Hillsborough verdicts. | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Hillsborough verdicts.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
IJN":1fmio3c4 said:
Perhaps some people should read this exert from Conn's brilliant Guardian article yesterday, then semantics of this ilk can be forgotten.

Just think if this was you:-

At the gymnasium, families were made to queue outside in the cold, clear night, then eventually brought in and told to look through Polaroid photographs of all those who died, not grouped by age or gender. Families whose loved ones had bus passes or other identifying documents on them were also made to go through this process. When their dead relatives were brought out to them, they were in those body bags. Several parents testified that they were told they could not hold or kiss their dead children because they were “the property of the coroner”.

The whole article is an absorbing read. David Conn has been a consistent campaigner. I understand the families acknowledged his efforts after the verdict yesterday.

T

t._green

I do have every sympathy with those who lost loved ones on that day and to some extent I can understand their 27 year crusade for justice in the light of the original judgement. However, in the need to apportion blame, and to seek justice for those lost, one thing seems to have been obvious—this was simply a very tragic accident. No one, wished for anyone to die that day, yes, mistakes were made, bad ones, but it seems to me that neither the police nor the fans saw this coming until it was far too late.

I'm not aware of every nuance of the case, but it seems to me that it should now be left in a spirit of exoneration, rather than as a platform to pursue retired police officers for negligence even if they are culpable. Such action will not bring anyone back and will only serve to engender further bitterness and polarisation, paths well trodden these last 27 years. Better to lay this day to rest, to remember those lost and hopefully, forgive.

Yes, that is easy for me to say I know but it seems to me that 27 years is a very long time in a human life to look back. Still what do I know?

Jan 6, 2007
t._green":s41mj270 said:
I do have every sympathy with those who lost loved ones on that day and to some extent I can understand their 27 year crusade for justice in the light of the original judgement. However, in the need to apportion blame, and to seek justice for those lost, one thing seems to have been obvious—this was simply a very tragic accident. No one, wished for anyone to die that day, yes, mistakes were made, bad ones, but it seems to me that neither the police nor the fans saw this coming until it was far too late.

I'm not aware of every nuance of the case, but it seems to me that it should now be left in a spirit of exoneration, rather than as a platform to pursue retired police officers for negligence even if they are culpable. Such action will not bring anyone back and will only serve to engender further bitterness and polarisation, paths well trodden these last 27 years. Better to lay this day to rest, to remember those lost and hopefully, forgive.

Yes, that is easy for me to say I know but it seems to me that 27 years is a very long time in a human life to look back. Still what do I know?
Mistakes are made that is true and perhaps if the authorities had been honest and admitted they were to blame in the first place we wouldn't have had 27 years of the families seeking the truth.
Do you believe we should just sweep all the lies under the carpet and exonerate the people responsible for the lies in this cover up? I for one hope convictions follow, if we break the law we should suffer the consequences, High ranking Police officers are no different no matter how long ago they offended. It's a shame that the Chief Constable, Peter Wright, the man who appointed Duckenfield (a man who hadn't been to Hillsborough in several years ) as match commander and then led the deceit and lies to cover his back is no longer alive to receive his comeuppance.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
X Isle":3phvm7to said:
dunlop":3phvm7to said:
XIsle and esmer are two condescending idiots who refuse to believe concrete evidence that the Liverpool fans were not to blame for the Hilisborough tragedy.

Maybe if you had accurately summarised my view, yiu would have concluded differently. The "concrete evidence" I am bringing to my opinion is what I saw with my own eyes.

As well as the general behaviour of a significant minority of fans at all games, big cup games on terraces would've brought with it the same behaviour as I witnesses at ALL England games. Whilst fighting through large scrums (you can't call them queues) to get in with my ticket I witnessed (and this is no exaggeration) hundreds of ticketless fans climbing up, or being pulled up by their mates, the outside of the staircase towers to the sides of the gates.

Tickets meant nothing on terraces, if you could get in by fair means or foul it was considered fair game. The authorities just watched, they did nothing. It is inconceivable fans didn't turn up to do the same at Hillsborough.Totally inconceivable.

It should be obvious, although apparently it's not :roll:, that I don't level this at the 96, nor the vast majority of the crowd as a whole that day. They were, like I would have been back then if I hadn't been so lucky, a law abiding, sober, ticket holding fan, just going to to a game and being let down by the authorities.

Someone last night on the TV referred to the drunken, late arriving and ticketless fans as "mythical". We're they heck as like. They would've been there all right and yes THEIR behaviour contributed TOGETHER with all the other failures that also very definitely happened.

