Fleetwood v Argyle Match Thread | Page 22 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fleetwood v Argyle Match Thread

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
The owner Andy Pilley bankrolls the club through loans.
At the last accounts for Fleetwood they made losses of £20m and owe their owner £21m.

Last season Fleetwood had the second lowest average attendance in L1 at 3,228, nearly 10, 000 less than us.
I read somewhere that his Utilities Company rents the offices at the ground from the Football Club for his Company and might also offset the FC losses against his Utilities Co...good tax planning maybe

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
The game has gone- it is what we learn from it that's important - if we don't learn from it than that will be rather concerning

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
It's been said on a thread on here already (before yesterday's disappointment) and agreed with by me, but, love him or hate him, Hardie isn’t a perhaps the ideal option up front if you want the ball to stick there.

Ennis may be an alternative but we really need a Mickey Evans type to take a buffeting from the opposition win free kicks and link up with players as we build attacks. Ryan's strength is using his pace against back lines.

Seems we are, after a lack of goals in last season's run in, trying to get more goals from the midfield and other areas, but, unless Whittaker proves adept in the lone striker role I am not convinced the new shape can be as productive as was hoped.

Think the line-up for Wednesday will indicate if there is any rethink on the current approach or whether we maintain the approach but try different personnel. Having watched the manager's interview he rightly seemed unhappy with yesterday's showing.

Reactions: Drake
Jul 12, 2016
We can convincingly beat a team just down from the championship and expecting a return and then lose to a team expected to finish 22nd in the league.

The mind boggles and it frustrating to see similar weaknesses from last season creep into our game so early this one.

we really need to sort out our Achilles heel of the high press on our CB,s and the physicality from some teams in the league.

Even from yesterdays I can see Nigel coming into the mix and Ennis having a start. We need Grant back asap too.
Bring Ennis back? What’s the point?

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Bring Ennis back? What’s the point?
I rate Hardie and consider him No1 but he’s not a lone striker. He’s best with space and time to run in behind.

I think Ennis is better suited for receiving the ball and bringing others into play.

Our CF aren’t going to be scoring loads. It’s almost a foil to bring in the wide players and midfielder players.

Ennis has more upper body strength and my feeling is he can hold that ball for a second or 2 longer to lay it off

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
I am beginning to get the impression that Pan is not exactly flavour of the month.
To me it simply says they still expect him to be off by the end of the month. No point building him into the team - where he might well improve things - if you then have to reassemble it when he goes.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I am beginning to get the impression that Pan is not exactly flavour of the month.

I still think he’ll be sold in this window, clubs who haven’t done much business so far will panic and offer something.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
I only have seen the SKY highlights but from my observation, for their first goal nobody was marking the guy who took the ball on the right flank to cross it into argyle's danger zone. As for the second goal Argyles defending in their right back zone was 'powder-puff'. The guy on the left flank was briefly held up by 2 defenders but nevertheless he fought, retrieved the ball in order cross for their winning goal. Poor defending, it appeared to me.

May 8, 2011
At the time of writing ( 7 August) we have just over 3 weeks to the end of the transfer window. I’m hoping that we will see some action in that time.

I think we need to leave Ryan Law at Gillingham for the season . There’s a good player there in my opinion - and if he gets 30 games or more at the Gills then I think we’ll see I very different player return to us, next summer. Reportedly, he’s doing very well at Gills- and I’m happy to hear that. The issue with him is certainly not ability, but confidence and as other people have said decision making at times ( that’s presuming of course that Ryan decides to rejoin us and not remain at Gills at the end of his contract- and I certainly hope he does).

I have a hunch (no more than a sixth sense, if you like) that Panutche may leave before the window closes. This would be a shame - but we have to accept that if players develop at Argyle ( as panutche has, in my opinion) they may well want to move on. Long term this is probably a good thing for the club- if we get a repution for progressing young player’s careers. I also have a hunch that we may well see a surprise departure ( to make 2 departures in total)- can’t quite put my finger on who that might be, but we’ll wait and see if I’m right.

As far as “incomings” are concerned I would like to see three in- all attacking players.

The number one target still needs to be a tall powerful centre forward in my opinion. I was dissapointed to read that Kion Etete has moved to Cardiff- felt he would have fitted the profile of what we need. Cole Stockton of morecombe is in the last year of his contract. He would fit the bill- or someone similar.

Tall centre forwards do not imply “long ball” football in my opinion.But we need to “mix it up” at times because we won’t be able to play passing football all the time, opponents, weather conditions and poor pitches will stop us being able to use that style at times. What we need is someone who can play long ball AND passing football. They do exist- albeit they may only be slightly less of a rarity than the dodo. Sean McCarthy was probably the best example in my time watching Argyle , in his first spell with the club ( not second spell) after Ken Brown signed him. He was a very good player for the club - before his move to Oldham ( who were thin in div 1- now premiership).

I would also like to see us go on for a player capable of challenging our two number 10s - somebody like Ruben Rodrigues at Notts County.

I see Connor grant moving more into midfield this season, so I think we should be in the market for a LWB ( possibly on loan) to go straight into the side, while Mikel miller is out...
At the recent Senior Greens meeting the CEO said the playing budget is 20% higher this year. At the present time the playing squad is no bigger than last year, we don’t have a reserve/development side so is there is a war chest if things go wrong or are the players being payed 20% more.

Reactions: Railway sleeper

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
My fag packet maths suggest that 20% equates to £12-15k extra a week which is pretty substantial.

I know the loan signings are going to heavily impact our budget. Let’s accept that we are paying 100% wages for each loan, £3k worst case… that then covers our extra 20% budget

I think we still have a player wage left over in there, presumably George Coopers wage now he’s moved on.

Devizes Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Feb 8, 2016
Perhaps we just have to accept that we overachieved last season and will have to do so again and that we cant compete with sides with much bigger budgets and teams that beat us up physically again and again

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
After listening to the game yesterday on radio, I could only bear to watch the highlights this morning. There's a common theme with the more physical direct teams like Fleetwood, Wycombe etc. Others have said this often, they don't try to play through us, they play early long diagonals over the top of our wing backs, and find the space behind. They make sure there's a player up to receive it. This is the problem with a 3 atb system with these teams. Schuey might need to go with a back 4, or tactically maybe there's another solution? But to me, this is the fundamental issue that hasn't been addressed with either formation. That said, the 2nd goal was very disappointing, the player runs the length of the touchline unapposed! and Houghton twice didn't get tight enough to make a challenge, or just take him out, and where was Mumba?. coyg
Mumba was replaced by Houghton in the 74th minute, so that's a pretty decent reason for not helping defend the second goal?😄