Brief Synopsis!!! (Blackpool) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brief Synopsis!!! (Blackpool)

May 1, 2011
nick_PASTIE":3187axju said:
Bristol Rich":3187axju said:
r4h4al":3187axju said:
Good summary. I thought we generally played well. Miles the better side and deserved an easy win. Song'o, Sarcevic, Ladapo the standouts. But we won't score as proved today with Ladapo up front on his own.

Blackpool had 1 chance took it, and back to the walls for 20 minutes which just about worked because we weren't good enough to score.

Onto the next game.

Blackpool had at least 2 or 3 good chances in the first half and they had our defence on toast. In the 2nd half they had another clear cut chance and a couple of half chances. Let's not rewrite history.

The lad Cullen should have had a hat trick. Mind blowing how selective some of this reporting is tonight. Delusional.

Blackpool as the away team were by far the better side and could have easily scored another one.

Oct 31, 2015
I have read through most stuff tonight and I am on the side of we were pants until Lamerias was bought on.

Defence.

Masey had little to do apart from pick the ball out of the net but Blackpool missed 2 sitters, Cullen should have had a hatrick. Sawyer played well but the other 3 are not Lg 1 standard. Riley was mullered in the first half and the amount of times their 14 ghosted between Edwards and Riley was laughable. I cant remember the last time we had a defence this bad. Thanks goodness for Sawyer.

Midfield

Big shout out for Sarcs and Yan they are working their socks off to get something moving. OKeefe was missing all game. Boy we missed Ness.
There was no pressing at all and Blackpool just walked through us at will in the first half and early second half. Where has the pressing gone? Some of Songo's passes were superb. Where has that come form?

Attack

Dont get me started. Carey has lost his mojo and is trying but nothing is happening. Grant did well early on but drifted out of the game. Freddie unlucky not to get a goal but it does not work with Freddie up front by himself. Absolutely no outlet.

Subs

Wootton probably the best I have seen him play and still carp.
Taylor not worth bringing on
Lamerias Alongside Gary Sawyer, Song and Sarcs our best player. We started to moved forward once he came on.

Adams

Pathetic :funny:

For all the puffing and panting in the last 20 minutes only one shot of note from Edwards. Last season we had injuries, 7 x keepers and red cards. This season there are non of those excuses.

Matt Macey - 6-
Gary Sawyer - 7
Niall Canavan - Will leave him out of the scoring
Ryan Edwards - 6
Joe Riley - 3 (1 for the first half and 5 for the second)
Yann Songo'o - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 7
Stuart O'Keefe - 4
Joel Grant - 6
Graham Carey - 5
Freddie Ladapo - 6

Kyle Letheren - unused
Ashley Smith-Brown - unused
Scott Wootton - 5
David Fox - unused
Ruben Lameiras - 7
Gregg Wylde - unused
Ryan Taylor - 4

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
Cobi Budge":17pzcpgl said:
He was poor in the first half but I personally thought Riley was excellent in the second so I'm surprised at the low ratings.

Is this a wind up?!!

Riley is the worst RB I've ever seen in a green shirt!
He cost us a goal with his inability to make a challenge. Should have cost us another if Blackpool were any good.
Got skinned time and time again and offers absolutely nothing going forwards.
If, and it's a big if, we can sort this defence out we will start winning. If you take our defence out of the equation we were better than them!!

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
So the pattern remains...

Defence slow and lacking confidence.

RB targeted time and time again.

Always a CM missing, Grant mainly.. O’Keefe yesterday.

Lack of quailty in finishing.

How do you improve this?

Sep 6, 2006
999mattyg":2ucmfe9c said:
Cobi Budge":2ucmfe9c said:
He was poor in the first half but I personally thought Riley was excellent in the second so I'm surprised at the low ratings.

Is this a wind up?!!

Riley is the worst RB I've ever seen in a green shirt!
He cost us a goal with his inability to make a challenge. Should have cost us another if Blackpool were any good.
Got skinned time and time again and offers absolutely nothing going forwards.
If, and it's a big if, we can sort this defence out we will start winning. If you take our defence out of the equation we were better than them!!

To add to that he doesn't even have the basic ability to cross a ball as a professional footballer. What was Adams thinking? I don't think he has done his homework on these new players.

Sep 6, 2006
r4h4al":2igra9sp said:
Good summary. I thought we generally played well. Miles the better side and deserved an easy win. Song'o, Sarcevic, Ladapo the standouts. But we won't score as proved today with Ladapo up front on his own.

Blackpool had 1 chance took it, and back to the walls for 20 minutes which just about worked because we weren't good enough to score.

Onto the next game.

You got confused mate. Argyle were the team playing in green.

