Mid-Table Finish? (And Grandstand Discussion) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Mid-Table Finish? (And Grandstand Discussion)

Jan 29, 2006
Canterbury
Oh right sorry, don't really know anything about who or what 'they' are, was just puzzled why family of some random blogger was brought into this. Just looks like an innocuous blog site to me.

M

millsey1999

The article does say that Accrington will struggle because of the loss of Boco.

R

RWW

xmastree":28ognsbg said:
RWW":28ognsbg said:
We probably all agree that the completed ground won't be big enough so what is the solution?

Easy - fill it every week and make JB watch thousands of fans with £20 in their hands be locked out each week. The extra capacity will soon be forthcoming.

Daft comment. If that happened, and it's a big if, what you would see would be a rise in ticket prices.

There are people who won't go due the stand issue - a couple I paid for last season have taken this decision - but I imagine there won't be many.

I find it staggering that some people won't go to Argyle next season because of the "stand issue". To not watch Argyle because a stand that is being built isn't big enough is mind boggling.....

And I don't think you would see a rise in ticket prices. Comments like that are simply the result of lazy mathematics.

Let's say, for arguments sake, that the new capacity is 18000 and the average ticket price is £20. This brings in £360 000 per game.

JB notes we are regularly full and decides to increase the capacity to 25000. These extra 7000 seats bring in an extra £140 000 per game. You then have to add in the extra merchandise that is bought etc. In addition, you need to consider the extra space that another expansion could provide behind the scenes for conferencing, restaurants etc. This is where the real money is.

To get another £140 000 per game the average ticket price would have to rise from £20 to approximately £28. (Or, a rise of 40%. (In addition, you have to account for the normal rise in inflation of things so in reality we are probably talking 50% or any average ticket price of £30).

I can't imagine the people of Plymouth paying £30 to watch Championship football (without adding in the extra merchandise etc. that the extra 7000 would buy). I can imagine the people of Plymouth paying £20 to watch Championship football.

By your logic, if our ground had a capacity of 1000, we would be able to get the same income stream as we do from an average crowd of 6000 by increasing the price 6 fold! I don't think more than 100 people would pay £120 to watch an Argyle match.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I think some people might use the GS as an excuse not to attend, but other than that, it's laughable.

Dec 7, 2006
esmer":1jsbhz2c said:
FordGreen":1jsbhz2c said:
esmer":1jsbhz2c said:
IJN":1jsbhz2c said:
Bollox Richard, this lot allowed the loons to spout utter rubbish about me, and despite complaints about lies after lies.

Then I find out one of them is the BiL of one of the idiots on the other site.

Hidden agenda? I'm not sure it's that hidden if I'm honest.

I treat anything that lot say with contempt since then.

Yet more propaganda from people with 'politics' on their mind.

Be naive if you want, but don't expect everyone to take it at face value.
I think you missed the word "if" in my post Ian. If season ticket sales and attendances are down there can only be one explanation.
Utter, utter tosh - how about the recession, then? It's certainly buggered up any hope I had of being able to afford to go this season! :roll:
Things are no worse than they were this time last year, or for a number of years come to that. Throw in the fact that season tickets are far cheaper than they were last year the economic argument doesn't hold water.
Maybe in your alternative universe - things 'no worse than they were last year'? Really? :facepalm: I thnk I'll be the judge of my own situation thanks and I suspect there are many others like me who've seen their income and standard of living actually decrease over the past 12-24 months. Talk about 'I'm Alright Jack'. :roll:

Jul 29, 2010
esmer":p3guq780 said:
X Isle":p3guq780 said:
esmer":p3guq780 said:
X Isle":p3guq780 said:
Yes it does Chris, it has no place in his article.

When did the building of a stand 15-18 months in the future ever have anything to do with the prospects of 11 men on a football pitch over a season?

To give 50% over to negative minority propaganda makes it utter guff as a meaningful article to be taken seriously.
It is a football related matter if it has a negative effect on season ticket sales, and attendances generally, which will impact on our playing budget.

