Jephcott called up for Wales U21 | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jephcott called up for Wales U21

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Ask yourself one question. Who is consistently supplying Jephcott with good service into the box. The answer is nobody.

Then go and look at his goals. Many from wide areas when he eventually does get good service into the box.

Even in the game against MK Dons, he had chances, when the supply was good from wide areas.

That’s his game. Unfortunately, we judge him on what he can’t do without a good, consistent supply from wide areas.

Sep 6, 2006
Ask yourself one question. Who is consistently supplying Jephcott with good service into the box. The answer is nobody.

Then go and look at his goals. Many from wide areas when he eventually does get good service into the box.

Even in the game against MK Dons, he had chances, when the supply was good from wide areas.

That’s his game. Unfortunately, we judge him on what he can’t do without a good, consistent supply from wide areas.
So we play with 2 wing backs and an attacking style of football. Mayor also is good supplier. I am at a loss to explain this lack if service you talk about. Just not true. I saw plenty of crosses into the box last season with nobody getting on the end of them. If we were talking under Derek Adams system I would get it.
Anyway a decent striker should also be able to make things happen himself not expect everything to be put on a plate.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
So we play with 2 wing backs and an attacking style of football. Mayor also is good supplier. I am at a loss to explain this lack if service you talk about. Just not true. I saw plenty of crosses into the box last season with nobody getting on the end of them. If we were talking under Derek Adams system I would get it.
Anyway a decent striker should also be able to make things happen himself not expect everything to be put on a plate.

According to you. Not to me.

We may play with wing backs but Edwards cuts inside a lot. On the left we just don’t have that wing back who gets to the byline.

Im talking about width. Mayor plays CM. He may drift out to the left but his position is that of central midfield. When he drifts out to the left Argyle get exposed in central midfield.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
May 8, 2011
There must be a reason why Argyle were the lowest goal scorers of the top 9, by a big margin from almost all of the other eight teams.
I always though the lack of goals from set pieces and from the midfielders were the obvious reasons for this, but I see Argyle style of play as possession based and a counter attacking one, resulting in quite a few games last season where we had very few shots on or off target.

Sep 6, 2006

We may play with wing backs but Edwards cuts inside a lot. On the left we just don’t have that wing back who gets to the byline.

Im talking about width. Mayor plays CM. He may drift out to the left but his position is that of central midfield. When he drifts out to the left Argyle get exposed in central midfield.
Again watching a different game to me. Pretty sure Mayor plays on the left when I have seen him. The wing backs don't get to the byline but Mayor often does and they often put in decent crosses especially Grant. But Jephcott won't beat a centre half in the air very often.

Sep 6, 2006
There must be a reason why Argyle were the lowest goal scorers of the top 9, by a big margin from almost all of the other eight teams.
I always though the lack of goals from set pieces and from the midfielders were the obvious reasons for this, but I see Argyle style of play as possession based and a counter attacking one, resulting in quite a few games last season where we had very few shots on or off target.
Yes lack of set piece goals I think and because we have nobody to get on the end of crosses.

The Doctor

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog

I always thought that Byron Moore as the best at putting the ball where Jephcott needed it to score.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff

Totally agree - Jephcott a a cracking natural finisher... he thrives on fast early balls in and it's no surprise that he's clearly our best striker in terms of goals to minutes ratio at the club. Just like Shaun Goater... 'feed the Jeph and he will score!'

Reactions: philevs

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff

Totally agree with this. (y)

Reactions: Greendawe
Oct 5, 2013
He did get two golden chances against MK, and he knows just as well as we do that they should have been stuck away.
But that one game doesn’t make him into a poor finisher. We’ll see how he responds this season, and I’d put my money on him responding well. Will be interesting to see just who SS brings in in the way of attackers and attacking midfielders, if anyone, as that will be an indication of our strategy this season.

Jul 6, 2011
...and yet he's still here...fending off all the bids no doubt.

Unfortunately for Jephers most clubs understand that you need so much more to your game AND there are actually other players out there that can give them the extra that is needed.

Remember this conversation...Jephcott will not play any higher than League 1. In fact, I'll go so far to say that his next club will be a league 2 side at most.
You're a truly great argyle fan...👎

Sep 2, 2008
Yes, I am fan of Argyle. Just not a fan of Jephcott. Massive difference unless you’re one of those people that thinks one man makes a team.

Sep 6, 2006
Yes, I am fan of Argyle. Just not a fan of Jephcott. Massive difference unless you’re one of those people that thinks one man makes a team.
Brian Green always thinks it is forbidden to criticise any Argyle. Chap thinks it's very disloyal.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth

Yes the reason is our form dropped off a cliff at the end of the season. We only scored twice in our last seven games and that skews the stats. Around that time we lost Hardie (top scorer, third top assister), Edwards (fourth top scorer), Camara (fifth top scorer and second top assister) and Grant missed a few games (third top scorer and fourth top assister). Our smaller squad struggled without these players. The other teams in the top 9 have bigger budgets and bigger squads, the latter being something we clearly need to think about this summer.

I know a season is played over 46 games blah blah, but if we had continued scoring at the same rate we had over 39 games, a much larger sample size to assess, we would only be a couple of goals behind the others.

Sep 6, 2006
Yes the reason is our form dropped off a cliff at the end of the season. We only scored twice in our last seven games and that skews the stats. Around that time we lost Hardie (top scorer, third top assister), Edwards (fourth top scorer), Camara (fifth top scorer and second top assister) and Grant missed a few games (third top scorer and fourth top assister). Our smaller squad struggled without these players. The other teams in the top 9 have bigger budgets and bigger squads, the latter being something we clearly need to think about this summer.

I know a season is played over 46 games blah blah, but if we had continued scoring at the same rate we had over 39 games, a much larger sample size to assess, we would only be a couple of goals behind the others.
We also were playing all the top sides in that run of course so probably wouldn't have scored that many anyway.