Ben Purrington? (signs for Ross County) | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Ben Purrington? (signs for Ross County)

SMG

Oct 22, 2021
If he is not up to standard why would we want to sign him. We finish above Charlton ! Anyway he,s from across the the the river in Cornwall so why would he miss Devon.

Wow. Fortunately, we have a recruitment team that don't look at such simple things as he played for a team that finished below us, 'well that rules him out' 🤣

Bryan Tregunna

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Sep 22, 2003
Give Law a run at Wing-back. There is potential there if given a decent run.
Is Purrington being released because of wages or because he is not of he required standard?
Re Purrington: the answer is a bit of both; Charlton offered a new contract so they clearly thought he was the required standard, but not sufficiently to meet Ben's demands.

I would have thought that Charlton would have a bigger budget than Argyle. Hence, if they won't pay what he wants then I doubt that we could.
Having said that, personal circumstances may dictate a return to the southwest is worth a drop in salary.
But how often does a player return to make a real impact? Inevitably there are exceptions.

Feb 9, 2021
Give Law a run at Wing-back. There is potential there if given a decent run.
Is Purrington being released because of wages or because he is not of he required standard?
I agree Law deserves his chance now that Grant is out injured its a great opportunity for him

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Re Purrington: the answer is a bit of both; Charlton offered a new contract so they clearly thought he was the required standard, but not sufficiently to meet Ben's demands.

I would have thought that Charlton would have a bigger budget than Argyle. Hence, if they won't pay what he wants then I doubt that we could.
Having said that, personal circumstances may dictate a return to the southwest is worth a drop in salary.
But how often does a player return to make a real impact? Inevitably there are exceptions.
Charlton may (or may not!) have a bigger budget than Argyle but that doesn't mean that every offer they make to every player will be bigger than an Argyle offer. Charlton MIGHT have only seen Purrington as a squad/back-up player whereas Argyle MIGHT see him as a a key missing piece of the jigsaw and, accordingly, offer him relatively better terms. For us he might be a relatively big piece of a small overall budget whereas for Charlton he might have been a relatively small piece of a bigger overall budget.

But my own feeling is that we wouldn't be looking at BP as a major signing.

Aug 5, 2016
I liked Ben when he was here, but I don’t really see him adding anything new to the squad other than depth to be honest.

He played 23 games last season, scored two goals and had one assist.

Ryan Law played 22 games last season, scored 2 goals and had one assist.

But other than that - Purrington and Law are statistically similar players, so I don’t think we need Purrington. I’d be happy for Ryan Law to get the opportunity this season.

Is this honestly your method of determining the quality of wing backs?

Presumably both are statistically better than Aaron Wan Bissaka who had 0 goals and 0 assists this season.

Reactions: SMG
Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
I think my point was he isn’t suited for the role. Thats means l think there is better out there. Eg like you said …not perfect …but we just have to disagree as how someone has done well and only got four assists (last season) l am at a complete loss. Now your just arguing the facts, not me tbh.

Lets remember the season before, where he did get 10 assists he was part of the defence that conceded 80 goals.

I don’t want to see Purrington back simply because once a player has moved on for me that’s it. Time has been served. The same as any other ex player that keeps getting mentioned like Carey for example. It’s the past. Time for new heroes in a green shirt.
Thanks for editing your posts after a reply .Very convenient that you discount his 7 goals last season and according to transfrmarkt he had 6 assists last season which makes 13 goal involvements which isn't a bad contribution from a left wing back over 38 games.

Apr 20, 2008
Plymouth
I don't mind the discussion about ex-players at all.

Unless you're a scout or data analyst, or have enough time to watch extended highlights of other left wing backs, we are of course going to know more about players we have watched numerous times ourselves than we are a random other club's player. I don't know how good a fit Pape Souare or Daniel Harvie would be for us, and unless someone on here has happened to watch them a load of times, they wont either. So of course it's reasonable to discuss Ben Purrington, given how we know his strengths and weaknesses from when he was here before. Albeit, in the 5 years since, those may have changed a bit.

I think he could offer cover for LCB, LWB and LCM, which would make him an extremely useful option - if his wage demands are reasonable.

Reactions: GreenThing

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
Is this honestly your method of determining the quality of wing backs?

Presumably both are statistically better than Aaron Wan Bissaka who had 0 goals and 0 assists this season.

Nope.

Not once in my post do I even mention the word ‘quality’ - I even state towards the end, and you’ve even highlighted it yourself, that I believe that they are statistically similar.

My underlying point is that I’d prefer Ryan Law to be given the opportunity. He needs this season to develop, and I really hope he does.

Also, anyone is better than Aaron Wan Bissaka.

Aug 5, 2016
Nope.

Not once in my post do I even mention the word ‘quality’ - I even state towards the end, and you’ve even highlighted it yourself, that I believe that they are statistically similar.

My underlying point is that I’d prefer Ryan Law to be given the opportunity. He needs this season to develop, and I really hope he does.

Also, anyone is better than Aaron Wan Bissaka.
But when you say "statistically similar", you do mean those couple of goals and assists?
As opposed to pace, acceleration, tackles, dribbles, overlapping runs, runs tracked, crosses blocked, interceptions, km ran etc.
The season before Purrington moved for £400,000 to Rotherham, he was a lot more developed and better than Ryan Law is now, superior in almost every department. So I'm not sure how you could say they are statistically similar.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Before we discount how good or bad Law is, l prefer he actually gets a chance and a run in the team.

C Grant has had two years in the role at LWB, with a number of games. If people think he is good enough then that’s up to them. Personally, all l see is a good player wasted in a position that doesn‘t help the team or him.

Yet how anyone can decide if Law is good enough is beyond me because he needs a chance. The same argument ld have about Randell. They need a consecutive run of 10+ games in the team for us to see how they impact the team. l’m not sure Law will get that opportunity.

Reactions: greenpig27