But it won't effect ST sales, it won't effect general attendance so it won't effect the playing budget. Ergo it has no place on a 2013-2014 pre-season summary.

It's agenda-mongering guff masquerading as an honest appraisal of our club. It's not objective, it's pedalling a falsehood by massively overstating a 'split' exists on this. It's more like the "fissure" (not) between a boulder and the slope of Everest on which it sits.
I don't think it is a case of a split (or fissure) it is a question of how many fans (if any) are disenchanted by the lack of ambition evidenced by the proposed capacity of the ground to the extent they will not renew their season ticket. Time will tell.

I don't believe anyone is so stubborn and obtuse as to refuse to renew a season ticket because they feel there is a lack of ambition. In so doing they'd be depriving the club of funds and thus themselves limiting available investment.
If anyone stops their ST this season it'll be down to personal economic difficulties or shifting priorities in this unprecedented extended recession.

You don't pay to have watched the dross of these last few seasons only to flounce off on a minority non football preoccupation just as the results improve.

If you do then frankly disloyalty on such a fatuous whim is a trait Argyle would probably be better off without :wave:

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
He may be right, but I don't think the size of the Grandstand will effect our chances of promotion! The author was doing well until he got to us. At which point, I stopped reading.

N

newquaygreen

X Isle":3k3kwbtk said:
Was all going very well until the grandstand got mentioned, absolutely F**K all to do with next season.

"fissures in the fanbase"?, is there F**K, just a small minority of size obsessive fantasists :facepalm:

To have a pre season review that spends half it's column inches giving air to a minority soapbox over a non-football related matter that won't even open this season is just bollox. Clearly the author is, or is acting as a mouthpiece for, a chippy 'anti'.

Whitewashes over our signings, our unbeaten pre-season and our feelings that a corner has been turned. Utter guff :thumbdown:

Guff, lovely word, not heard that ueds for ages. Point very well made :thumbup:

Apr 30, 2011
X Isle":34bbiopr said:
Was all going very well until the grandstand got mentioned, absolutely F**K all to do with next season.

"fissures in the fanbase"?, is there F**K, just a small minority of size obsessive fantasists :facepalm:

To have a pre season review that spends half it's column inches giving air to a minority soapbox over a non-football related matter that won't even open this season is just bollox. Clearly the author is, or is acting as a mouthpiece for, a chippy 'anti'.

Whitewashes over our signings, our unbeaten pre-season and our feelings that a corner has been turned. Utter guff :thumbdown:

Totally agree, a very poor preview. No reference to signings or recent form. I'm very much sat on the fence with regard to the redevelopment but that is irrelevant really as I dont see how the development will affect the team this season anyway.

Apr 1, 2009
IJN":18dvdzpr said:
I think some people might use the GS as an excuse not to attend, but other than that, it's laughable.

These are people who are genuine about it, they had the option of free STs

Jul 29, 2010
IJN":3b4670u5 said:

This.

The excuse pot got dangerously close to running dry under Hollowords for the 'ambition demanding', 'cart before the horse' non-attending whinge brigade. They need to store up as many excuses as possible in the larder for those 'rainy days' when Argyle are doing really well :roll:

They didn't come and thus the 'built the team and they will come' arguement was blown apart. So what possible confidence can anyone possibly invest in 'build the ground and they will come' line now?

Excuses, excuses excuses. Build me a huge ground and buy me a great team and I'll come Mr. Brent.......but not for long, I'll soon go away again and blame you when it goes wrong.

Well, pitch that on Dragon's Den and see how much investment you get :lol:

Plymouth will get what Plymouth deserves. Like Ian I too once believed we were a sleeping giant but we're not. We're actually narcoleptic, we might wake up occasionally but as quick as we do the excitement brings on the need for another nap.

Oct 24, 2010
IJN":5e5arqx2 said:
Eh???

