Brief synopsis | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief synopsis

• Thread starter I'mArgyleinDubai
  • Start date
Mar 14, 2009
Just back.

Lots of effort and commitment.

There are some good things that l came away thinking that's a positive. However, the defence is a major concern.

Firstly, the good stuff. Macey was outstanding. Some of the second half saves he made were top notch. Ladapo had another decent game. Our team expect him to run the channels for fruitless balls but he never gives up. Has a touch of pace and skill about him that makes me feel he will be a stand out favourite.

I thought Riley did well until he came off. The problem he had was when Rovers moved the ball out wide and he often had a 2v1 situation.

In the second half Joel Grant came on and the width he then gave Argyle transformed us. He ran down the touch line and caused Rovers real problems. We had several good chances and should have scored.

Now lm afraid the bad stuff. If your gonna do a pre-match warm up with quick thinking passing then why are we continually hoofing the ball down the channel expecting for Ladapo to produce miracles from scraps.

The centre halves weren't too bad. However, our full backs are tucked inside so much making us narrow that Rovers, especially for first 20 mins of second half, just constantly kept getting in behind us. Tactically we are so narrow and easy to get around the sides of us that any team with a touch of width can slam cross after cross in with ease.

One thing Argyle could learn is how their wide players seem to play in pairs. Often creating width by one coming short and there other going beyond him. Argyle often hit aimless balls down the sides. The other thing they could learn is actually putting a player in a position that suits it. Poor Conor Grant. What's does he do? People say. He is so weak. Often getting pletters from the Green Army. However. He is a CM and not a LM. It's Adams who keeps picking him and playing him in a alien position. It's Adams causing the imbalance of the team. Conor Grant simply doesn't have the pace or trickery to be a wide midfielder. Unfortunately, you can see its eating away at his confidence.

Carey. Sorry but the guy is out of form. Someone else should now be getting a chance. Lameiras for me. Yet when your playing poorly and the manager keeps picking you then you have to wonder is he untouchable? Today his decision making let him down and then often his execution failing him.

If your a fan of Adams then this was a typical Adams type display. Backs to the wall, resolute, rode our luck but had a spell in the game where we could of snatched it. Yet the vulnerability is there for all to see when teams attack us. This wasn't a very good Rovers side. There best chance of winning was the space Argyle leaving them in wide areas. Fortunately, they all too often couldn't pick out a composed final pass. When they did Macey was there to keep them at bay.

It was a better performance than what we seen in recent weeks but there is a lot to sort out with our team. If he keeps playing C Grant at LM then the team's imbalance will cause us a lot of issues in the games ahead.

Sep 6, 2006
Don't_Panic":l2tc6cdj said:
I'mArgyleinDubai":l2tc6cdj said:
Balham_Green":l2tc6cdj said:
I'mArgyleinDubai":l2tc6cdj said:
Much better from Argyle. Entertaining game, which we probably just shaded and had a golden opportunity to win after good work from Ladapo to set up Sarcevic. We looked MUCH more solid. Signs that we're finding out what our best team is. Hopefully, this is the turning point.

Macey 9- Probably our MOM. Made some really important stops and looked confident.

Sawyer 7- Solid. It goes unnoticed, but he makes positioning and distribution look easy. It's noticeable when our other full-backs play.

Riley 4- Was getting skinned before being taken off

Canavan 7- Had a good game, won his aerial battles and defended well.

Edwards 7- The same

Songo'o 6 - Defensively strong as usual, works so hard, but poor distribution

Ness 7 - A reliable worker in the middle. Neat and tidy.

Sarcevic 7 - Our creative spark. Lots of good pressing high up the pitch, but missed a sitter.

C Grant 5 - Lively first half. Went missing 2nd before being taken off.

Carey 6 - Another off day, but moments of magic worth having him on the pitch for.

Ladapo 8 - Did a brilliant job up on his own. Ran in behind, held the ball up well and brought others into the game. Will have lots of bruises this eve from being battered and fought hard.

Joel Grant 8- Came on and made a big impact on the game. Beat his man a number of times, gave us an outlet and created some good openings.

'Entertaining game'!!!!! Blimey mate you need to get out more. I know you live in a desert but....

Strange comment about 'getting out more' from a fella who regularly picks arguments on a fans forum :lol:

That about sums him up, spent his day on here picking fault with anyone who isn’t negative & trying to make everyone feel as miserable as he does & for some reason feels the need to judge someone on THEIR enjoyment of a game, Mr dull & arrogant all in one, a real party animal.

Anything to add about the actual football mate or just here for a confrontation. We are bottom of the League playing badly and again looked poor today. A lot of people who care are miserable with regard to that I would think. Don't need any help from me. But the idea that that game was entertaining was rso ridiculous.

Oct 11, 2014
At this moment a clean sheet is a step in the right direction. Shows the defence is being worked on to become more resilient. Now work on the midfield play can happen and results should start to improve

May 16, 2016
Balham_Green":1mkp7vcm said:
Don't_Panic":1mkp7vcm said:
I'mArgyleinDubai":1mkp7vcm said:
Balham_Green":1mkp7vcm said:
I'mArgyleinDubai":1mkp7vcm said:
Much better from Argyle. Entertaining game, which we probably just shaded and had a golden opportunity to win after good work from Ladapo to set up Sarcevic. We looked MUCH more solid. Signs that we're finding out what our best team is. Hopefully, this is the turning point.

Macey 9- Probably our MOM. Made some really important stops and looked confident.

Sawyer 7- Solid. It goes unnoticed, but he makes positioning and distribution look easy. It's noticeable when our other full-backs play.

