Ben Purrington? (signs for Ross County) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ben Purrington? (signs for Ross County)

Jun 24, 2008
Forgetting position alternatives, Purrington is a signing I'd be happy with, good pedigree, talented and offers something unique in the sense of he knows the club and area.

I too fear that its not a position we need though with Grant and Law. Unless the data proves otherwise?

Leo's Grandad

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
I'm not sure he'd add anything but I did like him when he was with us before.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Probably no better than what we have but it depends who we might lose. What I don't understand is some saying him knowing the club and even the area is a plus. I really don't get that. The management team has changed since he moved on, the style of play has too and what knowing the area has to do with it I just don't see.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Probably no better than what we have but it depends who we might lose. What I don't understand is some saying him knowing the club and even the area is a plus. I really don't get that. The management team has changed since he moved on, the style of play has too and what knowing the area has to do with it I just don't see.
Probably won't get homesick for Scunthorpe, Burnley or Oldham?? :unsure:

Reactions: Bil
Jul 27, 2021
Before we discount how good or bad Law is, l prefer he actually gets a chance and a run in the team.

C Grant has had two years in the role at LWB, with a number of games. If people think he is good enough then that’s up to them. Personally, all l see is a good player wasted in a position that doesn‘t help the team or him.

Yet how anyone can decide if Law is good enough is beyond me because he needs a chance. The same argument ld have about Randell. They need a consecutive run of 10+ games in the team for us to see how they impact the team. l’m not sure Law will get that opportunity.
Law is average at attacking but cannot defend . Nice guy though and hopefully he will work hard , improve and prove me wrong .

Dec 30, 2020
I can believe we're looking at wide players as we don't aren't really have any alternatives to Edwards and Grant atm

But what we really lack out wide is a bit of pace. Purrington was a good player but don’t think he has the wheels to play as a left wing back.

So wouldn't be my pick.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Law is average at attacking but cannot defend . Nice guy though and hopefully he will work hard , improve and prove me wrong .
I don't get this 'Law cannot defend' argument. Maybe he can't *, but neither can Grant. At least Law is often where he should be when Argyle are defending. Grant is too often AWOL for my liking.
I'd like to see Law given a run of games... * personally, I think he can defend and will get better with more games.
As for Purrington, I think he could be a good replacement if Grant does leave and good competition for Law.
Doesn't Ben have a long throw too? Perhaps that is something we could utilise more.

Dec 30, 2020
Unfortunately Law is miles off the standard required and I'd go as far as to say that if he's playing regularly I'd expect us to be around the wrong end of the table.

He has some qualities but wing backs are a key role in our system and his weaknesses are so glaring that I think it would really badly affect the entire team.

• Haha
Reactions: briangreen

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Unfortunately Law is miles off the standard required and I'd go as far as to say that if he's playing regularly I'd expect us to be around the wrong end of the table.

He has some qualities but wing backs are a key role in our system and his weaknesses are so glaring that I think it would really badly affect the entire team.
Oh come on: "miles off the standard required"? There's simply no evidence for that statement. I'm not saying that he's definitely already AT the standard required but there is a little evidence that he might be, not least the fact that he was offered a new contract by the management team (who must surely be able to judge his merits better than any of us).

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Oh come on: "miles off the standard required"? There's simply no evidence for that statement. I'm not saying that he's definitely already AT the standard required but there is a little evidence that he might be, not least the fact that he was offered a new contract by the management team (who must surely be able to judge his merits better than any of us).
Has he accepted it yet?

BTW - In my opinion Law isn't up to League1 and probably never will be.

• Haha

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
This season is the last chance for Law to prove himself as a regular starter.
He'll be 23 in September and needs to be playing regularly, the problem for him is that he's a left wing-back only and will likely have Grant (or his replacement) in front of him in the starting 11.

If we played with wingers Law would have more of a chance to play in games.
Could he play the Danny Mayor role if he was ever injured?

Law signed a new contract last month, the length of the contract wasn't mentioned.

Last edited:
  • Haha

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Has he accepted it yet?

BTW - In my opinion Law isn't up to League1 and probably never will be.
Good question - I don't know.
You may well be right but I do think it is very hard to judge a player on a few bit-part contributions. Really, he needs to have a regular run in a side to settle in and have a chance to show his worth. He ought to have gone out on loan at some point in the last 2-3 seasons and played a full or good chunk of a season at National League or League 2 level (like Randell did). Not having gained that experience, for whatever reason, has significantly hampered his development I suspect.

Dec 30, 2020

He's only started like eight games and already been on the end of two absolute pastings, 6-0 and 5-0 (both at home!), and directly cost us multiple goals... This season v Portsmouth (too weak contesting the header at the far post) and Crewe (winger cutting past him far too easily) and then last season diving in for a penalty v Sunderland (he did the same thing v Oxford this season, fortunately the player was offside but Law didn't know this at the time).

More generally, he struggles to compete physically and still looks surprised by the speed of pro football, frequently getting caught in possession or trying to take on players who prove much quicker and stronger than he is.

That sounds harsh but just wanted to correct the assertion that there is 'simply no evidence' that he's not the required standard when unfortunately there is quite a lot.

There is also some evidence to the contrary. He's taken a couple of goals well and seems to have a decent ball on him. I don't even think it was a bad decision to give him another contract, just that it would be to put him in the team. Right now he looks like the sort of player (lightweight and inexperienced/error prone) that I'd associate with sides that get relegated.