Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumours | Page 13 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumours

Sep 22, 2020
'Argyle fans, spread around the World as they are, can play a role in this, as unofficial, unpaid scouts. In my opinion it's upto the Club to consider this and provide for it.'

bodmin, crafthole, tavistock, callington....................

Sep 6, 2006
At this stage of every season, pitches at Leagues 1 and 2 Clubs are heavy and cut up, players are fatigued, each club has 2 or 3 players out injured.

This is the background to Argyle's and every Club's need to strengthen in January.

It's possible to reassess a Club's competitiveness at the end of January on the basis of injuries, new signings and style of play (a passing game causes more player fatigue particularly on winter pitches)

On that basis, as things stand, I think Argyle are about 9th or 10th. Club's above us have added to their squads, have outbid us and clearly have bigger budgets.

For a Club like Argyle, it's about signing 'developmental' players from lower or foreign Leagues, players who are off the radar and may well develop into significant assets.

It's about spreading the net wider and finding that unscouted gem, like Yannick Bolasie.

Argyle fans, spread around the World as they are, can play a role in this, as unofficial, unpaid scouts. In my opinion it's upto the Club to consider this and provide for it.

Who knows, we could end up with a new Bolasie, Halmosi or Buszaky one day.
How does the passing game cause 'more fatigue'?

Sep 6, 2006
Wouldn't you find it easier to just lump the ball up field than to get it up there after a dozen passes and a lot of running?
So if you lump it up the field you don't have to run after it? Pass the ball, make the ball do the work. Of course movement off the ball is needed.

Apr 28, 2019
So if you lump it up the field you don't have to run after it? Pass the ball, make the ball do the work. Of course movement off the ball is needed.
For teams that play direct, there's an emphasis on 'shape' which is a much more static, rigid arrangement of your players.

And having a rigid formation or 'shape' obviously means there's less running being done.

A team with wing backs will obviously cover a lot more of the pitch during a game.

Latterly, I have been very critical of Argyle ?

Why ?

Playing with little or no shape - can Brunt play with Randell play with Houghton - as an example ?

The defence have been at sixes and sevens - I believe, we are a patch of the team from several weeks ago ?

Is rotation working ?

Has it spoilt the essence of the team ?

Let you observers pick the bones !!

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
'Argyle fans, spread around the World as they are, can play a role in this, as unofficial, unpaid scouts. In my opinion it's upto the Club to consider this and provide for it.'

bodmin, crafthole, tavistock, callington....................
I can't think of any occasions at all where the fans have recommended a player unknown to the club who we've then gone out and signed. It's a great fantasy, but I don't think it ever really happens sadly.

Sep 6, 2006
For teams that play direct, there's an emphasis on 'shape' which is a much more static, rigid arrangement of your players.

And having a rigid formation or 'shape' obviously means there's less running being done.

A team with wing backs will obviously cover a lot more of the pitch during a game.
I don't think that rings true though the wing back role is hard for sure. If you play more direct long ball you will have less possession which means you spend more energy chasing the opposition.

Apr 28, 2019
I don't think that rings true though the wing back role is hard for sure. If you play more direct long ball you will have less possession which means you spend more energy chasing the opposition. long ball team, are keeping a 'shape' the emphasis will be the opposition to break you down, to create a goal.
Think back to the 'parking the bus' analogy used by Jose Mourinho.

The bus parking being 2 banks of 4, difficult to break down and needing a lot of positional discipline from the defending team.

We saw this at Argyle most recently in L2 when teams came to home park happy to get a nil nil.

The emphasis is on the attacking team to create, and that takes a bit more running and passing.

Apr 4, 2004

Static footballers, we should definitely try not to sign any of those.

• Haha
Reactions: HerthaBSC