Brief synopsis | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief synopsis

• Thread starter I'mArgyleinDubai
  • Start date
Oct 18, 2010
St Judes
esmer":bvlotf8p said:
Have to say I was really impressed with Canavan again. I've seen him play three times(fortunately not the Peterborough game) and he has been excellent; we have only conceded one goal in those three games and kept two clean sheets. He reads the game very well and always seems to be in the right place; as the saying goes the three most important things about defending are position, position and position.

Yeah I think he might prove to be a good signing for us.

Oct 14, 2015
Last season was very unique because of the amazing run we went on but there's no certainty it'll happen again. Some are thinking or hoping that the same will be repeated this season. I hope it does and I certainly think we'll turn the corner after our first win but as for last seasons amazing run we have to remember, like Leicester winning the Premiership, it may have been a one off.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
But we don’t need anything like last season’s run. I don’t really understand why people keep saying that, unless they’re demanding promotion this season.

We finished 7th last season, mid to lower table will be fine this time before pushing on with the new stand and facilities next year.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Last year's run was
unbelievable.

At the time no one would of even dreamt of it and the balance of probability says no team would go on such a run let Argyle again.

If that's what people are thinking they are deluded as thus squad is a lot weaker than last year.
Only 3 of the 11 new players are worthy of a start and even then they are a downgrade on Oscar Vyner and Bradley

Realistically it's clear to see a place higher than 20th is the best we can hope for so I'm going with 18th in hope more than belief

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
I think it’ll be healthy to forget last years run and not be so reliant on it this year. It was great but pretty unprecedented.

I’d take a steady try and win your home games and not lose your away ones.

Obviously we’re a little bit short of that right now but a run like last year is pretty unrealistic

Sep 6, 2006
HC Green":pnk8jntf said:
Balham_Green":pnk8jntf said:
esmer":pnk8jntf said:
Balham_Green":pnk8jntf said:
esmer":pnk8jntf said:
I thought we did very well yesterday. For an hour we played a very solid 4411 and for the most part comfortably contained Rovers and caused one or two problems of our own. After sixty minutes Adams swapped Grants and went with an attacking 433 formation and from then on we dominated the game and created enough good chances to have won comfortably. Disappointing not to have won but a very much improved performance with a number of positives not least the clean sheet. Onwards and upwards.

Perhaps if we had been positive from the start we might have won? What do you think eh?
This is an historic moment Balham because you may actually have a valid point. Adams will call it game management but I on this one rare occasion agree with you, had he been positive and gone with 433 from the start we would have given ourselves a better chance of winning the game. Well done!

You see you are learning. Adams often gets it wrong.

Or perhaps you have the benefit of hindsight, which is a wonderful thing.

All very well except for;
1. Many on here have been saying for WEEKS we need to be more positive.
2. Mr. ADAMS is paid very very well to get these things right IN ADVANCE.

so you miss the point yet again.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
1. None of us know how to manage a football team.

2. Football is chaos, being paid very well ‘to get things right’ is utterly meaningless, as even the very best and highly paid managers show on a weekly basis.

Good luck finding the manager who gets all decisions right while winning and playing great football, because he simply doesn’t exist. And he certainly doesn’t exist at League 1 level.

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":336o410o said:

2. Football is chaos, being paid very well ‘to get things right’ is utterly meaningless, as even the very best and highly paid managers show on a weekly basis.

Good luck finding the manager who gets all decisions right while winning and playing great football, because he simply doesn’t exist. And he certainly doesn’t exist at League 1 level.

So we may as well get Mike Bassett (Ricky Tomlinson) to do the job on a shoestring and use the money on players.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
We weren't brilliant, but we were improved.

Macey - 8
Solid throughout with one very good save.

Riley - 5
I feel like he's got something about him, but he's lacking in confidence, he releases the ball down the line far too early. I think he's worth a giving a few more games to though.

Edwards - 7
Solid.

Canavan - 7
Solid.

Sawyer - 8
Was disappointed when I saw he was in ahead of ASB, but he actually played really well.

Songo'o - 7
Plenty of effort and endeavour, I've always said he's a good player to have in a fully blood scrappy affair which this was at times.

C Grant - 5
The only outfield player in our squad to start every game, but I'm still not sure what exactly he does.

Ness - 7
Tidy & solid.

Sarcevic - 7
Energetic & dynamic as per usual, would have been an eight but he missed the chance of the game.

Carey - 6
It's just not happening for him at the moment, but I maintain he needs to be in the team.

Ladapo - 7
Difficult, strong and didn't seem to tire either.

Subs:

Wootton - 4
Surprised to learn he's played RB a number of times throughout his career at a higher level as well, he looked very slow and very uncomfortable.

Grant - 8
I've been critical of him before for not being effective enough, but he was excellent, consistently beat his man and created opportunities.

Taylor - N/A
Not really enough time to have an impact.

May 8, 2011
Balham_Green":1nyf6uj2 said:
HC Green":1nyf6uj2 said:
esmer":1nyf6uj2 said:
esmer":1nyf6uj2 said:
I thought we did very well yesterday. For an hour we played a very solid 4411 and for the most part comfortably contained Rovers and caused one or two problems of our own. After sixty minutes Adams swapped Grants and went with an attacking 433 formation and from then on we dominated the game and created enough good chances to have won comfortably. Disappointing not to have won but a very much improved performance with a number of positives not least the clean sheet. Onwards and upwards.

Perhaps if we had been positive from the start we might have won? What do you think eh?
This is an historic moment Balham because you may actually have a valid point. Adams will call it game management but I on this one rare occasion agree with you, had he been positive and gone with 433 from the start we would have given ourselves a better chance of winning the game. Well done!

You see you are learning. Adams often gets it wrong.

Or perhaps you have the benefit of hindsight, which is a wonderful thing.

All very well except for;
1. Many on here have been saying for WEEKS we need to be more positive.
2. Mr. ADAMS is paid very very well to get these things right IN ADVANCE.

so you miss the point yet again.

I understood Adams was always positive as he doesn’t like negativity.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
DA is positively negative or is it negatively positive.
Either way he is defence minded first which does not suit the better players in the squad hence people like Conor Grant gets the nod when he clearly isn't a LM

May 8, 2011
samjones":4r8uesha said:
Either way he is defence minded first which does not suit the better players in the squad hence people like Conor Grant gets the nod when he clearly isn't a LM

Actually Adams isn’t. I think you need to check out his record as a manager and a player.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
samjones":1obnqltj said:

Can you explain how Graham Carey has had the best and most creative spell of his career, under Adams?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Balham_Green":o163s3p4 said:
Biggs":o163s3p4 said:

So we may as well get Mike Bassett (Ricky Tomlinson) to do the job on a shoestring and use the money on players.

I should have quoted the 1 and 2 points you made that I was answering. But I was making the point that being paid very well doesn’t mean there’s an expectation that all your decisions are correct.

Football is too chaotic for even the best managers to do that. Derek Adams definitely makes mistakes, but generally at Argyle he’s got it right more often than not, which isn’t common in football management.