Sep 6, 2006
Steve Evans":2v89d72q said:
i found the match quite entertaining but obviously frustrating because we lost against an ordinary side.taking off freddie was a joke as he played excellent.we need to play with two strikers and lameiras is infinitely better than o'keefe in my opinion.my ratings;
Matt Macey - 5
Gary Sawyer - 7
Niall Canavan - n/a
Ryan Edwards - 5
Joe Riley - 0
Yann Songo'o - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 7
Stuart O'Keefe - 0
Joel Grant - 6
Graham Carey - 6
Freddie Ladapo - 8

Kyle Letheren - unused
Scott Wootton - 7
David Fox - unused
Ruben Lameiras - 7
Gregg Wylde - unused
Ryan Taylor - 1

We still getting promoted Steve?

Sep 6, 2006
Mark Pedlar":110lzu2o said:
1) Ness and Connor Grant left out through injury meant starts for O'Keefe and Joel Grant. Ruben took Grant's place on the bench and Wylde too into the 18. At least with Grant starting we assumed we would be back to 4-3-3. The formation didn't last long. Canavan off within minutes of the start and replaced by Wootton. Personally I'd have had Smith-Brown on and put Sawyer at centre back.

2) Twice in the first 10 Riley went missing from right back and led to early chances for Blackpool, the first was squandered and the second left Macey on the floor. Third attack down the right. Riley stood off. Easy cross, easy finish. Feeling of inevitability all over it. Blackpool had another couple of good chances in the first half but flying blocks (including one by Riley) prevented the goal being threatened.

3) Argyle had a few chances; Carey tamely hit a free-kick at the goalie, Ladapo hit a post with a back heel, and there was a big penalty appeal for hand ball turned down. Songo'o was probably man of the first-half with Grant not far behind. Carey had a better 45 and the three centre-backs weren't too bad even though Edwards missed a couple of headers. Sarcevic and O'Keefe tried hard but appeared to be out numbered. Can there be anyone apart from Adams who thinks Riley is a better option at right back to Moore?

4) I still don't get playing Ladapo as a lone front man. The ball doesn't stick and midfield get drawn out of position trying to tidy up. I want to see Taylor and Lameiras out there even though Joel Grant had a good half. I half expected to see Smith-Brown on at half-time with Sawyer and Wootton moving across. No changes.

5) Blackpool dominated the first 10 after half-time with Argyle looking laboured as well as the first half failings. Riley and Edwards over hit clearances and Carey and Grant couldn't get close enough to Ladapo for Argyle to look like scoring. Wihout 29 to go Adams made the changes. O'Keefe and Ladapo were replaced by Taylor and Lameiras.

6) Lameiras played in the hole behind Taylor with Grant and Carey providing the width. Suddenly there was movement. Some strange decisions by the referee relieved the pressure for Blackpool as they drifted towards Wycombe mode.

7) Riley was much improved in the second half. Argyle looked better with the arrival of Lameiras but there was still something missing. Sawyer and Carey combined well at times and Grant had an overall good game without actually looking that dangerous. For me Songo'o was man of the match. Carey is still not the player we know he can be.

8 ) Into injury time and 2 Blackpool players were shown red cards after a fight in their own penalty area. Argyle layer siege but couldn't find the final touch. Edwards headed into the goalies hands and shambles could not be converted.

9) Blackpool were poor and Argyle were worse. Little joined up play from front to back and when we did get it forward there was little penetration especially until Lameiras joined the fray. Admas doesn't know his strongest line up and the players aren't playing well. Something needs to happen to change it and soon.

Matt Macey - 6
Gary Sawyer - 7
Niall Canavan - 5
Ryan Edwards - 6
Joe Riley - 4
Yann Songo'o - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Stuart O'Keefe - 7
Joel Grant - 7
Graham Carey - 6
Freddie Ladapo - 6

Kyle Letheren - unused
Scott Wootton - 5
David Fox - unused
Ruben Lameiras - 7
Gregg Wylde - unused
Ryan Taylor - 5

Bit harsh giving z Canavan 5! One thing I noticed is Blackpool being allowed to bring the ball up from their own goal line over our half way line without ONE challenge. So easy to do. If Adams can't see that he really is clueless.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Balham_Green":2jj38jac said:
Mark Pedlar":2jj38jac said:
1) Ness and Connor Grant left out through injury meant starts for O'Keefe and Joel Grant. Ruben took Grant's place on the bench and Wylde too into the 18. At least with Grant starting we assumed we would be back to 4-3-3. The formation didn't last long. Canavan off within minutes of the start and replaced by Wootton. Personally I'd have had Smith-Brown on and put Sawyer at centre back.

