Hillsborough verdicts. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Hillsborough verdicts.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
Lundan Cabbie":ox2iogiu said:
... Duckingfield may have been the officer in charge but those ranked higher in my view were equally, if not more responsible in that they appointed a match commander who was not professionally suitable and who had not been properly trained for the role.

Exactly LC. The Chief Constable, Peter Wright, bore the responsibility according to accountability lines, and was instrumental in the tarnishing of LFC supporters that was gleefully and nauseatingly picked up by The Scum. He has since died (see the linked article in the OP), so I wonder what the outcome will be in his case. I suspect that Duckenfield has got it coming to him, but I would hope that the full picture emerges and that he isn't hung out to dry on his own as the last man standing.

May 1, 2011
Ade the green":28rweu58 said:
I can't think of a single catastrophic incident that has occurred since WWII that has garnished so many inquiries. Maybe it's just me but I thought the inquest had finished years ago and can't help thinking that any verdict that didn't completely absolve LFC fans of any wrong doing was almost going to be contested.

I'm sorry but you totally miss the point. All the previous inquiries have been shown to be establishment cover ups so they are null and void. Of course fans have to take their share of the blame but the point is so much taxpayers money has been wasted covering up the truth and helping criminal activity such as altering police statements to suit the establishment verdict. We now have a enquiry for the original incident of which there were many guilty parties including the fans but also into the police lieing and yet again engaging in corruption in the aftermath. If you don't think we need to know the truth about those that enforce the law then well......

Feb 15, 2005
What happened could have happened at many grounds on any weekend of the season and the Authorities, Police and the fans all had a key role in this tragedy.

May 1, 2011
buck197":1k59mlyk said:
What happened could have happened at many grounds on any weekend of the season and the Authorities, Police and the fans all had a key role in this tragedy.

True so don't spend over 25 years covering it up and lieing to courts of law and destroying any faith in the institutions that exist to serve us. Sling any copper who lied into prison.

May 3, 2007
Liskeard, Cornwall
The thing about the LFC fans having a big part to play has been well and truly squashed over the years (see the link re cover up I added to the OP); the problem is that lies stick like poo on a blanket.

To stretch that analogy too far, tomorrow it will all come out in the wash.

Aug 10, 2006
supporters and police to blame for that and I'm not sure there was a need to spend millions on an inquest, also why doe's the ibrox 71 disaster and the Bradford fire not get the same coverage from the media just saying.

Oct 24, 2010
loyal1970":3gsfqdjs said:
supporters and police to blame for that and I'm not sure there was a need to spend millions on an inquest, also why doe's the ibrox 71 disaster and the Bradford fire not get the same coverage from the media just saying.
Or Heysel

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
mercedes":1cvfbcdl said:
Having stood on the Kop at Liverpool probably 50 or so times during the 1970's, it amazes me that dozens were not killed during those times.

Me also. It was not so bad entering the Kop, but the danger was being swept off one's feet as everybody surged to leave. It was like the River Severn in flood conditions, sweeping hot dog stands and scarf stands with it as the crowds passed down the back to back streets that surrounded Anfield in those days.

Aug 26, 2011
Bradford Hysel Hillsborough

These three events lead to football changing forever

Stadiums in the 80s were generally run down and more concerned with penning in fans to prevent violence than health and safety of the fans

Sky football money also a factor and today's stadiums do feel much safer although a much less intense atmosphere but a price that had to be paid for fan safety

Clock end first pen at Arsenal when many more thousands of the green army turned up than was expected was f......... scary as was Bristol after the game in that alley with the horses and Derby County in Lyndhurst when police moved in to make arrests - we were just lucky it never happened to us

The behaviour of fans in the 80s was not good and in a significant number of games there was violence and aggression

Decision to open the outside gates at Hilsborough was a massive mistake - previous games the gates to the central pens were closed when full and this would have avoided the tragedy

ducking field will probably hung out to dry - think it may have been his first game in charge - those who appointed him are to blame as well as he didn't have the experience or training

It is the establishment cover up that seriously pizzes me off - Thatcher didn't want any blame attached to police and lies, perjury, changing statements etc is disgusting. It was decided that it was going to be the working class football fans fault and they made sure the truth was covered up - I believe it would have been very different if it had happened at a game of rugby

Be interesting to see the verdict on the fans behaviour

Topboy

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 2, 2003
Plympton
I was going to mention the Arsenal FA Cup game.

