How are we going to score enough | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

How are we going to score enough

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Maybe Mikel's early injury has put a spanner in the works- yes we knew what we were getting but is he the cog that is missing?

I think Miller will make a huge difference when he’s back - and the results will prove that that when he plays.

Aug 10, 2006
well two of this seasons games are league games and its very early stages of the season with a new formation so I would say have a bit of patience, and secondly tonight was a cup game that no one really cares about so it doesn't really matter.
maybe ask the same question at the 10 game stage and see how its going?
but this carries on from last season it's not just a couple of games is it, still you will soon have a nice big telly too look at.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
I think Miller will make a huge difference when he’s back - and the results will prove that that when he plays.

Look forward to that time.

January? Which would be concerning if its that far away. Anyone know? - only seen his injury stated as keeping him out for months not weeks.

Jul 28, 2020
Its early to make a call- but it seems to me that we’re not as strong as last season.

Loads of positives- Randell and endacott in particular

The starting front three- very good in my opinion

The reserves- less so

Jephcott can play that no 10 role I think- he showed that pre-season v Bristol city.

Whittaker- will he join that select band of players who did well against Argyle , but less so, for the club ( which includes Nick Chadwick- who scored a lovely goal against Argyle, for Everton).

Time to reshuffle the pack around the edges, I feel- there are still good players available : Cole Stockton, Ruben Rodrigues and perhaps Ryan Broom.

I think we should be making some moves...

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Some of the comments here 🤦🏻‍♂️

The moans about spending money on the long term money makers whilst not on the squad have already started. Forgetting we’ve bought in some quality players.

Our shooting has been woeful and we’ve not put away golden chances, that will change and we will be ok.

Oct 5, 2013
Its early to make a call- but it seems to me that we’re not as strong as last season.

The reserves- less so

Jephcott can play that no 10 role I think- he showed that pre-season v Bristol city.

Whittaker- will he join that select band of players who did well against Argyle , but less so, for the club ( which includes Nick Chadwick- who scored a lovely goal against Argyle, for Everton).

Time to reshuffle the pack around the edges, I feel- there are still good players available : Cole Stockton, Ruben Rodrigues and perhaps Ryan Broom.

Shouldn’t be forgotten that we have Grant, Camara and Bolton missing at the moment, so yes we are short of too many options.
Anyone know when any of them might be back?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
And we’ve all called for a tweak to formation. Thy will take time but sooner or later we will need to stick with something and gel it completely.

We will need time but we also need to learn fast.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth

I disagree.

Jephcott is a poacher and needs to play as part of a two. The added responsibility of holding the ball up and linking play etc takes away from his natural game. I've been saying it for some time now, he is being given too much to do, let him do what he's best at and stop trying to make him a sub-par jack of all trades.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I disagree.

Jephcott is a poacher and needs to play as part of a two. The added responsibility of holding the ball up and linking play etc takes away from his natural game. I've been saying it for some time now, he is being given too much to do, let him do what he's best at and stop trying to make him a sub-par jack of all trades.
100%.

That’s why I think Luke’s time at Argyle is limited.

Reactions: leeroy221

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I'd be worried if we were not creating chances but we are.
In each of the three games played so far we created more chances than the opposition, a total of 47 chances or shots compared to 31 for the opposition.
The problem is that only 13 of those 47 shots were on target and only two goals from 47 attempts and one of them was a penalty.

Whereas the opposition have scored four goals from 8 attempts on target.

It will click soon enough.

Jun 27, 2019
And we’ve all called for a tweak to formation. Thy will take time but sooner or later we will need to stick with something and gel it completely.

We will need time but we also need to learn fast.
Not all of us. Sometimes all it takes is improved personnel or something different to what we've got.

There's no need to panic just yet as it's very early days and it's going to take the new boys some time to gel. The initial signs aren't good, however, especially when you consider we've got a largely unchanged squad and did well last season, but I'm not reaching for the white flag just yet.

Reactions: Mark Pedlar
Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
I don't think there's anything fundamentally wrong. We created a lot of chances in both home games. Yes we didn't finish them but at least we're getting in those positions regularly, which is promising. I'm sure the forwards will find their shooting boots before long.

IPA

Aug 26, 2012
The 'real' capital of Devon
I sincerely hope I'm proved wrong but can't see Saturday's outcome being any difference from last night's tbh.

We will no doubt have plenty of possession again but will probably have no end product whereas Posh will. Football isn't like boxing where you can dominate without delivering a knock out blow and still win on points. If you don't deliver those big punches in football you don't win, simple.

Our scoring record at the end of last season was woeful and ultimately cost us a play off spot and we haven't started very well so far this campaign either. Ten corners at Fleetwood last week to their one but we only managed one goal, and that was from the penalty spot just about sums things up!

Something has gone fundamentally wrong with what we're doing in the final third and there are probably one of two ways of dealing with it.

1. We bite the bullet and bring in a proven striker. Not just one who knows where the net is but who can lead the line properly too. I really can't believe we don't have the resources to prize Stockton away from little old Morecambe as he fits the bill perfectly and at 28 will be in his prime for the next few years.

2. We do what Sturrock mk1 did and work on getting goals from throughout the team. For me our return from set pieces in particular is very poor despite having some gifted players and big burley lads in the squad. Maybe it's something the coaching staff are already working on in training but I haven't seen much evidence of that in the last 5 months.

The worry for me is, if we don't solve this issue soon we could find ourselves in a relegation scrap and we all know that once you get into one they're very difficult to escape. Over nearly fifty years of following Argyle I've seen too many relegations already and some of those have followed a season where we came close to promotion.

Hopefully, I like many others are pressing the panic button but experience tells me otherwise. We need to act now to nip this issue in the bud in my humble opinion. I really don't want fourth division football at HP again, especially if the six fingered crew up the road stay up!

Apr 1, 2009

The reserves- less so

Various people still muttering about Broom. Not sure that he brings anything that's going to provide a fundamental change. He'll run around, he'll work hard, he'd be an additional squad option, but beyond that? He's not an overtly physical presence, he doesn't create something out of nothing, he doesn't score many goals. Where would he fit into the "new formation"? As with Camara, I'm not sure that he does.

Argyle fans have always liked a workhorse - someone who's always seen to be trying their hardest. I'm not interested in going back to the argument over whether Broom should have been sidelined in favour of Mayor, but looking forward, would he make a significant difference? If we were to add (which I don't think we will), it's got to be someone who makes a real difference in an area where we are weak, and I'm unconvinced that is Ryan Broom.

Oct 5, 2013
Hardie and Jephcott is a partnership that works and we have the stats to prove it (32 goals between them last season), but the manager appears to have completely abandoned it this season - which at present surprises me a lot. Hardie also clearly has a good understanding with Jephers and plays best with him on the pitch, so not playing Jephers has a double negative effect (despite what his detractors say). I hope it’s not that the manager is holding his misses against MK Dons against him.....