2) Twice in the first 10 Riley went missing from right back and led to early chances for Blackpool, the first was squandered and the second left Macey on the floor. Third attack down the right. Riley stood off. Easy cross, easy finish. Feeling of inevitability all over it. Blackpool had another couple of good chances in the first half but flying blocks (including one by Riley) prevented the goal being threatened.

3) Argyle had a few chances; Carey tamely hit a free-kick at the goalie, Ladapo hit a post with a back heel, and there was a big penalty appeal for hand ball turned down. Songo'o was probably man of the first-half with Grant not far behind. Carey had a better 45 and the three centre-backs weren't too bad even though Edwards missed a couple of headers. Sarcevic and O'Keefe tried hard but appeared to be out numbered. Can there be anyone apart from Adams who thinks Riley is a better option at right back to Moore?

4) I still don't get playing Ladapo as a lone front man. The ball doesn't stick and midfield get drawn out of position trying to tidy up. I want to see Taylor and Lameiras out there even though Joel Grant had a good half. I half expected to see Smith-Brown on at half-time with Sawyer and Wootton moving across. No changes.

5) Blackpool dominated the first 10 after half-time with Argyle looking laboured as well as the first half failings. Riley and Edwards over hit clearances and Carey and Grant couldn't get close enough to Ladapo for Argyle to look like scoring. Wihout 29 to go Adams made the changes. O'Keefe and Ladapo were replaced by Taylor and Lameiras.

6) Lameiras played in the hole behind Taylor with Grant and Carey providing the width. Suddenly there was movement. Some strange decisions by the referee relieved the pressure for Blackpool as they drifted towards Wycombe mode.

7) Riley was much improved in the second half. Argyle looked better with the arrival of Lameiras but there was still something missing. Sawyer and Carey combined well at times and Grant had an overall good game without actually looking that dangerous. For me Songo'o was man of the match. Carey is still not the player we know he can be.

8 ) Into injury time and 2 Blackpool players were shown red cards after a fight in their own penalty area. Argyle layer siege but couldn't find the final touch. Edwards headed into the goalies hands and shambles could not be converted.

9) Blackpool were poor and Argyle were worse. Little joined up play from front to back and when we did get it forward there was little penetration especially until Lameiras joined the fray. Admas doesn't know his strongest line up and the players aren't playing well. Something needs to happen to change it and soon.

Matt Macey - 6
Gary Sawyer - 7
Niall Canavan - 5
Ryan Edwards - 6
Joe Riley - 4
Yann Songo'o - 7
Antoni Sarcevic - 6
Stuart O'Keefe - 7
Joel Grant - 7
Graham Carey - 6
Freddie Ladapo - 6

Kyle Letheren - unused
Scott Wootton - 5
David Fox - unused
Ruben Lameiras - 7
Gregg Wylde - unused
Ryan Taylor - 5

Bit harsh giving z Canavan 5! One thing I noticed is Blackpool being allowed to bring the ball up from their own goal line over our half way line without ONE challenge. So easy to do. If Adams can't see that he really is clueless.

And yet we don’t bring ours out of the 18 yard box before punting it up field.

Teams must play us and be amazed how easy they are allowed to attack and regain possession time and time again.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
I think people have covered off most of the negatives above so I'll run through a few positives:

Songo'o - Not sure what has happened to him but he seemed to have turned into Pirlo over night. He was spraying passes left right and centre, each time finding his man. The ball seemed to stick to him as well, 2 or 3 times the ball came to him in dodgy areas and he managed to juke his man and find himself space. We've found our new Carey :lol:

Lamieras & Taylor - It'll come as no surprise to anyone that with our best players from last year we actually looked like a threat. Lamieras offered some actual penetration, I'd almost forgotten what that looked like. And Carey finally looked a little like his old self with someone to play off and Taylor occupying bodies for him. It was clear these are the first names on the team sheet, I was quite excited first half at Walsall seeing these 3 back together. I can't quite believe it's taken Adams this long to realise our best players from last year might be able to do a job this year as well...

Sarcevic - Sarce and Songo'o have probably been the two players who have consistently proven their metal this year. Whilst the rest of the team has seemingly collapsed around them, these two have continued to perform. I've come away from most games this year thinking most of the players have embarrassed themselves and Argyle, each time though Sarce and Yann are exceptions to that rule. Sarce doesn't seem to stop running, putting his body about and linking up attack and defence. It would be nice if others helped him out a bit, there's only so much 2 midfielders can do up against 11 opponents. Somebody (Carey) needs to start using the positions Sarce has been getting us to up the field.

