Fleetwood v Argyle Match Thread | Page 20 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Fleetwood v Argyle Match Thread

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Second goal was Sunday league
Some stupid Yellow Cards dished out but Houghton getting turned over twice during the build up was frustrating. If ever there was a time to take one for the team that was it and yes I know hindsight is a wonderful thing! Ask Peter Reid how he felt about allowing Maradona to skip past him in 86. Small moments. Talking of which was there a handball from one of the corners at the end? The players seemed to think so.

Aug 8, 2013
A few thoughts after a night sleeping on it:
Mumba is a potent threat going forward, but got
roasted in defence; an unaffordable luxury in away games ?
Randell was again the most composed member of the team,
and it was between him and Butcher for my MoM;
I know it's not normally done to substitute defenders, but Scarr
was looking exhausted late on; which brings me to....
Harrison got away with murder. A series of late challenges, and using
his body to buy free kicks, but no card; which made our flurry of
yellows for first time offences particularly galling;
the only decent pass Hardie got all afternoon was when someone
tossed him the ball for the penalty;
not too impressed with Whittington yet, but let's give him time;
we could have done with Camara today.
Bring on Peterborough.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
My 2 worries that we’re evident from yesterdays game and one that other teams will exploit are:

Physicality is something we can’t deal with very well

A high press and generally not allowing us much time on the ball results in us lumping balls forward in panic and forfeiting possession back to the opposition.

Both points bringing us right back round to that 4th CF needing to be a physical hold up player.

Mark Smith

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
I’m not an expert at spotting this kind of thing in live games, needing the MOTD arrows and circles to really understand what is going on, but yesterday it seemed to me that, especially in the second half, we were playing the same formation but with different tactics. There were more hopeful long balls, some of them as a result of us being closed down quickly at the back, without the time to play it out as we like to do.

Nor am I seeing much evidence of this much-touted Plan B, where we pull two back when defending - or perhaps it is just that we are not getting back quickly enough to present a well organised defence.

Early days, but so far we seem to be a decent team playing cultured football when we are given time, but still rather disorganised when the other team is in our face.

May 22, 2006
Fleetwood were strong at the back, especially their central defenders. Whiitaker’s main tactic seemed to be to take five players on. He did well against the first three but then hit a brick wall. Hardie started well but they soon got the measure of him. Azaz resorted to long range shots. Ennis can turn a man but there was nobody to link up with. Mumba offered the most threat attacking down the wing but had to be subbed before he got sent off.

All very frustrating but some credit to Fleetwood for being well organised.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Yesterday we were swamped every time we had the ball- how many times did we hear our player was surrounded by 2 or 3 Fleetwood players it was like treading water for 90 plus minutes

Physical teams love playing us- for all our cultured football we are one gibbering wreck when we a faced up close & personal with a 6 ft plus brute who knows how easy it is to get the ball back

We like to play our way out from the back but when the team you are facing are constantly in your face & winning the battle every time you know it is going to be a very long afternoon

Playing pretty football is all well & good but not all the teams we face play that way

Schuey would have had plenty to think about on the coach journey home - maybe he will want to adapt playing styles & tactics when we face the other physical teams in this league

If he chooses not to - i fear each physical team we play will be rinse, repeat & the pointage from these games will be very low

Reactions: Andy B.
Oct 15, 2017
Do people remember the MK Dons discussion we had about Houghton about his sending off. How he got himself in bad defensive situations. I never thought he is great defensively as a CDM.

Well he is a perfect example. Allows a player to get past him via touchline. He gets back. He is then in right back position. Again it’s too easy for a player to beat him. Twice he is beaten that allows them to get in dangerous situations.

And people want us to play one CDM with him in that position.

I thought he was poor towards the end of last season.

Swaz

♣️ PASALB Member
Jan 25, 2011
bishops stortford
Always good to have the post match analysis but we're only a couple of matches in. Have always felt each season to lets see where we are after the first 10 games, say late September/early October, to analyse how we've really started.

Reactions: J Y Kelly
Jul 12, 2016
When we analyse players before they join us do we look at their physicality? We sign injury prone players but what about their “steel”.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Just watched the highlights. Their first is a good finish. The second though is dreadful from a defensive point of view.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2022
I didn't think we were as bad as some of the comments on here. Was always going to be difficult against the way Fleetwood play - long balls, lots of 50/50 battles in the air and on the ground, aggressive tackling etc. Difficult to get into your rhythym against that. Saying that, I thought our possesion at times was poor. Mumba gave the ball away cheaply at least 3 or 4 times. Mayor similarly overhit or underhit several passes in key attacking phases. The main thing that disappointed me is that whilst we have a habit of rolling it out from Cooper to the defenders, I thought we employed this far too often in this type of game, as Fleetwood were clearly putting us under immediate pressure. There were too many aimless balls from Gillesphey and Wilson which were just punted down the field. We needed to try play into Randall's or Butcher's feet a bit more and work getting higher up the pitch that way, but it was the same old tactic over and over again. Roll the ball out to Gillesphey or Wilson, pass it side to side and then launch it.

Last edited:
Reactions: JannerinCardiff

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Yesterday we were swamped every time we had the ball- how many times did we hear our player was surrounded by 2 or 3 Fleetwood players it was like treading water for 90 plus minutes

Physical teams love playing us- for all our cultured football we are one gibbering wreck when we a faced up close & personal with a 6 ft plus brute who knows how easy it is to get the ball back

We like to play our way out from the back but when the team you are facing are constantly in your face & winning the battle every time you know it is going to be a very long afternoon

Playing pretty football is all well & good but not all the teams we face play that way

Schuey would have had plenty to think about on the coach journey home - maybe he will want to adapt playing styles & tactics when we face the other physical teams in this league

If he chooses not to - i fear each physical team we play will be rinse, repeat & the pointage from these games will be very low

It could be argued that everyone knows who the physical teams are, the coaching staff would definitely know, so there should already be a plan in place to combat the robust tactics, unless the plan is to out-football them.

Last season against the so-called physical teams of Wycombe, Fleetwood, Lincoln and Cambridge (there could be others) we didn't win any of the 8 games played against them and picked up 4 points from a possible 24.

It's still early days and I believe Peterborough and Charlton do like to play football rather than be physical and we usually do well against these type of teams.

Reactions: Devizes Green

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I know he’s a goalkeeper but Cooper really should have equalised at the death. That’s a sitter.