Humble Pie | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Humble Pie

Feb 2, 2007
Why did Del stick with Macey soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo long?

All seems very odd from the lovely 2019. Well done Leth.

And OMG Taff Moore... Need to I say (Taff) more?

O for every game we had to endure :(

Apr 13, 2006
Plymouth
Obviously a good result today. But there are still issues to deal with, especially at centre back. We need to get the nucleus of the squad nailed down ready for next year asap. Don't disagree with the bonding/fitness pre-season trips but we need to have a good solid line up of friendlies against league opposition not a tour of Westcountry part time teams. You cant change half your squad each year like we have. I think our scouting network needs some serious attention as well. We should have some good contacts abroad especially in Hungary and France but haven't seen any imports for a while now.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Guiri Green":1p3edvcp said:
samjones":1p3edvcp said:
7 pts from the relegation zone and 14th in the league is hardly setting the world alight.

The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing twice but expecting a different outcome.
The way we have started the last 2 seasons has been absolutely appalling

If he stays on lets hope its 3rd time lucky and he has learnt from his MISTAKES.

Still has an awful lot to do to convince me

We're also 7 Points from 8th and 14th in the League on a run of good form. Lost only once since New Years Day.

At least he's trying to convince you.

Fair point and it is a good turn around to get out of the relegation zone after another dreadful start but starting in Dec/Jan when the season begins in August is just too late.
I had high hopes we could actually mount a PROMOTION charge this season but we lost key players and started with an entire new back 5 who were slow and shambolic for 1/2 the season.

If we had last years back 5 of Matthews, Oscar, Bradley, Vyner, Sawyer and the addition of Ladapo I believe we would be at least in the play off places and genuine promotion candidates.

Holding onto key players and our transfer activity this summer will be crucial if we have any ambitions of moving up the pyramid

demportdave

šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
TynanWozGr8":j7tryptu said:
I hope a significant number of the posters on here are now eating a large slice of humble pie after Adams has turned the season around

Heā€™s too good a manager not to have

When he does go letā€™s hope he doesnā€™t get the lacking loyalty poo - the abuse he got was a f1king joke
Today was a good day for all Argyle fans. It was great to see us rack up a few goals, to not be hanging on for a nervous victory for once and to improve our goal difference in the process.

A game that was in balance up to the hour mark, but with Rochdale having the better of the second half, was then turned in our favour by a poor decision from a Referee who probably owes us a favour or two based on his previous performances.

However, Iā€™m not sure that warrants a silly post like this.

Lest we forget it in the euphoria of beating the mighty Dale, we didnā€™t just have a poor start to the season, it was 5 months of struggle from the beginning of August through to the end of December and we went into the New Year bottom of the table; that is far more than a bad start to the season.

For the second season running, we had very poor preparation. A fitness boot camp in Holland in between a succession of Friendlies against Pub teams. We play one friendly against a struggling League 2 side and we get hammered 5-1. A by-product of this preparation is that within a month of the season starting we have 8 first team squad players unavailable through muscle-related injuries. Having signed so many players in the summer and despite a long pre-season together, it then takes Adams more than 5 months to produce a settled side.

On the positive side, our form since the New Year has been automatic promotion form, which is fantastic but also somewhat frustrating in a funny sort of way when you look back on the season as a whole.

If Adams gets the credit for our form since January - and he should - he also has to be responsible for the shambolic pre-season preparation and the numerous very poor performances over the first 5 months of the season as well.

We are slowly edging our way to safety but it is still very tight points-wise with the teams just below us. We have 2 very difficult games coming up and we also have to play Fleetwood and Blackpool away in March. As such, we could go into April still very much involved in a relegation dog-fight.

I think we will stay up, but a season where we were arguing and bickering amongst ourselves as early as mid-September about whether or not we will avoid relegation and whether or not Adams should stay or go is not acceptable. We deserve more, by which I mean solid mid-table with an outside chance of sneaking into the Play-offs.