Why have they not been identified? Would YOU come forward and admit you contributed to the biggest sporting disaster the country has ever seen?, in a city consumed by grief wanting answers? No, you wouldn't. But dotted around Liverpool for 27 years now have lived a significant number of individuals who know full well what they did and what it CONTRIBUTED to. It used to be a badge of honour to get in the ground 'on the wag', you think it stopped that day? No way, it stopped because of that day.

Said i'd stay out of this discussion having made my point yesterday but I can't sit by and watch what I posted get misrepresented and twisted. I do NOT blame the fans as a collective, but the specific fans I am referring to would have been there and their numbers would have contributed in some form to what happened.

Now carry on the name calling and finger pointing if you like, it has no effect on me. But don't put words in my name that I did not say and would not agree with.

Pure propaganda from you as usual, if there was one shred of evidence that the corrupt SY Police could have obtained to take the blame away from them they would have moved heaven and earth to get it,the only evidence they gave were pure lies.

What your saying is if you are driving your car in a normal manner and hit by a car driven by a drunk driver you are partly to blame because you were driving your car.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
dunlop":1o5i1tkl said:
X Isle":1o5i1tkl said:
dunlop":1o5i1tkl said:
XIsle and esmer are two condescending idiots who refuse to believe concrete evidence that the Liverpool fans were not to blame for the Hilisborough tragedy.

Maybe if you had accurately summarised my view, yiu would have concluded differently. The "concrete evidence" I am bringing to my opinion is what I saw with my own eyes.

As well as the general behaviour of a significant minority of fans at all games, big cup games on terraces would've brought with it the same behaviour as I witnesses at ALL England games. Whilst fighting through large scrums (you can't call them queues) to get in with my ticket I witnessed (and this is no exaggeration) hundreds of ticketless fans climbing up, or being pulled up by their mates, the outside of the staircase towers to the sides of the gates.

Tickets meant nothing on terraces, if you could get in by fair means or foul it was considered fair game. The authorities just watched, they did nothing. It is inconceivable fans didn't turn up to do the same at Hillsborough.Totally inconceivable.

It should be obvious, although apparently it's not :roll:, that I don't level this at the 96, nor the vast majority of the crowd as a whole that day. They were, like I would have been back then if I hadn't been so lucky, a law abiding, sober, ticket holding fan, just going to to a game and being let down by the authorities.

Someone last night on the TV referred to the drunken, late arriving and ticketless fans as "mythical". We're they heck as like. They would've been there all right and yes THEIR behaviour contributed TOGETHER with all the other failures that also very definitely happened.

Why have they not been identified? Would YOU come forward and admit you contributed to the biggest sporting disaster the country has ever seen?, in a city consumed by grief wanting answers? No, you wouldn't. But dotted around Liverpool for 27 years now have lived a significant number of individuals who know full well what they did and what it CONTRIBUTED to. It used to be a badge of honour to get in the ground 'on the wag', you think it stopped that day? No way, it stopped because of that day.

Said i'd stay out of this discussion having made my point yesterday but I can't sit by and watch what I posted get misrepresented and twisted. I do NOT blame the fans as a collective, but the specific fans I am referring to would have been there and their numbers would have contributed in some form to what happened.

Now carry on the name calling and finger pointing if you like, it has no effect on me. But don't put words in my name that I did not say and would not agree with.

Pure propaganda from you as usual, if there was one shred of evidence that the corrupt SY Police could have obtained to take the blame away from them they would have moved heaven and earth to get it,the only evidence they gave were pure lies.

What your saying is if you are driving your car in a normal manner and hit by a car driven by a drunk driver you are partly to blame because you were driving your car.

I'm surprised X'y hasn't blamed Peter Beardsley. After all, it was his two goals that put Liverpool on the way to beating Brentford in the Sixth Round. In simplistic terms you could say that this event led to 96 Liverpool fans being in Sheffield that day. That's not how it works though. X'y says that some footy fans of that time would arrive late, ticketless and be tanked up. If X'y knows this then the police should have known it too and managed such situations..... but they didn't.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
esmer":2utcx5d2 said:
Frank_Butcher":2utcx5d2 said:
esmer":2utcx5d2 said:

I'm sure most who disagree are too young to remember how it was back then. The whole idea that the Liverpool fans as a body behaved in a controlled, orderly manner is very hard to swallow. Aggression and violence was very much a part of football then, every club including ours had a hooligan element and the bigger the club the bigger the element and Liverpool were a huge club. The tragic events at the Heysel a couple of years before should surely dispell any doubts that Liverpool were exempt from this.

Wow, did you really type that last sentence ?
I didn't word it very well. I meant that all football clubs including Liverpool had a hard core of violent hooligans amongst their fan base at the time. I don't beleive that because a section of Liverpool fans went on a murdeous rampage at the Heysel they caused the Hillsborough tragedy. I merely doubt given the violence and aggression that surrounded football then that all the Liverpool fans present at Hillsborough were impeccably behaved inocents. The jury beleived it but I remain sceptical.

