Jephcott called up for Wales U21 | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jephcott called up for Wales U21

Sep 2, 2008
Gutted to have conceded in the 85th minute. A 0-0 draw against the league leaders would have been a decent result.

Chances were few and far between for Jephcott with the Netherlands having 75% of the possession. 21 shots to Wales's 2 says it all.

At least it should be a nice win against Gibraltar on Tuesday to finish off the campaign. Jephers with a hat trick. :D
Would love to see it but we all know that it isn't going to happen.

He was farmed out to Truro by Lowe and told go and show me why you should be in the first team. He did what Lowe asked and so Lowe had to pull him back. Lowe had no choice really after saying what he did.

Jephers then hits a rich vein of form for whatever reason and all of a sudden he is the latest youngster that is going to make Argyle big bucks. After a while the opposition suss him out and as he can only play one way he is soon found wanting. Lowe persists with him though because he recognises that all strikers go through dry spells but Jephers keeps on falling short.

I've said it before and I've not seen anything to change my view that he will disappear into League 2/non-league obscurity. There is a reason why he shone while at Truro; its his level.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth

He was farmed out to Truro by Lowe and told go and show me why you should be in the first team. He did what Lowe asked and so Lowe had to pull him back. Lowe had no choice really after saying what he did.

Jephers then hits a rich vein of form for whatever reason and all of a sudden he is the latest youngster that is going to make Argyle big bucks. After a while the opposition suss him out and as he can only play one way he is soon found wanting. Lowe persists with him though because he recognises that all strikers go through dry spells but Jephers keeps on falling short.

I've said it before and I've not seen anything to change my view that he will disappear into League 2/non-league obscurity. There is a reason why he shone while at Truro; its his level.
There's a reason why he has scored 37 goals and has 6 assists from 86 starts and 32 sub appearances over the last 3 seasons ( his goals per minute ratio being 1 goal per 195 mins) . He is a good young footballer , who should have a good career playing at League One and above , time will tell.

Sep 2, 2008
After Luke plays his last game for the U21’s on Tuesday (assuming he’s selected), is there anyone that thinks he’ll step up to the senior squad?

Oct 5, 2013

Fortunately, those making the calls about such things see and think about all of a player’s attributes, and have come to the decision that Jephers has a lot that is good about his game.
For me it’s not just his goals and assists tally that counts, it’s his overall contribution to play: some of the passing interchanges he was involved in that led to Argyle goals last season were brilliant.

Aug 5, 2016

Jephcott scored 12 goals this season, 18 the season before, 7 in 14 the season before that when he first come back from Truro.
When he isn’t scoring he is offering good link up play with his back to goal.
Jephcott hasn’t got the pace so he relies on quality service. Where is it in this team, the good crosses and deliveries? If it isn’t there he will struggle - because he is an instinctive one touch finisher.

A Truro level striker won’t score 37 football league goals in 2 and a half seasons. I think you are really underestimating how hard it is to score a goal in professional football. Frank Nouble, Jimmy Spencer, Dom Telford - there’s no shortage of names who struggled to find the net for Argyle. Tyler Harvey scored 5 in 50 at League Two level just to offer some comparison of a non league level player playing above his standard.

The other issue is that this season Hardie has been on fire, Garrick and Ennis are available and offer lots what Jephcott doesn’t. Jephcott has his international football commitments. Lots of rotation going on and not enough consistent runs in the side to judge him on.

To say he is Truro standard is pretty mind boggling. 30 League One goals in two seasons in his early twenties. I’m sure he’ll have plenty of contract offers if we let him go before dropping into non league.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
After Luke plays his last game for the U21’s on Tuesday (assuming he’s selected), is there anyone that thinks he’ll step up to the senior squad
He may , he may not , but if he doesn't , he will be no different to many U21 internationals who don't make it to the full international grade . If he doesn't it won't determine what level of football he is destined for either , at 22 , he is a young developing professional footballer who has already played a considerable number of games and scored plenty of goals at a good level and hopefully will continue to do so at Argyle and help us on our journey ( hopefully ) to the Championship.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
After Luke plays his last game for the U21’s on Tuesday (assuming he’s selected), is there anyone that thinks he’ll step up to the senior squad?

If he hits the ground running next season and bangs in goals ge very well May do but I’ve got a feeling even if he does do well next season he won’t get called up to the senior squad

Oct 5, 2013
Yes, I think he’ll be selected for the senior squad, as he’s an unusual player who offers something different when tactics need to be altered.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Sep 6, 2006
The split opinion on Luke rages on, a couple of years ago the consensus was that he will need time as a young player to develop his game and we as fans should give him some time, we have seen him develop his game and in the right team, with the right system and game time he can be class.

we are very quick to moan, criticise young player but we should look at his skills

he is a finisher end of story, 8 times out of 10 given the chance he will hit the target, the big issue for me is that we don’t play that style which suits Luke’s game, he wants ball to feet in the box to hit first time, an instinct that you can’t buy or train into someone

he is a proven goal scorer who has been a little quieter, however he has the potential to take PAFC to the Championship if we play to his strengths, our current game plan is all about pace and he is not overly blessed in that area

he is so much like Harry Kane in terms of technique, instinct and skill, but even Kane has had to change his game to fit in at Spurs

Feed him and he will score
Definitely watched a different player to me. 'So much like Kane'. That amused me.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
If Luke scores some goals early next season think he’ll get selected just so the senior team can take a look at him.

ngs

Apr 7, 2020
The only similarities I see is they both chuck themselves forward on top of the ball when they get the slightest nudge in the back. Does my head in.

Reactions: EyeOpener
Aug 5, 2016
The only similarities I see is they both chuck themselves forward on top of the ball when they get the slightest nudge in the back. Does my head in.
I suppose it is called ‘buying’ free kicks i.e. set piece opportunities, and considered clever attacking play by many.
I would guess it wouldn’t do your head in if Grant or Houghton whip a ball in and Dan Scarr attacks the back post to put us 1-0 up.
The opposition defender always has the option of not barging into the back of Jephcott when he is about to receive the ball by the way.
What is it about Jephcott’s positioning and timing that he can get the ball under control whilst drawing a foul from a League One quality centre back? Why does an opposition defender feel the need to barge him?
If he is Truro level why is he drawing these mistakes out of football league opponents?

Last edited:
Reactions: philevs
Sep 6, 2006
Did you watch Kane when he broke into the spurs squad? I did and I see very similar movement , eye for goal , the difference spurs played to his strengths , but then sometimes some fans will find anything to moan about
In that case Premier League clubs must surely be queueing up to buy him. Similar to Kane? What's not to like?