Queue - For the ticket office was very short, I had to pick up some tickets for Charlton next week. I suppose one of the benefits of us losing each week is nobody wants to buy any tickets.

Dinner - I had a lovely pasta bake for dinner when I got home.

Oct 14, 2015
I was there yesterday and can’t remember Taylor doing anything useful in the time he was on. That’s what made it more frustrating when Freddie went off. Like Carey, Taylor is nowhere near the player he was last season and that’s why he’s not starting games.

Feb 17, 2017
Welwyn Pilgrim":y5yft62b said:
I was there yesterday and can’t remember Taylor doing anything useful in the time he was on. That’s what made it more frustrating when Freddie went off. Like Carey, Taylor is nowhere near the player he was last season and that’s why he’s not starting games.

Completely agree, why people are suggesting Taylor should be playing I do not know, he shown yesterday why he is not playing, Freddie is in a different league to Taylor at the moment, fitter, faster and stronger.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Neilz5419":c19ld54u said:
Welwyn Pilgrim":c19ld54u said:

Completely agree, why people are suggesting Taylor should be playing I do not know, he shown yesterday why he is not playing, Freddie is in a different league to Taylor at the moment, fitter, faster and stronger.

Have to agree that on an INDIVIDUAL basis Taylor's 20 min cameo appearances have not been good whereas Ladapo is one of the only players to impress INDIVIDUALLY.

However football is a TEAM game and one player does not make a team.

Ladapo does well and offers something different to Taylor but based on last years performances one has to say the TLC formula did work overall and we are so desperate now we probably need to give it a run.

Maybe Ladapo could do the Jakey Jervis role and give us that pace and height and strength from the wing

We still need to find a good balance to the team and the problem we have is the defence is so poor we have to have more holding people in midfield if we play the negative defensive tactics DA is stubborn to drop

This would be my attacking team from those available :

Macey

Moore Edwards Sawyer ASB

Songo Ness

Carey

Ladapo Taylor Lameiras

Appreciate there is not a cat in hells chance of DA picking such an attacking team but if we are still WINLESS in January he may have no choice but to win all the remaining games to avoid relegation

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
I agree that Freddie offers a lot more that Taylor from what I've seen so far this season, but he faces an impossible task on his own and needs to build an understanding with Reuben/Carey so they can start putting some moves together with the ball on the floor, rather than this constant high ball rubbish which usually results in us losing possession. It's just so frustrating to watch us make everything look laboured and difficult. Having a settled team MUST be the first priority. All this chopping and changing is not the best way to get players gelling, as you can see from the number of misplaced passes. Players get frustrated themselves, which leads to lack of confidence in themselves and each other. Also agree that Songo'o was a revelation yesterday - some amazing passes. Maybe the result of some good coaching, let's hope others will benefit from the same. The main bright spot is that we're not yet adrift, with other teams also failing to get results. Can't rely on that though.

Sep 6, 2006
Ollieargyle9":38gq3vjn said:
I think people have covered off most of the negatives above so I'll run through a few positives:

Songo'o - Not sure what has happened to him but he seemed to have turned into Pirlo over night. He was spraying passes left right and centre, each time finding his man. The ball seemed to stick to him as well, 2 or 3 times the ball came to him in dodgy areas and he managed to juke his man and find himself space. We've found our new Carey :lol:

Lamieras & Taylor - It'll come as no surprise to anyone that with our best players from last year we actually looked like a threat. Lamieras offered some actual penetration, I'd almost forgotten what that looked like. And Carey finally looked a little like his old self with someone to play off and Taylor occupying bodies for him. It was clear these are the first names on the team sheet, I was quite excited first half at Walsall seeing these 3 back together. I can't quite believe it's taken Adams this long to realise our best players from last year might be able to do a job this year as well...

Sarcevic - Sarce and Songo'o have probably been the two players who have consistently proven their metal this year. Whilst the rest of the team has seemingly collapsed around them, these two have continued to perform. I've come away from most games this year thinking most of the players have embarrassed themselves and Argyle, each time though Sarce and Yann are exceptions to that rule. Sarce doesn't seem to stop running, putting his body about and linking up attack and defence. It would be nice if others helped him out a bit, there's only so much 2 midfielders can do up against 11 opponents. Somebody (Carey) needs to start using the positions Sarce has been getting us to up the field.

Queue - For the ticket office was very short, I had to pick up some tickets for Charlton next week. I suppose one of the benefits of us losing each week is nobody wants to buy any tickets.

Dinner - I had a lovely pasta bake for dinner when I got home.

I agree with the others. Can't think of a meaningful contribution by Taylor. Can you enlighten us ? Just looked very rusty. Perhaps with game time will improve but doesn't deserve game time. Catch 22.