Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumours | Page 14 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Plymouth Argyle Transfer Rumours

Apr 1, 2017
Latterly, I have been very critical of Argyle ?

Why ?

Playing with little or no shape - can Brunt play with Randell play with Houghton - as an example ?

The defence have been at sixes and sevens - I believe, we are a patch of the team from several weeks ago ?

Is rotation working ?

Has it spoilt the essence of the team ?

Let you observers pick the bones !!
Brunt .... didn't realise he was still at the club 😂

Sep 6, 2006
Think back to the 'parking the bus' analogy used by Jose Mourinho.

The bus parking being 2 banks of 4, difficult to break down and needing a lot of positional discipline from the defending team.

We saw this at Argyle most recently in L2 when teams came to home park happy to get a nil nil.

The emphasis is on the attacking team to create, and that takes a bit more running and passing.
Without having the stats am pretty sure you are incorrect. It's well known the team without the ball do more running which is why they get tired and often concede late. 'Parking the bus' is well out of date as is Mourinho.

Sep 6, 2006
As are target men.
You had better tell Schuey, Dewsnip etc and all the other teams(e.g. Rotherham)that like to play a tall striker(or who wanted to sign one) who can win headers and hold off 6ft plus Central defenders using their strength. Something different as Schuey has said. That doesn't mean hoofing it every time aimlessly down the pitch(although even we do that sometimes!).

Reactions: Drake
Apr 28, 2019
You had better tell Schuey, Dewsnip etc and all the other teams(e.g. Rotherham)that like to play a tall striker(or who wanted to sign one) who can win headers and hold off 6ft plus Central defenders using their strength. Something different as Schuey has said. That doesn't mean hoofing it every time aimlessly down the pitch(although even we do that sometimes!).
The tactic of having a "target man" is out of date.

It relies on a percentage game.

Today's game is about retaining possession. Having a physical presence in the box, someone as good with his feet as he is in the air is sought after in any team.

It's the latter that Argyle could do with.

Apr 28, 2019
I can't think of any occasions at all where the fans have recommended a player unknown to the club who we've then gone out and signed. It's a great fantasy, but I don't think it ever really happens sadly.
Yannick Bolasie was 'scouted' by an Argyle fan in Malta

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010

Today's game is about retaining possession. Having a physical presence in the box, someone as good with his feet as he is in the air is sought after in any team.

Agreed but height and good on the ball will be costly. Jephcott and Ennis are both capable of holding the ball up but require the ball at chest height. In which case the emphasis shifts towards finding players who can hit that target from midfield or defence, or to holding the ball up by playing it into space and having forwards with the pace to run on to it and keep possession - Hardie or Garrick and to a certain extent Ennis.

I'm more concerned about the goals conceded than our scoring them. There's an interesting bit in Edwards' interview from Saturday where he says his role has changed. I wonder if that links to an increase in goals conceded and a switch of defensive duties from the wing backs to midfield.

Apr 28, 2019
Agreed but height and good on the ball will be costly. Jephcott and Ennis are both capable of holding the ball up but require the ball at chest height. In which case the emphasis shifts towards finding players who can hit that target from midfield or defence, or to holding the ball up by playing it into space and having forwards with the pace to run on to it and keep possession - Hardie or Garrick and to a certain extent Ennis.

I'm more concerned about the goals conceded than our scoring them. There's an interesting bit in Edwards' interview from Saturday where he says his role has changed. I wonder if that links to an increase in goals conceded and a switch of defensive duties from the wing backs to midfield.
Yes, tall skilful players are more expensive.

Noticeable at Argyle during pre match line ups that bigger budget teams are generally taller.

But, stick to your budget and play to your strengths would be my doctrine.

What does this mean ? Adjusting corners and free kicks accordingly. Don't whip a corner in for the 6'6" player who isn't there. Play it in hard and low and we'll have a better impact with our corners and free kicks.

Apr 28, 2019

Interesting to hear about Joe Edwards saying his role has changed. Has helped his goal tally, but our defence isn't looking good at all now. Not too late to change it back.

Sep 6, 2006
Yes, tall skilful players are more expensive.

Noticeable at Argyle during pre match line ups that bigger budget teams are generally taller.

But, stick to your budget and play to your strengths would be my doctrine.

What does this mean ? Adjusting corners and free kicks accordingly. Don't whip a corner in for the 6'6" player who isn't there. Play it in hard and low and we'll have a better impact with our corners and free kicks.
Nobody hits corners in hard and low. Just doesn't work.

Sep 6, 2006

Physical presence outside the box too. I think we just disagree on the definition of a target man. I keep saying I don't advocate hoofing it up aimlessly although sometimes there is no choice.