Jephcott called up for Wales U21 | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jephcott called up for Wales U21

Oct 5, 2013
Ahhh...that explains things even more...not able to see the full picture.

More focussed on the stats rather that what is materialising in front of your own eyes.

A popular Manager that by some was deemed to be light years ahead of his peers at the time once said, 'We had a good team on paper, unfortunately the game was (is) played on grass'.

Take your eyes off the stats and watch the player. He is slow, cumbersome even, carrying quite a bit of timber, the ball doesn't stick, his first touch is poor, he can't head a ball (he's a striker remember) and he can rarely last 90 mins.
You don’t mention any strong qualities, so do we assume you don’t see any of them?

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Sep 2, 2008
I agree about the misses v MK and some other good chances over the season, but there is a lot to his game that seems to go unnoticed by those who don’t know how to spot it.
Do tell Phil…tbf, he rarely gets caught offside.

Sep 2, 2008
You don’t mention any strong qualities, so do we assume you don’t see any of them?
What 'strong qualities' do you see Phil?

I genuinely am interested as I'm really struggling, other than the one I mentioned of course (rarely caught offside).

Sep 6, 2006

I genuinely am interested as I'm really struggling, other than the one I mentioned of course (rarely caught offside).
So this is a player who was a fundamental part of a team which finished with 80 points last season but you reckon he had no 'strong qualities'. (unnecessary personal comment removed - site admin).

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Oct 5, 2013

Very good at passing interplays, often involved at an early stage in beautiful passing movements leading to goals. Great constructive vision around the box. Often in the right place to knock the ball in. Great work rate. Intelligent player generally. Personally I’ve always seen him long-term as playing just behind the front where he can best use his strengths, and still get forward at the right time.

Sep 2, 2008
He is a one touch finisher. They are quite rare. If he can get other aspects of his game to a reasonable standard then he will be a very valuable player.
Thats a really low bar and not what I would expect a league one player to be aiming for.

In fairness though, I dont think you should set the bar too high because I really dont think he will be anything more than reasonable.

You say he's a one touch finisher but last season showed that is only some of the times.

Goals change games and I often wonder if we would have made the playoffs if he had put away the two 'one touch' sitters* that he missed against MK Dons.

*A gilt edged chance that a professional footballer playing in league one that is renowned for his one touch finishes should have put away.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Last edited:

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
Luke subbed on 64 mins. Had a couple of good attempts from distance, he was holding up as the front man pretty well. 0 v 0 so far.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
Wales lost 1-0

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Gutted to have conceded in the 85th minute. A 0-0 draw against the league leaders would have been a decent result.

Chances were few and far between for Jephcott with the Netherlands having 75% of the possession. 21 shots to Wales's 2 says it all.

At least it should be a nice win against Gibraltar on Tuesday to finish off the campaign. Jephers with a hat trick. :D

Reactions: jmh630
Mar 17, 2022
East of the tamar
The split opinion on Luke rages on, a couple of years ago the consensus was that he will need time as a young player to develop his game and we as fans should give him some time, we have seen him develop his game and in the right team, with the right system and game time he can be class.

we are very quick to moan, criticise young player but we should look at his skills

he is a finisher end of story, 8 times out of 10 given the chance he will hit the target, the big issue for me is that we don’t play that style which suits Luke’s game, he wants ball to feet in the box to hit first time, an instinct that you can’t buy or train into someone

he is a proven goal scorer who has been a little quieter, however he has the potential to take PAFC to the Championship if we play to his strengths, our current game plan is all about pace and he is not overly blessed in that area

he is so much like Harry Kane in terms of technique, instinct and skill, but even Kane has had to change his game to fit in at Spurs

Feed him and he will score

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Well if slow and cumbersome with a poor first touch is the best they can do I could have had 100 Welsh caps!! :LOL:

My wife was slow and cumbersome and she had a Dutch cap, a good first touch tho.