Ben Purrington? (signs for Ross County) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ben Purrington? (signs for Ross County)

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Personally I’d like to see Law given a proper run in the team - his pace , athleticism and energy are ideal for a LWB role, particularly in an attacking sense. He needs to improve his positional play defensively I think, but my view is he just needs more games and we’ll unearth a real player who could link up well with Mayor.

Last edited:
Mar 1, 2005
Southampton
Personally I’d like to see Law given a proper run in the team - his pace , athleticism and energy are ideal for a LWB role, particularly in an attacking sense. He needs to improve his positional play defensively I think but my view is he just needs more games and we’ll unearth a real player who could link up well with Mayor.
That goal at Birmingham couldn't have been struck better. He just needs the confidence from playing every week and finding that he can defend even if he doesn't fully know it yet. Some players just take a bit longer to mature, but I am sure it will come.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
A no brainer if he’s keen to return. An experienced L1 full back, still in his prime years who can play LB, LWB, LCB and CDM in an emergency (pretty sure he did for us once before).

Whilst I like our youth players being in the team, Law turns 23 this year and doesn’t look close to nailing down a starting spot. By the same age Purrington had nearly 100 EFL appearances under his belt and had made a 300k move to a championship side.

If he does come in though someone must be going out, we already have two LWB and two LCB.

Reactions: Penmaster
Jun 27, 2019
I liked Ben when he was here, but I don’t really see him adding anything new to the squad other than depth to be honest.

He played 23 games last season, scored two goals and had one assist.

Ryan Law played 22 games last season, scored 2 goals and had one assist.

In terms of depth, then maybe it’s worth having Purrington in the squad - it would free up Conor Grant to move into central midfield if Pan goes.

But other than that - Purrington and Law are statistically similar players, so I don’t think we need Purrington. I’d be happy for Ryan Law to get the opportunity this season.
It isn't really a fair comparison since Ryan Law played at wingback and Purrington at fullback.

Aug 8, 2013
If my memory's faulty, I apologize, but I thought Purrington wanted out rather
than us wanting him to go. Seems like there was some reason he didn't want to
be here.

Reactions: briangreen

Alan Turing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jul 24, 2010
Mutley
You are right Gary, he wanted out.

I got the impression that he thought he was better than he actually was.

Reactions: oldage

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Don’t get the clamber for ex players if lm honest.

He was an OK player. We got decent money. Rotherham and Charlton moved him on because he wasn’t good enough in the end at their level.

If we played 4ATB then maybe. But we don’t. We need a more attacking LWB than Purington.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Don’t get the clamber for ex players if lm honest.

He was an OK player. We got decent money. Rotherham and Charlton moved him on because he wasn’t good enough in the end at their level.

If we played 4ATB then maybe. But we don’t. We need a more attacking LWB than Purington.
We have one already Conor Grant 11 goals and 18 assists in last 2 seasons

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
We have one already Conor Grant 11 goals and 18 assists in last 2 seasons

God help us if he is the answer at LWB. 4 assists last season in a team that got 80 points. Not sure his influence shines out.

Garrick, Camara, Broom and Mayor got more assists.

Reactions: oldage

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021

Because he doesn’t have the pace or energy to be a wing back.

If you watch him he can’t beat a man on the outside.

If you watch him carefully as he attacks he doesn’t have the recovery energy to get back when we lose the ball and teams counter us.

He is a player with decent ability on the ball but G Cooper was a better attacking threat than Grant. Cooper wasn’t defensively good enough to be a left wing back either but in the season we went up he was the creative outlet on the left. He had 12 assists. 3 times the amount Grant got last season. 6 more assists than any other member of the squad that season. That’s shows how important width is to a team and how influential it can be. Especially when you only play one wide player on each flank.

When he got injured we had no other options but to use Grant. Problem was unless Mayor drifted to the left Argyle had to idea how to get in behind a team on the flank down the left hand side.

Cooper could beat a player by himself.

Grant / McFadzean couldn’t unless Mayor drifted over from CM to beat a player in order for these guys to function. Cooper didn’t need Mayor to do this.

Last edited:
Reactions: JannerinCardiff
Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Because he doesn’t have the pace or energy to be a wing back.

If you watch him he can’t beat a man on the outside.

If you watch him carefully as he attacks he doesn’t have the recovery energy to get back when we lose the ball and teams counter us.

He is a player with decent ability on the ball but G Cooper was a better attacking threat than Grant. Cooper wasn’t defensively good enough to be a left wing back either but in the season we went up he was the creative outlet on the left. He had 12 assists. 3 times the amount Grant got last season. 6 more assists than any other member of the squad. That’s shows how important width is to a team. Especially when you only play one wide player on each flank.

When he got injured we had no other options but to use Grant. Problem was unless Mayor drifted to the left Argyle had to idea how to get in behind a team on the flank down the left hand side.
Regardless of all of your tactical insights into our players failings MGM , Conor Grant has performed well at wing back for us and his goals and assists from wing back over the last 2 seasons have been very good . Had Conor and the other injured players been available at the end of the season, we may well have ended up in the play offs in a very strong League last season. Not bad considering all the perceived faults our players have .