Manager Poll | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Manager Poll

The future of the manager

• Should be relieved of his duties with immediate effect

Votes: 170 56.9%
  • Wait and see what happens v Gillingham on Saturday

Votes: 49 16.4%
  • See how situation lies at Christmas

Votes: 62 20.7%
  • Give until the end of season at least

Votes: 18 6.0%

• Total voters
Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
I really believe you need to be structured about these things – be explicit about your expectations at the beginning & draw clear lines in the sand when you’re in a calm frame of mind. Then you have to stick to those self-imposed rules no matter what and try not to be swayed by the inevitable emotions that usually cause us to make bad decisions. That’s how successful people in all walks of life handle unpredictable & chaotic events – I expect Brent will do the same especially in a field he is not expert in.

At the beginning of the season I reckoned the target should be a minimum of a mid-table finish & the default position should be to give Fletch a full season to achieve that with a serious progress review at Christmas BUT with a caveat of action being taken if there was evidence of dressing room discontent or falling into relegation places. Personally I don’t think that caveat has been triggered yet and as much as I share the frustration and want to lash out, to do something, to do anything – sticking to disciplined decision making when emotions are running high is the best thing to do.

So my brain says wait ‘til Christmas – but I must admit if I heard Fletch had been sacked and we were looking for a new manager then I’m so p****d off right now I’d be excited aswell as nervous about it.

Mar 2, 2008
Tavypilgrim":1b00kng8 said:
John Cooper":1b00kng8 said:
Immediate.
A cancer has to be cut away before it spreads and further and gets worse.

Why do people insist on comparing everything to cancer? :shocked:

I agree. I cringe when I hear people comparing it to this.

Mar 2, 2008
Iggy":2eemddkg said:
Why oh why didn't we sign Gary Johnson when he was available? Right now we would have been well up the league (I have no crystal ball but he has done a bleddy good job with Yeovil) and the crowds would be paying his wages, a bit of success and attendance would be going up not down. Fletch was the penny wise, pound foolish option.
All the fans saying that they would follow the team in the conference I applaud you, however it will be a miracle if we got crowds of 2500 week in week out, grow a pair Brent and do the decent thing, a decent managerial appointment would get the crowds back, keep with Fletch and the dark days of Macauley and crowds of 2500 will be a reality again.

Just like the job he did at Northampton you saying?

P

Paul_Roberts

Last night was the perfect opportunity for Fletcher and the players to show us that Sunday was no more than a blip - an unfortunate one-off that had angered and embarrassed them to the point that they were going to use Burton as the footballing equivalent of a boxing bag. It should have been easy for Fletcher to motivate his players so soon after such an ignominious humiliation on national television.

That we succumbed so meekly tells me all I need to know about Fletcher's ability to motivate, to pick his players up after a bad defeat. And, more worringly, that his players no longer respond to whatever methods he is using.

19th in the league, knocked out of the FA Cup by a Spanish waiter and his mates, five defeats on the spin, gates rapidly falling... it baffles me that some people are refusing to see what's happening before their very eyes.

A

adri_216

green eyed monster":27lzuxu1 said:
Folks, why are we resorting to pathetic name calling?

Fletcher is a nice guy with a lovely wife and kids....

He is not cut out for the managers role here, he needs to go. But please, show a little respect to him as a human being and a former player

Yes, finally I think that his position needs to be carefull considered. However, as the quote says, he seems like a nice bloke deserving of respect. I have lots of admiration for him as a player with his clubs and country and he gave his all when he was a player for us. If he does go, I wish him well in the future. I certainly don't want to be associated with the purile name calling.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
adri_216":tooedqzk said:
green eyed monster":tooedqzk said:

He is not cut out for the managers role here, he needs to go. But please, show a little respect to him as a human being and a former player

Yes, finally I think that his position needs to be carefull considered. However, as the quote says, he seems like a nice bloke deserving of respect. I have lots of admiration for him as a player with his clubs and country and he gave his all when he was a player for us. If he does go, I wish him well in the future. I certainly don't want to be associated with the purile name calling.

Quite. Some of the posts here demean themselves & us collectively as Argyle fans. Frustration & even anger with results is no excuse. He’s been a terrific servant for us through really trying times, was instrumental in keeping us in the league& as player and manager has never given less than 100%.

vibratingspider

Joined 1996
Jam First
Oct 1, 2006
Sorry Fletch, time is up. I applaud him for trying to play an "attractive" brand of football but at this level, it just isn't effective.

Oh, and can we please get someone in to coach our defence on winning a ball in the air, please?

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
He's still here then. Still at least his post match comments made me confident he's all over the problem (not serious).

All I want is something to make me believe in my club. This is getting close to my limit.

Aug 10, 2006
jespafc":2ywbc93r said:
green eyed monster":2ywbc93r said:

Totally agree. It's immature and completely unwarranted. Remember that Fletch has been a loyal servant to this club through some tough times.