My memory must have gone then.

Were years 2 and 3 not good?

Loved the CCC, and always new it was a time to enjoy. At least I got that right.
Year 1 was a reasonably comfortable fight against relegation; Year 2 under Pulis we finished in the bottom half playing awful football. In years 3 and 4 we managed to be average (finishing 10th and 12th if memory serves) and the last two years were dire in every sense. On the whole not exactly conducive to building the fan-base.

Apr 1, 2009
X Isle said:
I don't believe anyone is so stubborn and obtuse as to refuse to renew a season ticket because they feel there is a lack of ambition. In so doing they'd be depriving the club of funds and thus themselves limiting available investment.
If anyone stops their ST this season it'll be down to personal economic difficulties or shifting priorities in this unprecedented extended recession.
You can believe or not Smiffy, why should I lie about it? Again I emphasise they were not paying for their tickets - I was, because the recession had already put paid to their ability to do so.

I wouldn't not go because of this issue, but different people have different views. Saves me money though.

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
X Isle":7j1m0nfg said:
IJN":7j1m0nfg said:

This.

The excuse pot got dangerously close to running dry under Hollowords for the 'ambition demanding', 'cart before the horse' non-attending whinge brigade. They need to store up as many excuses as possible in the larder for those 'rainy days' when Argyle are doing really well :roll:

They didn't come and thus the 'built the team and they will come' arguement was blown apart. So what possible confidence can anyone possibly invest in 'build the ground and they will come' line now?

Excuses, excuses excuses. Build me a huge ground and buy me a great team and I'll come Mr. Brent.......but not for long, I'll soon go away again and blame you when it goes wrong.

Well, pitch that on Dragon's Den and see how much investment you get :lol:

Plymouth will get what Plymouth deserves. Like Ian I too once believed we were a sleeping giant but we're not. We're actually narcoleptic, we might wake up occasionally but as quick as we do the excitement brings on the need for another nap.

What did we build for the Plymouth public not to come?

Bottom half second tier football until Holloway came in, 4 months of playoff form and then the manager left, then his side was sold off.

Sturrock was brought in and wasted money on average players. Some good young players, but the likes of Norris, Halmosi and SEB were never seen again.

Most sides before promotion to the Prem don't have huge attendances. Stoke didn't make a case for promotion to the Prem, they just built the capacity and made it happen. So did Reading, Swansea and Brighton.

For some reason because Argyle had an average attendance of merely 14, 000 whilst experiencing top half second tier football, this ought to ignore the fact we would sell out Brent's capacity in ST sales alone if we experienced what Blackpool achieved.

Sep 6, 2006
X Isle":16jqsffk said:
esmer":16jqsffk said:
esmer":16jqsffk said:
Yes it does Chris, it has no place in his article.

When did the building of a stand 15-18 months in the future ever have anything to do with the prospects of 11 men on a football pitch over a season?

To give 50% over to negative minority propaganda makes it utter guff as a meaningful article to be taken seriously.
It is a football related matter if it has a negative effect on season ticket sales, and attendances generally, which will impact on our playing budget.

But it won't effect ST sales, it won't effect general attendance so it won't effect the playing budget. Ergo it has no place on a 2013-2014 pre-season summary.

It's agenda-mongering guff masquerading as an honest appraisal of our club. It's not objective, it's pedalling a falsehood by massively overstating a 'split' exists on this. It's more like the "fissure" (not) between a boulder and the slope of Everest on which it sits.
I don't think it is a case of a split (or fissure) it is a question of how many fans (if any) are disenchanted by the lack of ambition evidenced by the proposed capacity of the ground to the extent they will not renew their season ticket. Time will tell.

You don't pay to have watched the dross of these last few seasons only to flounce off on a minority non football preoccupation just as the results improve.

If you do then frankly disloyalty on such a fatuous whim is a trait Argyle would probably be better off without :wave:

So have you got your season ticket yet then x-isle?