Fleetwood v Argyle Match Thread | Page 21 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Fleetwood v Argyle Match Thread

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
What was that? Did he try for a back heel or some sort of fancy flick?

Or did he just absolutely fluff his chance

last 6 words.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
What's to say if we had stopped Fleetwood's 2nd goal at the source of the attack- this game would have ended 1-1 but because of poor decision making we had no choice but to have all hands on the pump to try & get the equaliser at the death

Jannerz

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 30, 2022
After listening to the game yesterday on radio, I could only bear to watch the highlights this morning. There's a common theme with the more physical direct teams like Fleetwood, Wycombe etc. Others have said this often, they don't try to play through us, they play early long diagonals over the top of our wing backs, and find the space behind. They make sure there's a player up to receive it. This is the problem with a 3 atb system with these teams. Schuey might need to go with a back 4, or tactically maybe there's another solution? But to me, this is the fundamental issue that hasn't been addressed with either formation. That said, the 2nd goal was very disappointing, the player runs the length of the touchline unapposed! and Houghton twice didn't get tight enough to make a challenge, or just take him out, and where was Mumba?. coyg

Last edited:
Jul 28, 2020
As I’ve said previously- these are the sort of games we need to be collecting 3 points from, if the goal is ( and it certainly should be, in my opinion) to reach the play-offs, or higher. So there’s no way of dressing up what a dissapointing result this was- and I’m pleased to see that no one at Argyle appears to be doing that.

The result is totally against my expectations- because to me this current Argyle side has a lot of similarities to Ian Holloway’s div 1 ( now championship ) high flyers who had an outstanding away record c/o quick and skilful players up front, and inviting teams onto us and then hitting very hard and fast on the break. The tactic worked- and the same tactic should work away from home for Argyle this season, because of the players that we have in the team and squad.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
We can convincingly beat a team just down from the championship and expecting a return and then lose to a team expected to finish 22nd in the league.

The mind boggles and it frustrating to see similar weaknesses from last season creep into our game so early this one.

we really need to sort out our Achilles heel of the high press on our CB,s and the physicality from some teams in the league.

Even from yesterdays I can see Nigel coming into the mix and Ennis having a start. We need Grant back asap too.

Reactions: Karting1234

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I’m not that impressed with Whittaker so far tbh. Hope to see more from him.

The only bit of recruitment that I haven’t been sure about. We already have three young forwards, I don’t really see why we needed another. He may come good, I hope he does, but I wanted to see us sign someone with a little more experience and a little more strength.

Reactions: Railway sleeper

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
The only bit of recruitment that I haven’t been sure about. We already have three young forwards, I don’t really see why we needed another. He may come good, I hope he does, but I wanted to see us sign someone with a little more experience and a little more strength.

We were all expecting that older, bruiser type CF. An near end of career championship CF looking for 1 or 2 more seasons.

Not necessarily a starter but someone who can come on and offer some steel up the pitch.

I still think we need that type and hopefully can still we can still achieve getting someone in because it’s a must for 15-20% of matches.

We’ve been a little naive in my opinion

Reactions: Drake
Jul 28, 2020
At the time of writing ( 7 August) we have just over 3 weeks to the end of the transfer window. I’m hoping that we will see some action in that time.

I think we need to leave Ryan Law at Gillingham for the season . There’s a good player there in my opinion - and if he gets 30 games or more at the Gills then I think we’ll see I very different player return to us, next summer. Reportedly, he’s doing very well at Gills- and I’m happy to hear that. The issue with him is certainly not ability, but confidence and as other people have said decision making at times ( that’s presuming of course that Ryan decides to rejoin us and not remain at Gills at the end of his contract- and I certainly hope he does).

I have a hunch (no more than a sixth sense, if you like) that Panutche may leave before the window closes. This would be a shame - but we have to accept that if players develop at Argyle ( as panutche has, in my opinion) they may well want to move on. Long term this is probably a good thing for the club- if we get a repution for progressing young player’s careers. I also have a hunch that we may well see a surprise departure ( to make 2 departures in total)- can’t quite put my finger on who that might be, but we’ll wait and see if I’m right.

As far as “incomings” are concerned I would like to see three in- all attacking players.

The number one target still needs to be a tall powerful centre forward in my opinion. I was dissapointed to read that Kion Etete has moved to Cardiff- felt he would have fitted the profile of what we need. Cole Stockton of morecombe is in the last year of his contract. He would fit the bill- or someone similar.

Tall centre forwards do not imply “long ball” football in my opinion.But we need to “mix it up” at times because we won’t be able to play passing football all the time, opponents, weather conditions and poor pitches will stop us being able to use that style at times. What we need is someone who can play long ball AND passing football. They do exist- albeit they may only be slightly less of a rarity than the dodo. Sean McCarthy was probably the best example in my time watching Argyle , in his first spell with the club ( not second spell) after Ken Brown signed him. He was a very good player for the club - before his move to Oldham ( who were thin in div 1- now premiership).

I would also like to see us go on for a player capable of challenging our two number 10s - somebody like Ruben Rodrigues at Notts County.

I see Connor grant moving more into midfield this season, so I think we should be in the market for a LWB ( possibly on loan) to go straight into the side, while Mikel miller is out...

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
I too was confident we would get a result yesterday.

But you can’t defend like we did on that second goal. That’s relegation defending. It’s appalling. We see more of that type of defending this season and we are going to struggle to win games. It’s up there with the defending of two years ago or when we got relegated under Adams.

No wonder Schumacher was angry. Edwards, Houghton (twice) and Wilson all had chances to defend the situation.

If you watch the first goal of theirs it’s initially a but unlucky. Mumba challenges and the ball breaks for them. Then Gillesphey gets aggressive to win the ball. Which if you watch him that why sometimes teams get behind us on that side because he gets sucked into winning the ball instead of dropping off a little. That’s just his style of defending.

Where lm surprised it went wrong yesterday is that we played more their style than ours. They were searching for the long ball yesterday over the top of us. It worked well for them. But for some reason, as Schumacher pointed out, we then followed their pattern of play. That to me was the disappointing part. That we need to impose our style on other teams and not vice versa.

Last edited:

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
So how does a club like Fleetwood have a bigger wage budget than us?

The owner Andy Pilley bankrolls the club through loans.
At the last accounts for Fleetwood they made losses of £20m and owe their owner £21m.

Last season Fleetwood had the second lowest average attendance in L1 at 3,228, nearly 10, 000 less than us.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Why would anyone do that for a club like Fleetwood? It's crazy.

Mind you, perhaps a good way of pushing money through if you know what I mean.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Who is one of our best ball winners? Camara.

Argyle lost the 50 / 50 duels yesterday Schumacher said. Maybe if Camara stays, we need to think about a midfield of Butcher and Camara.

Maybe we need more ball winners in the team with these physical encounters away from home.