Humble Pie | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Humble Pie

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
I did say it

Always confident Derek would turn around the season

Great manager and we are very lucky to have him at PAFC

The board of directors & Chairman deserve great credit sticking to the guns

Onwards & Upwards!

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
PAFC Norfolk":y7llpv4w said:
Just wish he starts the season on the front foot instead of waiting until December comes and goes.

To be fair I think the Green shoots of recovery started on the 23rd October.. and we actually played well against Barnsley drawing 1-1 away a few weeks before as well.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
nick_PASTIE":36e2mlfv said:
We are still lower than no budget dark arts anti football Wycombe.

#SomeAchievement

I would say we are about where we should be if you take into account other clubs respective finances.

JannerinCardiff

♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
mervyn":39o89wie said:
What I can’t understand with some of you DA moaners is that you act as if DA knowingly and wilfully created two bad starts to the season on purpose. He’s still a young manager, he’s going to continue to make mistakes on the job from time to time, but he’s smart enough to keep learning and make changes. I’m sure he wants success as much as the most ardent fan, so why would he act otherwise? I think he’s a class manager, and class is permanent, form is temporary.

I can think of two things that went against DA which might give some answers to the bad start.. we had the whole defence ripped apart at the start of the season ... 2 loaners Vyner and Matthews went back to their parent clubs, Threlkeld and Bradley decided to leave and Sawyer got injured. Most clubs would struggle to gel a new back 5.

Also not having Home Park available meant it restricted what opposition we could have played in pre-season.

I would hope that this will not be the case this summer..

Sep 30, 2017
The start to the season was slow again, but with a low budget meaning short term contracts and the last-minute bringing in of largely unwanted players or untried youngsters it is understandable. Some work, some don’t and it takes time to gel. I’ll take Ladapo, Canavan and Grant from this season, with an improving Smith-Brown. There have been failures and it took time to find them out, but at this stage we are punching above our weight. Doncaster turned down £2 million for John Marquis - we couldn’t have done that. The team spirit is there, the football is decent, there’s plenty of passion and we’re developing the stadium. Yes, we could be higher in the league, but it’s no disaster and when we are in a position to pay players more then we can make a concerted bid to get into the a Championship.

Aug 5, 2016
up_the_line":1w7fbfok said:
Yeah yeah, scoffing humble pie. I mean whadda genius. It only takes him half a season to work out he should play the attacking format he did at the end of last season. He's by far the best manager on the face of the earth if you like wasting half a season every year and the limit of your ambition is mid table in the third division.
If anything every win just compounds the annoyance that he unnecessarily ballsed up the first 6 months of the season. It could have been a play off campaign but the woeful first 6 months has meant that, for the second year running we have to go on a momental turn around to avoid relegation and anything else is a bonus. I get the impression that a few on here would be happy if that's the pattern every season follows as long as it stays DAFC

I thought the issue was that he had signed a load of dross at the back, no pace, we need Threlkeld and Vyner etc. Not doing too badly now. So easy to kick the lads when they are down, it takes courage from Adams to stick by the likes of Edwards, Canavan, ASB when their heads are down. No respect for the manager in sticking by them and building a team that works out of them? Players on contracts that means they may be around next season too.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
mervyn":3mkbp131 said:
What I can’t understand with some of you DA moaners is that you act as if DA knowingly and wilfully created two bad starts to the season on purpose. He’s still a young manager, he’s going to continue to make mistakes on the job from time to time, but he’s smart enough to keep learning and make changes. I’m sure he wants success as much as the most ardent fan, so why would he act otherwise? I think he’s a class manager, and class is permanent, form is temporary.

This is also what annoys me, as well as the ‘useless’ and ‘clown’ stuff. Football is a game of such incredibly fine margins that it is so, so, so hard to win games on a consistent basis over numerous seasons. Especially if you can’t just sign superior players.