But you are aligning the broader context of football in those days with a specific incident where there is no evidence to bear a correlation. There is no suggestion of riotous or hooligan behaviour that day.

Yes, people were late (surprise !), yes people had been drinking (surprise !). That doesn't make them guilty of anything.

According to a contributor on 5Live this evening there was apparently a well known procedure at Hillsborough known as the Freeman plan (named after the officer who devised it). When the central pens were full, the idea was that the gate to the tunnel was closed hence dispersing incoming fans to the sides. This was not carried out on the day when the external gate was opened. It is not the job of fans - inebriated or otherwise - to predict the impact of their arrival in the ground - that is the job of those controlling the crowd.

ChepstowGreen

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
May 1, 2006
X Isle":1jrio58g said:
Biggs":1jrio58g said:
I must say, I feel I should stick up for X-Isle here.

As with most things, grey areas are completely ignored. Now we know that the 'police = 0% blame, fans=100% blame' angle that was peddled in the aftermath, was completely wrong.

Equally, I find it very hard to think that it was actually 'police = 100% blame, fans = 0%' given what we know about fan culture in that era, as Smiffy says.

Clearly though, the police share much, much more of the blame than fans and they should rightly pay the penalties. I just get uncomfortable when someone is hung out to dry for expressing an opinion that isn't either black or white, as X-Isle has done.

Thank you Biggs, if just one person 'gets' my point and takes it in it's intended context then it makes up for all the 'black and whiters' who refuse to see it...and yet apparently I'm deluded :lol:

Even if it's less that 1% fans v 99.9% police...then that's a contribution, and THAT was the wording of question 7.

Clearly the jury said 'no' to it because all the evidence they heard from fans was from salt of the earth football folk and their families. And they WERE salt of the earth football folk/families, just as I or my family would've been had I been crushed a little more at Wembley against Holland the following spring or you guys were that got crushed at Highbury and Ashton Gate as we've heard. It was endemic and could have happened anywhere, lots of people used to try anything to gain free entry.

The guys who they needed to hear from to answer 'yes' to question 7 didn't have to make (false) statements, they didn't have warrant numbers or traceable positions at SWFC, they just skulked out in embarrassed silence and have been silent ever since, untraceable.

Twisting this into X-Isle believes the police version is just utter bollox. Almost as much bollox as anyone believing that what went on ALL THE TIME at football back then simply didn't happen that one day. Inconceivable.

Enough already....again :roll:

Just wondering, X Isle, or others still thinking hundreds of ticketless fans tricked or forced their way in to contribute to the tragedy, have you watched this video yet?

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/vide ... ster-video

T

t._green

Mark Jenkin":2ssrs433 said:
t._green":2ssrs433 said:

Mistakes are made that is true and perhaps if the authorities had been honest and admitted they were to blame in the first place we wouldn't have had 27 years of the families seeking the truth.
Do you believe we should just sweep all the lies under the carpet and exonerate the people responsible for the lies in this cover up? I for one hope convictions follow, if we break the law we should suffer the consequences, High ranking Police officers are no different no matter how long ago they offended. It's a shame that the Chief Constable, Peter Wright, the man who appointed Duckenfield (a man who hadn't been to Hillsborough in several years ) as match commander and then led the deceit and lies to cover his back is no longer alive to receive his comeuppance.

What you say is true, the police should be treated that exact same way we all should be, so I'll certainly concede that point. My main issue is that whatever happened afterwards with the cover up, the tragedy itself was an accident brought on by too many people in too confined a space. Yes it was poorly managed by the police, and particularly by inexperienced officers but it was still a tragic accident that none foresaw coming

Jul 29, 2010

Ironically if you were looking for some civil claim recompense then this statement would be true! In most cases your claim value would be discounted just because you were there..... The law at times truly is an @rse.

Jan 6, 2007
t._green":1oajr1ry said:
Mark Jenkin":1oajr1ry said:
t._green":1oajr1ry said:

What you say is true, the police should be treated that exact same way we all should be, so I'll certainly concede that point. My main issue is that whatever happened afterwards with the cover up, the tragedy itself was an accident brought on by too many people in too confined a space. Yes it was poorly managed by the police, and particularly by inexperienced officers but it was still a tragic accident that none foresaw coming
The match commander was put in charge of the safety of over 50,000 spectators. He chose not to visit Hillsborough before the day of the game to examine the lay out. He chose not to put in ticket checks leading up to the turnstiles, he chose not to close off the central pens when they became full. The previous match commander (who was removed 19 days before the match) used these tactics, so he must have foreseen this as necessary.
This tragedy may still have occurred, who knows, but what is known is that Duckenfield did not prepare properly for the event and thus increased the risk of the tragedy.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
It is disappointing that some are still saying this was an accident. Accidental death has been quashed. The verdict is clear. These people were unlawfully killed. It is no different to holding a concert on Beach Head and leading 96 people over the cliff. That wouldn't be an accident either.

