Was there behaviour on the part of supporters which caused or contributed to a dangerous situation".

Every game back then, wherever it was, had fans who did this to a greater or lesser extent. It's inconceivable that in an FA cup semi final, no-one did. If even a "small group" did then they contributed in some way.

I'll leave it there, you can queue up to pillory me all you like, I just don't buy it.
I agree with you X Isle. I'm sure most who disagree are too young to remember how it was back then. The whole idea that the Liverpool fans as a body behaved in a controlled, orderly manner is very hard to swallow. Aggression and violence was very much a part of football then, every club including ours had a hooligan element and the bigger the club the bigger the element and Liverpool were a huge club. The tragic events at the Heysel a couple of years before should surely dispell any doubts that Liverpool were exempt from this.

Nobody is saying that Liverpool fans behaved in a controlled and orderly manner. They behaved in a manner that was very normal at that time for football crowds. Those whose duty it was to ensure the safety of everyone should have been prepared for the crowd behaving the way it did. There is no way that that behaviour should have caught the police by surprise.

Indeed, it was the conscious actions of David Duckenfield that caused the disaster that day - not that of the Liverpool fans. I physically do not know how that can be made clearer to people.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
XIsle and esmer are two condescending idiots who refuse to believe concrete evidence that the Liverpool fans were not to blame for the Hilisborough tragedy.

What I can't understand is why the FA have not been brought to task for staging the match at this stadium that had no safety certificate.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
There are two political figures in particular who come out with a great deal of credit. Andy Burnham for his tireless dedication and support as a constituency MP, and Theresa May - finally a Home Secretary who drove through much red tape and old boys networks to allow the truth to come out.

From opposite sides of the House, both were glowing in their praise of each other and roundly applauded by MPs today after PMQs - not something that happens very often. It should be remembered that yesterday wouldn't have been possible without politicians dedicated to revealing the truth.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
PL2 3DQ":155gifqy said:
ChepstowGreen":155gifqy said:

Every other major national newspaper has the story on the front page. The Sun's apology in 2012 now seems even more hollow.

To be fair to the Sun and the Times, what coverage would they have had regardless of whether or not it was front page? Damned if they did, damned when they didn't.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
esmer":1edbeyp5 said:

I'm sure most who disagree are too young to remember how it was back then. The whole idea that the Liverpool fans as a body behaved in a controlled, orderly manner is very hard to swallow. Aggression and violence was very much a part of football then, every club including ours had a hooligan element and the bigger the club the bigger the element and Liverpool were a huge club. The tragic events at the Heysel a couple of years before should surely dispell any doubts that Liverpool were exempt from this.

Wow, did you really type that last sentence ?

Jul 29, 2010
dunlop":30la83ed said:
XIsle and esmer are two condescending idiots who refuse to believe concrete evidence that the Liverpool fans were not to blame for the Hilisborough tragedy.

Maybe if you had accurately summarised my view, yiu would have concluded differently. The "concrete evidence" I am bringing to my opinion is what I saw with my own eyes.

As well as the general behaviour of a significant minority of fans at all games, big cup games on terraces would've brought with it the same behaviour as I witnesses at ALL England games. Whilst fighting through large scrums (you can't call them queues) to get in with my ticket I witnessed (and this is no exaggeration) hundreds of ticketless fans climbing up, or being pulled up by their mates, the outside of the staircase towers to the sides of the gates.

Tickets meant nothing on terraces, if you could get in by fair means or foul it was considered fair game. The authorities just watched, they did nothing. It is inconceivable fans didn't turn up to do the same at Hillsborough.Totally inconceivable.

It should be obvious, although apparently it's not :roll:, that I don't level this at the 96, nor the vast majority of the crowd as a whole that day. They were, like I would have been back then if I hadn't been so lucky, a law abiding, sober, ticket holding fan, just going to to a game and being let down by the authorities.

Someone last night on the TV referred to the drunken, late arriving and ticketless fans as "mythical". We're they heck as like. They would've been there all right and yes THEIR behaviour contributed TOGETHER with all the other failures that also very definitely happened.

Why have they not been identified? Would YOU come forward and admit you contributed to the biggest sporting disaster the country has ever seen?, in a city consumed by grief wanting answers? No, you wouldn't. But dotted around Liverpool for 27 years now have lived a significant number of individuals who know full well what they did and what it CONTRIBUTED to. It used to be a badge of honour to get in the ground 'on the wag', you think it stopped that day? No way, it stopped because of that day.

Said i'd stay out of this discussion having made my point yesterday but I can't sit by and watch what I posted get misrepresented and twisted. I do NOT blame the fans as a collective, but the specific fans I am referring to would have been there and their numbers would have contributed in some form to what happened.

Now carry on the name calling and finger pointing if you like, it has no effect on me. But don't put words in my name that I did not say and would not agree with.

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
May 1, 2006
So do you have a theory as to why the jury concluded differently?

Jul 29, 2010
ChepstowGreen":1s50ws4b said:
So do you have a theory as to why the jury concluded differently?
Yes, everyone came forward to speak about what the authorities did wrong, no-one came forward to speak about how they attended that game without a ticket hoping to get in 'on the wag'....for the reason I gave.

The accountable ones finally got held to account. The unaccountable ones were not there, they've kept very quiet for 27 years and will keep doing so. Whilst the authorities will have their guilt publicly aired, the fans who swelled the numbers way beyond the ticketed capacity will just have to live with theirs.