Yes, I know things are pretty dire right now, but have some respect.
and also remember that the history books will show he was the worst captain in the clubs history fact.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I can take a defeat but last night was an accumulation of poor decisions and poor performances that tipped me over the edge and wanting a change.
Two incidents late in the Burton game led me to believe that Fletcher isn't good enough.

1: Lennox was sent on a late sub to replace Lowry with Gurrieri moving into the middle from the left, Lennox ran over to the right wing position, in the exact same position as Cowan-Hall. Both players looked at each other, asking "what are you doing here?" and yet Lennox and Cowan-Hall both stayed in the right wing position within five yards of each other for the next five minutes leaving a gaping hope on the left side of midfield.
With just two minutes of injury time left the players sorted it out and Lennox moved over to the left.
Did the coaching staff give Lennox instructions to double up with Cowan-Hall on the right leaving Bhasera exposed on the left? Was it a cunning plan? If it was a mistake or Cowan-Hall refused to move why didn't Fletcher spot it and sort it out?

2: It's already been mentioned but the body language of Fletcher in the last 10 minutes was the one of a defeated man. In fact, he gave up and sat down and when Nelson had a chance to pump the ball forward to Griffiths but instead chose to pass to Blanchard Fletcher held his head in his hands. There was no leadership or inspiration given to the team (or fans) for those last 10 minutes.

For many fans it's difficult to call for Fletcher to be removed from his job because he stood shoulder-to-shoulder with us during 2011 and led the players and staff, either as captain or manager, through some dark days.
He gave up his playing career to concentrate on managing our team so we have the sensitive issue of Fletcher struggling to find a playing job let alone a job as a manager should he be sacked from Home Park.

Perhaps a short-term compromise would be for Fletcher to swallow his pride and accept help from a more experienced coach because as it stands the situation cannot continue. Can we even afford another coach? Can we even afford to sack Fletcher and employ a new manager?

We deserve better.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
PL2 3DQ":3826zwu0 said:
I can take a defeat but last night was an accumulation of poor decisions and poor performances that tipped me over the edge and wanting a change.
Two incidents late in the Burton game led me to believe that Fletcher isn't good enough.

1: Lennox was sent on a late sub to replace Lowry with Gurrieri moving into the middle from the left, Lennox ran over to the right wing position, in the exact same position as Cowan-Hall. Both players looked at each other, asking "what are you doing here?" and yet Lennox and Cowan-Hall both stayed in the right wing position within five yards of each other for the next five minutes leaving a gaping hope on the left side of midfield.
With just two minutes of injury time left the players sorted it out and Lennox moved over to the left.
Did the coaching staff give Lennox instructions to double up with Cowan-Hall on the right leaving Bhasera exposed on the left? Was it a cunning plan? If it was a mistake or Cowan-Hall refused to move why didn't Fletcher spot it and sort it out?

2: It's already been mentioned but the body language of Fletcher in the last 10 minutes was the one of a defeated man. In fact, he gave up and sat down and when Nelson had a chance to pump the ball forward to Griffiths but instead chose to pass to Blanchard Fletcher held his head in his hands. There was no leadership or inspiration given to the team (or fans) for those last 10 minutes.

For many fans it's difficult to call for Fletcher to be removed from his job because he stood shoulder-to-shoulder with us during 2011 and led the players and staff, either as captain or manager, through some dark days.
He gave up his playing career to concentrate on managing our team so we have the sensitive issue of Fletcher struggling to find a playing job let alone a job as a manager should he be sacked from Home Park.

Perhaps a short-term compromise would be for Fletcher to swallow his pride and accept help from a more experienced coach because as it stands the situation cannot continue. Can we even afford another coach? Can we even afford to sack Fletcher and employ a new manager?

We deserve better.

If you count the cost of missing 2000 bums on seats next year if we are in the conference I think the board cannot afford not to. :scarf:

L

Lord Tisdale

Got to give him to at least the end of the season, last season was a great opportunity which was missed when Fletch picked you up well after the debacle of the Scouse knobber on 10 grand a week, now with Barnet coming to hand there must be a better than even chance of the mighty Argyle slipping out through the trap door.

The argument is made that we are still in a higher league position than when Tisdale came on board, that applies for you as well so the problem would appear to be in the perception. Tisdale has had six years, Fletch has had one and a bit, Tisdale has had Perryman and some experienced coaches to lean on, Fletch has had none of that as well as dealing with an even more constrained budget. Watching cack week in and week out is harsh, that's a given, plus there is always the chance of a bounce from any new manager coming in, iirc there was a distinct Fletch bounce, albeit a short one, as always fans should be careful what they wish for.

Your average fans perspective rarely stretches beyond the next 45 minutes, Brent's will probably be nothing short of six years, he will be making big money from the development but there are no positives in the team doing badly and let's not forget that every side in the mix down there will have "football people" involved.

Still, while it lasts there is one upside, last night's result certainly cheered me up no end.

Happy days.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
Now, as much as I respect Fletch for his achievments on off the pitch with Argyle this has all the hallmarks of Sturrock part 2, results are terrible, performances are terrible and far too proud to walk.