Retained list (Merged and confirmed) | Page 12 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained list (Merged and confirmed)

Beyton Green

Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Feb 19, 2005
Imagine resorting to cheap insults because you donā€™t like an opinion.

Take your green specs off - none of this lot (save Randell cooper and ennis) get in any champ squad except ours.
Wow I can be super negative but you're off the scale!!

Reactions: jthep

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jul 28, 2010
The quoted stats as I read them were more to do with exceptional saves than errors - as in most of the keepers on the list saved more certain goals than Burton, rather than gave fewer gifts away, if that makes sense.

I thought Burton did well, but we need a new keeper because we cannot be sure when Cooper will be back and ready to start games. It would be suicidal to try and play through to Christmas with Burton plus an 18 year old who's never played adult football as our only goalkeeping options.
Perhaps use one of our loan slots until Xmas when Coops should be back.

Mar 23, 2008
Shame for Grant and Bolton that they have struggled with injuries so much, both very good players and seem good characters.
Think Conor's best spell with us was at LWB when he linked with Mayor. Bolton has always impressed me when he's played, when fit he's easily as first choice CB but just hasn't played enough games over the last 2 years.
Both have made big contributions though and wish them well, sure they will get good clubs.

Reactions: mil511

Butternubs

Jam First
Nov 4, 2021
Plymouth
Yeah, and can use their hands, which some are better at doing than others.
Err...

OK get a team of 11 players together. Have your goalkeeper be pro level. Then tell your 10 outfield players not to defend anything. Play a fixture and let me know how many you concede. My guess will be a rugby score.

Jul 12, 2016
Opinions are all well and good and expected on a site like this.However anybody who disrespects the efforts of anybody connected with Argyle this year should expect the scorn of the majority of people on PASOTI.We have massively over achieved!The only word needed is Thanks.
I am not surprised by the list of players released but am surprised Wilson has been offered a new contract. By saying we ā€œmassively overachieved ā€œthis season it is almost casting doubt on the ability of the remaining players to step up to the Championship.

Reactions: saxman
Oct 19, 2021
I am not surprised by the list of players released but am surprised Wilson has been offered a new contract. By saying we ā€œmassively overachieved ā€œthis season it is almost casting doubt on the ability of the remaining players to step up to the Championship.
I think we did massively overachieve from a financial point of view, and Schuey has said that many times. Unless I missed it, I donā€™t think he has ever said that the actual squad of players has been overachieving this season. Iā€™m sure he thinks our squad is just as good, if not better, than the other top teams in the division, itā€™s just that we managed to do that with significantly less money than others.

Reactions: Belfast Green
Jun 27, 2019
I think we did massively overachieve from a financial point of view, and Schuey has said that many times. Unless I missed it, I donā€™t think he has ever said that the actual squad of players has been overachieving this season. Iā€™m sure he thinks our squad is just as good, if not better, than the other top teams in the division, itā€™s just that we managed to do that with significantly less money than others.
And by borrowing six players. It paid off big time but I hope there's a little less reliance on loan signings next season.

It's great when they're wearing the shirt and pulling up trees for you, but it sucks when they all pack their bags at the end of the season.

Reactions: Lancastergreen
Jan 4, 2023
And by borrowing six players. It paid off big time but I hope there's a little less reliance on loan signings next season.

It's great when they're wearing the shirt and pulling up trees for you, but it sucks when they all pack their bags at the end of the season.
There will be even more reliance on loan players - we dont have the budget to do it without them.

Last year I was pretty gutted when garrick etc left but we replaced them all with even better players and Iā€™ve no doubt we will do it again.

Like you Iā€™d love 11 contracted players on the pitch, but being realistic that will end in tears for the near future

Nov 3, 2006
With six loan players plus Mayor going and Cooper still out injured for the forseeable, we'll be short of at least eight key title winners, possibly more.

Not ideal having to manage a major squad re-build while also stepping up a league, but the loan system has helped us outperform clubs with far bigger budgets so we have to live with both sides of it.

I reckon Houghton and Wilson will re-sign and Scarr has spoken positively about staying. Less confident of Hardie and particularly Ennis.
I see it as a good thing. Those released aren't good enough for the Championship so it gives us a partial clean slate to work with.

Jul 12, 2016
IMO you cannot separate the two. If we paid less wages than our competitors and therefore the players were of lesser value we did overachieve in being champions. Itā€™s the ā€œmassivelyā€ I struggle with. If that is your perception we stand no chance in the Championship .How can you go better than ā€œmassively overachieveā€?

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
Wow I can be super negative but you're off the scale!!
Wrong in my view. Loads of our squad could play for other Championship sides. I think there's an over-inflation of the jump to this division. Sure we will get a hiding somewhere but I guarantee we will dish a few out too.

We are an unknown quantity to the established championship clubs and we will surprise a few no doubt. Newly promoted sides have been known to have a bounce factor - they've swept all before them and it can continue in their new division.

Sure we are playing some big names, but some are paper tigers compared to their glory years. Let's be disruptors, Let's be upstarts and let's get about them!

Jan 30, 2016
One or two negative comments about Wilson. I think he had a solid season- not man of the match performances but 6 or 7 scores from 10. He has proven to be reliable, keeps himself fit having no major injuries that i can recall, and links up we'll with whoever is the wing back on the right. Maybe we get another RCB in with more pace, but Wilson will make a good squad player and in my book deserves a one year contract at least.

I think we will need another playmaker to replace Danny.

Reactions: Moorlander and NLG