Retained list (Merged and confirmed) | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Retained list (Merged and confirmed)

Oct 2, 2009
Fulwood Lancs
Of the 34 goalkeepers who played at least 1,000 minutes in League One this season, Burton was ranked 21st for Prevented Goals (Cooper was 1st).

You may think 21st isn't bad for a back-up, but it's actually quite poor when the data also shows we had the lowest xG Against during the period Burton was in goal.

We had one of the highest xG Against figure when Cooper was in goal, which suggests the whole team made a concerted effort to protect the goal when Burton came in. It also makes Cooper's stats even more impressive.

Burton is a decent keeper and has more than played his part in our promotion. However, we'll need better in the Championship - even just as back-up. Sentiment won't keep the ball out of our net.
I find these stats rather bamboozling; apart from Oxford away I can't remember any goals Argyle conceded that you could directly attribute to Burton.

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
Danny, when on his game and focused was as good as anyone in the EFL, but to go out on a high, and with respect to his family, is the right decision for him and the club. Good luck Danny, you sacrificed a lot to be here and no doubt you were commited.

Conor too, total professional, great guy, lovely left foot. But time and circumstances have caught up with him. Good luck Conor, always a green.

Now, return of the Morgan?

and who else? exciting pre season ahead.

May 7, 2015
I find these stats rather bamboozling; apart from Oxford away I can't remember any goals Argyle conceded that you could directly attribute to Burton.
He's a goal keeper. He isn't just there to not give goals away through mistakes. That is a pretty low bar lol.
He's there to try to prevent goals from others' mistakes or from good oppositional play.
Just because he hasn't done anything blatantly wrong like throwing the ball in his own net, doesn't mean he has done a well as could be possible.
Not his fault, but Cooper was not only a brilliant shot stopper, he dominated his box, claimed crosses, communicated well and set up attacks with quick, smart play, an amazing throw and brilliant execution. He stopped goals that noone could have expected.

Many times watching Burton he didn't do much 'wrong' (if you don't count him staying on the goal line at most corners and crosses), but especially early on it seemed almost every shot was a goal against.

Not having goals attributed to him doesn't mean he doesn't have weaknesses, or that he is on Cooper's level. Not his fault of course.

Reactions: Lobster

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
You could probably take off a few goals from that opening shaky period when he first came in, where he was very understandably rusty.

I feel he just got better and better, and by the last few games I didn't have an ounce of worry in him.

Jan 30, 2016
Devastated that DM10 is leaving but wish him all the best.
Grant I think is a better full back then a winger - but a true professional. Hope he finds a team somewhere.
Bolton when fit is as good as Scarr - shame he could not stay fit. Wish him all the best.
Have seen some great goals scored by young Luke-but looks like he has lost form - hope he also finds a team.
Hope the young goalkeeper finds somewhere.

Oct 20, 2022
It will be interesting to see who emerges as our left wing backs with Miller Earley Wright and Endacott.More than enough there to explain why Grant wasn’t offered a contract but nobody offering what Mumba offers.At least there is a place up for grabs.May the best men win.

Reactions: InterMePasty
Jul 12, 2016
Wilson is a very quick sprinter over 20-40 yards, have you not seen the way he chases back to make tackles and blocks?!
Not that I noticed. I often see players run past him and leave him in their wake. I felt if there was a weakness in our defence this season it was a lack of pace.

Dec 9, 2012
We will sign another keeper, no doubt about it. There was a graphic released this week about the performances of League One keepers and it didn't paint Burton in the best light. We know how much Argyle love data so they'll be all too aware of the need to bring someone in who can get a bit closer to Cooper's level of performance.
Do you have a link to this? It would be interesting to know what data is used to assess a keeper. I understand that km covered / tackles made / successful passes etc would be fairly easily quantifiable for an outfield player.
My 'subjective fan' impression of Callum Burton in recent weeks has been that he has been solid.

Dec 9, 2012
How can you say he was “below par” What more could he have done as I don’t recall him making that many mistakes? To be honest I am more concerned that we have offered terms to Wilson who isn’t the quickest.
Imagine he would struggle in the Championship.
Five of the goals he conceded were during the horror show at Peterborough, when I don't recall him being at fault particularly.
In recent weeks I have felt quite confident in him, during what was, to put it mildly, a nail biting period!

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
A word for Luke Jephcott who played a massive part in getting us where we are today.

His goals helped to get us over the line in 2019/20, kept us up the following season and then hugely contributed to a brilliant season in 2021/22 that laid the foundations for the truly sensational one that followed.

We have a poor history of bringing local players through, so it was great to see LJ break into the team and play over 100 games with a very credible goalscoring record as well.

Best of luck with whatever comes next and I hope he gets a warm reception any time he's back at Home Park

Echo this 👏👏

Reactions: Deacster