So many crammed in. Kids being passed down to the front and put over the (thankfully) small fencing. Adults jumping the fence to escape the crush whilst being told by the Met to get back in.

I remember the guy on the gate laughing when we arrived as he couldn't believe how many Argyle fans had turned up.

Pretty scary for a while in there.

Oct 24, 2010
TynanWozGr8":ediu9i9b said:

Stadiums in the 80s were generally run down and more concerned with penning in fans to prevent violence than health and safety of the fans

Sky football money also a factor and today's stadiums do feel much safer although a much less intense atmosphere but a price that had to be paid for fan safety

Clock end first pen at Arsenal when many more thousands of the green army turned up than was expected was f......... scary as was Bristol after the game in that alley with the horses and Derby County in Lyndhurst when police moved in to make arrests - we were just lucky it never happened to us

The behaviour of fans in the 80s was not good and in a significant number of games there was violence and aggression

Decision to open the outside gates at Hilsborough was a massive mistake - previous games the gates to the central pens were closed when full and this would have avoided the tragedy

ducking field will probably hung out to dry - think it may have been his first game in charge - those who appointed him are to blame as well as he didn't have the experience or training

It is the establishment cover up that seriously pizzes me off - Thatcher didn't want any blame attached to police and lies, perjury, changing statements etc is disgusting. It was decided that it was going to be the working class football fans fault and they made sure the truth was covered up - I believe it would have been very different if it had happened at a game of rugby

I can't see that there has been a cover up. The Taylor inquiry, the Hillsborough Independent Panel Report and numerous media (newspaper and TV) investigations have all exposed the police force's deceit and laid the blame fully on the police and the authorities. Duckenfield has already been charged and tried (the jury couldn't agree on a verdict). It was pointless spending millions of pounds of taxpayers money on yet another inquest.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Topboy":1swvxox4 said:
I was going to mention the Arsenal FA Cup game.

So many crammed in. Kids being passed down to the front and put over the (thankfully) small fencing. Adults jumping the fence to escape the crush whilst being told by the Met to get back in.

I remember the guy on the gate laughing when we arrived as he couldn't believe how many Argyle fans had turned up.

Pretty scary for a while in there.

Yep. That was scary. Wasn't one of the trains late with fans trying to get in adding to a last minute crush?
Back in those days it just seemed the norm.

Aug 26, 2011
But they had only opened two of the four pens initially

Really poor planning - I seem to remember George Graham mentioned in his programme notes that we were expected to bring 10k plus so they knew were we coming on numbers

Somehow we got into the next pens along but I was lifted off my feet by the crush in the first pen

Was that 4th round in January 1987 ????

May 1, 2011
esmer":2xmarzoy said:
TynanWozGr8":2xmarzoy said:

I can't see that there has been a cover up. The Taylor inquiry, the Hillsborough Independent Panel Report and numerous media (newspaper and TV) investigations have all exposed the police force's deceit and laid the blame fully on the police and the authorities. Duckenfield has already been charged and tried (the jury couldn't agree on a verdict). It was pointless spending millions of pounds of taxpayers money on yet another inquest.

Had there never been a cover in the first place then we wouldn't be spending tax payers money now. Blame the police and the establishment right the way up to Thatcher. How much money has been wasted on police pensions and sick pay over the years?

May 1, 2011
loyal1970":2ynsu7jk said:

Because the police and the establishment didn't lie for 25 years about those events.