Managing to stay up in League 1 does not constitute a successful season unless you are Rochdale or Wimbledon.

So if you donā€™t mind, you can leave my slice of humble pie in the fridge for now.

Oct 31, 2015
demportdave":uwyzu171 said:
TynanWozGr8":uwyzu171 said:
I hope a significant number of the posters on here are now eating a large slice of humble pie after Adams has turned the season around

When he does go letā€™s hope he doesnā€™t get the lacking loyalty poo - the abuse he got was a f1king joke
Today was a good day for all Argyle fans. It was great to see us rack up a few goals, to not be hanging on for a nervous victory for once and to improve our goal difference in the process.

A game that was in balance up to the hour mark, but with Rochdale having the better of the second half, was then turned in our favour by a poor decision from a Referee who probably owes us a favour or two based on his previous performances.

Lest we forget it in the euphoria of beating the mighty Dale, we didnā€™t just have a poor start to the season, it was 5 months of struggle from the beginning of August through to the end of December and we went into the New Year bottom of the table; that is far more than a bad start to the season.

For the second season running, we had very poor preparation. A fitness boot camp in Holland in between a succession of Friendlies against Pub teams. We play one friendly against a struggling League 2 side and we get hammered 5-1. A by-product of this preparation is that within a month of the season starting we have 8 first team squad players unavailable through muscle-related injuries. Having signed so many players in the summer and despite a long pre-season together, it then takes Adams more than 5 months to produce a settled side.

On the positive side, our form since the New Year has been automatic promotion form, which is fantastic but also somewhat frustrating in a funny sort of way when you look back on the season as a whole.

If Adams gets the credit for our form since January - and he should - he also has to be responsible for the shambolic pre-season preparation and the numerous very poor performances over the first 5 months of the season as well.

We are slowly edging our way to safety but it is still very tight points-wise with the teams just below us. We have 2 very difficult games coming up and we also have to play Fleetwood and Blackpool away in March. As such, we could go into April still very much involved in a relegation dog-fight.

I think we will stay up, but a season where we were arguing and bickering amongst ourselves as early as mid-September about whether or not we will avoid relegation and whether or not Adams should stay or go is not acceptable. We deserve more, by which I mean solid mid-table with an outside chance of sneaking into the Play-offs.

Managing to stay up in League 1 does not constitute a successful season unless you are Rochdale or Wimbledon.

So if you donā€™t mind, you can leave my slice of humble pie in the fridge for now.

Best post of the week. Hear hear

Feb 2, 2007
demportdave":3m5ksdgp said:
TynanWozGr8":3m5ksdgp said:

Brilliant post son, take a bow.

NLG

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Jan 16, 2006
Why on earth start a thread like this, it just opens the door to discontent and bitterness, what I would call a brexit thread. Better to just celebrate a good win and move on with a positive outlook for the next match.

Aug 5, 2016
Stuart House":bqb23wid said:
No humble pie.

Many of the reasons I Didnā€™t want Adams as manager still exist.

Heā€™s still arrogant, still talks b$&@;)ks, still has way to much control over the whole club.

But if he keeps winning games Iā€™ll tolerate him.

Were you one of the many that demanded Argyle sack Derek Adams and appoint Graham Coughlan?

Aug 5, 2016
samjones":n4ckvzug said:
Guiri Green":n4ckvzug said:
samjones":n4ckvzug said:
7 pts from the relegation zone and 14th in the league is hardly setting the world alight.

The definition of stupidity is doing the same thing twice but expecting a different outcome.
The way we have started the last 2 seasons has been absolutely appalling

If he stays on lets hope its 3rd time lucky and he has learnt from his MISTAKES.

Still has an awful lot to do to convince me

We're also 7 Points from 8th and 14th in the League on a run of good form. Lost only once since New Years Day.

At least he's trying to convince you.