A

AdJoMa

Let me say first and foremost and unequivocally that those who died were absolutely the innocent victims of some - in hindsight - bad decisions by the police. They weren't helped by the bad state of the ground itself and prior warnings which had gone ignored.

If that was 'all' that was wrong and the police had been honest about their failings in the first place, all of this would have been dealt with years ago and families would have had time to grieve and find peace.

The really appalling part of the whole thing was what followed. The fabrications and collusion and alteration of statements is a total betrayal of trust and must never happen again. Those who sanctioned or ordered this fabrication must be brought to book.

Having said all that, I am not entirely sure that everything has been covered in this investigation.

Many have spoken of the regular hooliganism and violence which was prevalent in football in the eighties which culminated - for most English supporters - at Heysel. 14 Liverpool supporters were convicted of manslaughter and English clubs were banned from European competitions for 5 years. Hillsborough was less than four years after Heysel so all English clubs were still banned at the time.

My point is this: Can you honestly believe that in the back of many of the policemen's minds when this tragedy began, they didn't think initially "here goes another Heysel". (Justice Taylor's report doesn't mention Heysel at all.)

It is this doubt in their minds which I believe made things much worse than would otherwise have been the case. If the police had started reacting favourably say two minutes earlier, how many lives would have been saved?

My own opinion is that hooliganism throughout the decade had a direct bearing on the outcome of this tragedy and many thousands of 'football supporters' should consider their part leading up to this dreadfully sad event.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
AdJoMa":9pcq4re4 said:
Let me say first and foremost and unequivocally that those who died were absolutely the innocent victims of some - in hindsight - bad decisions by the police. They weren't helped by the bad state of the ground itself and prior warnings which had gone ignored.

If that was 'all' that was wrong and the police had been honest about their failings in the first place, all of this would have been dealt with years ago and families would have had time to grieve and find peace.

The really appalling part of the whole thing was what followed. The fabrications and collusion and alteration of statements is a total betrayal of trust and must never happen again. Those who sanctioned or ordered this fabrication must be brought to book.

Having said all that, I am not entirely sure that everything has been covered in this investigation.

Many have spoken of the regular hooliganism and violence which was prevalent in football in the eighties which culminated - for most English supporters - at Heysel. 14 Liverpool supporters were convicted of manslaughter and English clubs were banned from European competitions for 5 years. Hillsborough was less than four years after Heysel so all English clubs were still banned at the time.

My point is this: Can you honestly believe that in the back of many of the policemen's minds when this tragedy began, they didn't think initially "here goes another Heysel". (Justice Taylor's report doesn't mention Heysel at all.)

It is this doubt in their minds which I believe made things much worse than would otherwise have been the case. If the police had started reacting favourably say two minutes earlier, how many lives would have been saved?

My own opinion is that hooliganism throughout the decade had a direct bearing on the outcome of this tragedy and many thousands of 'football supporters' should consider their part leading up to this dreadfully sad event.

I agree with the general thrust of your last 3 sentences. I recall the saying, 'Give a dog a bad name and it sticks'. I am sure this was uppermost in some police officers minds at the time. What bothers me is the proximity of the Police Control Box on the corner adjacent to the Leppings Lane pens. Any intelligent copper from that elevated position surely should have recognised the increasing congestion that developed and raised the alarm much earlier. I just hope that junior officers were not reluctant to raise the issue for fear of getting a bollocking from silver hatted senior officers.

A

AdJoMa

Quintrell_Green":2z86qv3p said:
AdJoMa":2z86qv3p said:

I agree with the general thrust of your last 3 sentences. I recall the saying, 'Give a dog a bad name and it sticks'. I am sure this was uppermost in some police officers minds at the time. What bothers me is the proximity of the Police Control Box on the corner adjacent to the Leppings Lane pens. Any intelligent copper from that elevated position surely should have recognised the increasing congestion that developed and raised the alarm much earlier. I just hope that junior officers were not reluctant to raise the issue for fear of getting a bollocking from silver hatted senior officers.

I think we also need to consider the possibility that a number of policemen may have been suffering from PTSD following the frequent run ins with hooligans over the years. I'm guessing back then you couldn't just go to your commanding officer and say "I don't really feel up to it - but I don't know why".

I suspect also that police - like in many businesses - can get promoted and then moved to an area that they are not necessarily suited for.

I think in general, the public look to police and other emergency services to be almost godlike and are horrified when they turn out to be human with all the failures and frailties that we can all suffer from.