It’s not like a regular workplace where if you do everything you’re supposed to in the correct manner, you will have done a good job. In football, you can get absolutely everything right during the week and your tactics spot on, but still lose 3-0 on a Saturday.

On the thread subject, no way is it time for anyone to gloat but I do really hate that on a Plymouth Argyle website, sticking up for the manager with the third highest win percentage of all time gets you consistently labelled an Adams worshipper or deluded. It’s only the usual suspects I know, but it’s still a bit ridiculous.

Mar 16, 2009
London
nick_PASTIE":2yd453q4 said:
Why did Del stick with Macey soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long?

All seems very odd from the lovely 2019. Well done Leth.

And OMG Taff Moore... Need to I say (Taff) more?

O for every game we had to endure :(

Yes quite nick. You’re soooooooooooooo insightful.

We’d have been hammered yesterday with Matt in goal, right?

Feb 2, 2007
JannerinCardiff":1p13855a said:
nick_PASTIE":1p13855a said:
We are still lower than no budget dark arts anti football Wycombe.

#SomeAchievement

I would say we are about where we should be if you take into account other clubs respective finances.

About at the lower end of what's reasonable on our budget and playing staff but I reckon we are 8-10 places lower than we should be which makes all the differenxe- genuine interest in play off or promotion would make all the difference to budget receiving additional match day crowd income and club shop sales etc.

A mediocre finish to the season won't help next year's budgets either so we will perpetually stay in this cycle unless bigger investment comes in.

Mar 16, 2009
London
oldage":14cjrvci said:
Class manager that nobody else seems to want.A manager who is stubborn,obsessed with statistics and who keeps making the same mistakes.I pay good money to see decent football played for a whole season not half of it.

Confusing post.

If you want guarantees of good football throughout the season you should probably be supporting a club who can buy success.

Try PSG or Man City.

Feb 2, 2007
Justin":1os5s6u6 said:
nick_PASTIE":1os5s6u6 said:
Why did Del stick with Macey soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long?

All seems very odd from the lovely 2019. Well done Leth.

And OMG Taff Moore... Need to I say (Taff) more?

O for every game we had to endure :(

Yes quite nick. You’re soooooooooooooo insightful.

We’d have been hammered yesterday with Matt in goal, right?

I do enjoy counter factuals. We did actually beat Rochdale at their ground with Macey in goal so we probably would have won. We would have lost a number of games since New Year's Day though so would be in the bottom 4 I reckon.

What dooooooooooooooo you think my love?

Jul 6, 2005
YorkshirePilgrim":gzbfkic3 said:
The start to the season was slow again, but with a low budget meaning short term contracts and the last-minute bringing in of largely unwanted players or untried youngsters it is understandable. Some work, some don’t and it takes time to gel. I’ll take Ladapo, Canavan and Grant from this season, with an improving Smith-Brown. There have been failures and it took time to find them out, but at this stage we are punching above our weight. Doncaster turned down £2 million for John Marquis - we couldn’t have done that. The team spirit is there, the football is decent, there’s plenty of passion and we’re developing the stadium. Yes, we could be higher in the league, but it’s no disaster and when we are in a position to pay players more then we can make a concerted bid to get into the a Championship.
Are you serious, a slow start to the season!

After a full 5 months we were deservedly rock bottom and you call it a slow start to the season.

As for player recruitment, Adams is on record as stating that he was happy with who he had signed and happy that he had signed them early in the off season to allow them to settle in. The players were signed on 2-year contracts as were a number from the previous season such as Carey, Wylde and Ainsworth.

It’s Adams preferred way of Managing to constantly re-cycle players every year, so the argument about taking time to get gel is null and void unless you are prepared to accept relegation form up to Christmas and play-off form from January every season.

Aug 5, 2016
Why pick on Macey and Tafari Moore? As if either of those signings put into this new side full of confidence and cohesion would turn us into 4-0 defeats. They were part of a side which had no confidence, low morale, but they weren't the reason for it. Carey contributed very little when we were bottom, why doesn't he get the same dog's abuse?