Fair point and it is a good turn around to get out of the relegation zone after another dreadful start but starting in Dec/Jan when the season begins in August is just too late.
I had high hopes we could actually mount a PROMOTION charge this season but we lost key players and started with an entire new back 5 who were slow and shambolic for 1/2 the season.

If we had last years back 5 of Matthews, Oscar, Bradley, Vyner, Sawyer and the addition of Ladapo I believe we would be at least in the play off places and genuine promotion candidates.

Holding onto key players and our transfer activity this summer will be crucial if we have any ambitions of moving up the pyramid

That's one hell of an IF. Matthews, Roos and Vyner are regularly starting in the Championship. Bradley is about to win League One and next season will join them up there. Threlkeld left for a taste of the European scene. They were cracking players and evidently too good for a midtable League One side. Out of all of them it is only Threlkeld who had such a bad season he wamted to come back - the rest are simply too good for where we're at.

up the line

šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Yeah yeah, scoffing humble pie. I mean whadda genius. It only takes him half a season to work out he should play the attacking format he did at the end of last season. He's by far the best manager on the face of the earth if you like wasting half a season every year and the limit of your ambition is mid table in the third division.
If anything every win just compounds the annoyance that he unnecessarily ballsed up the first 6 months of the season. It could have been a play off campaign but the woeful first 6 months has meant that, for the second year running we have to go on a momental turn around to avoid relegation and anything else is a bonus. I get the impression that a few on here would be happy if that's the pattern every season follows as long as it stays DAFC

May 8, 2011
up_the_line":zamsr2kp said:
Yeah yeah, scoffing humble pie. I mean whadda genius. It only takes him half a season to work out he should play the attacking format he did at the end of last season. He's by far the best manager on the face of the earth if you like wasting half a season every year and the limit of your ambition is mid table in the third division.
If anything every win just compounds the annoyance that he unnecessarily ballsed up the first 6 months of the season. It could have been a play off campaign but the woeful first 6 months has meant that, for the second year running we have to go on a momental turn around to avoid relegation and anything else is a bonus. I get the impression that a few on here would be happy if that's the pattern every season follows as long as it stays DAFC

Perhaps the reason the first 6 months were ballsed up as you put it was because a number of first choice players were injured or suffering from illnesses that prevented them from playing at 100%.

Portsmouth are now suffering a dip in results for much the same reason.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Knibbsworth":og3bkga3 said:
Stuart House":og3bkga3 said:
No humble pie.

Many of the reasons I Didnā€™t want Adams as manager still exist.

Heā€™s still arrogant, still talks b$&@;)ks, still has way to much control over the whole club.

But if he keeps winning games Iā€™ll tolerate him.

Were you one of the many that demanded Argyle sack Derek Adams and appoint Graham Coughlan?
....or Keith Hill?

What I canā€™t understand with some of you DA moaners is that you act as if DA knowingly and wilfully created two bad starts to the season on purpose. Heā€™s still a young manager, heā€™s going to continue to make mistakes on the job from time to time, but heā€™s smart enough to keep learning and make changes. Iā€™m sure he wants success as much as the most ardent fan, so why would he act otherwise? I think heā€™s a class manager, and class is permanent, form is temporary.

Jul 12, 2016
Class manager that nobody else seems to want.A manager who is stubborn,obsessed with statistics and who keeps making the same mistakes.I pay good money to see decent football played for a whole season not half of it.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Weird how this was the OPs thought process on a night we'd just won 5-1.

A very good result amongst a very good turnaround but the jury is still out on whether Adams can turn these good December and onward runs into a successful season long campaign.

Yes we've seemingly turned it around again but it's 2 years in a row now we've have to summon a mid-season miracle to get ourselves clear of almost certain relegation.

Enjoy the turnaround but as soon as we guarantee survival, eyes fully fixed on ensuring that start doesn't happen 3 years on the bounce.