Riley 4- Was getting skinned before being taken off

Canavan 7- Had a good game, won his aerial battles and defended well.

Edwards 7- The same

Songo'o 6 - Defensively strong as usual, works so hard, but poor distribution

Ness 7 - A reliable worker in the middle. Neat and tidy.

Sarcevic 7 - Our creative spark. Lots of good pressing high up the pitch, but missed a sitter.

C Grant 5 - Lively first half. Went missing 2nd before being taken off.

Carey 6 - Another off day, but moments of magic worth having him on the pitch for.

Ladapo 8 - Did a brilliant job up on his own. Ran in behind, held the ball up well and brought others into the game. Will have lots of bruises this eve from being battered and fought hard.

Joel Grant 8- Came on and made a big impact on the game. Beat his man a number of times, gave us an outlet and created some good openings.

'Entertaining game'!!!!! Blimey mate you need to get out more. I know you live in a desert but....

Strange comment about 'getting out more' from a fella who regularly picks arguments on a fans forum :lol:

That about sums him up, spent his day on here picking fault with anyone who isn’t negative & trying to make everyone feel as miserable as he does & for some reason feels the need to judge someone on THEIR enjoyment of a game, Mr dull & arrogant all in one, a real party animal.

Anything to add about the actual football mate or just here for a confrontation. We are bottom of the League playing badly and again looked poor today. A lot of people who care are miserable with regard to that I would think. Don't need any help from me. But the idea that that game was entertaining was rso ridiculous.

Easy for you to say in those shoes.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
I think that there will be goals in this match,,,Sean Mac....BBC Radio match day co commentator...

Feb 2, 2007
oddball":2k3k110v said:
I think that there will be goals in this match,,,Sean Mac....BBC Radio match day co commentator...

Can’t have done any research. Lazy cliche commentary. Why don’t they get Luggy on? What’s Cocko doing? Can’t Friio and Larrieu come back as manager duet?

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Rovers had lost their last 3 home games in the league yet we still failed to beat them because of DA's persistence with negative tactics.

It was only when Joel Grant came on did we have any attacking intent ??????

Sometimes attack is the best form of defence and when you have a team that is better offensively than defensively we should not employ such negative tactics handing the initiative to the opposing team from the off.

Conor Grant is not a left midfielder and offers NOTHING in that position. we are so slow and deliberate in midfield that when Carey isn't firing on all four cylinders we are nothing and easily nullified.

Joel Grant has to start for me and DA has to decide who his preferred CM's are.
Ness, C Grant and Sarcevic were not at the races today against a poor Rovers team. Songo tries but can't even play a simple pass.

The only new players I rate are Ladapo and ASB ( dropped today ? ). Just because the others are so bad Sawyer needs to play LCB

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I’ll probably get shot down for this, but Taylor is a smarter, more effective player than Ladapo, but Argyle fans just love a player who runs a lot.

IPA

Aug 26, 2012
The 'real' capital of Devon
Taylor is by far the better player imo.

When he's in top form he's a Championship player but he's a bit rusty atm from his injury lay off and lack of pre season.

He's not going to shake off that rust and get back into top form by sitting on the bench.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
I love Freddy but as you say Taylor is the real deal.

Feb 2, 2007
Said it on many a thread since the Wycombe game. Ladapo is a more enthusiastic Jervis in that CF position, but he isn’t a persistent shaper. Taylor is a disciplined physical presence prepared to do the hard yards and maintain the shape for the inside forwards (when we attack) to exploit some space. He gave away a harsh pen against Southend but led the line well in a poor team performance but hasn’t started since. Unless he’s not match fit, i don’t understand why.

Ladapo is a great Plan B, the best we have had for several years but Taylor is the only way Derek’s current formation becomes effective, until that component is firing, we are trucked.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
nick_PASTIE":23jbiy1i said:
Said it on many a thread since the Wycombe game. Ladapo is a more enthusiastic Jervis in that CF position, but he isn’t a persistent shaper. Taylor is a disciplined physical presence prepared to do the hard yards and maintain the shape for the inside forwards (when we attack) to exploit some space. He gave away a harsh pen against Southend but led the line well in a poor team performance but hasn’t started since. Unless he’s not match fit, i don’t understand why.

Ladapo is a great Plan B, the best we have had for several years but Taylor is the only way Derek’s current formation becomes effective, until that component is firing, we are trucked.

It is just a pity Argyle do not have a game plan or 8 outfielders that would allow both Tayor and Lapado to be upfront together and be successful. Tynan & Clayton did it as did Rafferty and Mariner. Am I expecting too much in the second decade of the 21st Century?

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Carey. Sorry but the guy is out of form. Someone else should now be getting a chance. Lameiras for me. Yet when your playing poorly and the manager keeps picking you then you have to wonder is he untouchable? Today his decision making let him down and then often his execution failing him.

Agree. He's had enough chances now. Carey isn't bigger than the club and Reuben or even Ainsworth on that right hand side deserve a chance now.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Some absolute rubbish being posted about Ladapo.
If you think he just ‘runs about a lot’ and is ‘enthusiastic’ you’re probably the same people who reckoned Bolasie was a headless chicken.

He’s a completely different type of player to Taylor.

Gee, why the constant negativity?

Has it occurred to you that we may have two outstanding forwards in the squad? One of whom will be highly sought after before long, and command a high fee should we not be able to resist. And I know which one that is.

Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
Has occurred to you we may have two outstanding forwards in the squad? One of whom will be highly sought after before long, and command a high fee should we not be able to resist. And I know which one that is.

But as others have said Taylor suits our style of play, and without Taylor we are abolutely fu@ked.