Ben Purrington? (signs for Ross County) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • Welcome to PASOTI. Sponsored by Lang & Potter

Ben Purrington? (signs for Ross County)

MGM

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 7, 2021
Regardless of all of your tactical insights into our players failings MGM , Conor Grant has performed well at wing back for us and his goals and assists from wing back over the last 2 seasons have been very good . Had Conor and the other injured players been available at the end of the season, we may well have ended up in the play offs in a very strong League last season. Not bad considering all the perceived faults our players have .

Its not a tactical insight. Your asking a player to run up and down the flanks and he doesnā€™t have the energy to do this.

I will use your logic. So we had a good season. Yet he had four assists in a good season. Doesnā€˜t exactly make your point he made a telling contribution when he played 38 games of a 46 league game season. So thatā€™s one assist every 802 minutes when you include his four fa cup games too.

https://footystats.org/players/england/conor-grant

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2009
Regardless of all of your tactical insights into our players failings MGM , Conor Grant has performed well at wing back for us and his goals and assists from wing back over the last 2 seasons have been very good . Had Conor and the other injured players been available at the end of the season, we may well have ended up in the play offs in a very strong League last season. Not bad considering all the perceived faults our players have .
I agree with MGM, who, I believe, is not saying Grant isn't a decent player...simply that he is not the answer at LWB in the formation our philosophy is supposedly built upon.

Round pegs for round holes. If we're going to continue to play 3-5-2 or 3-1-4-2 then we require wing backs who can stretch the opposition out wide, at pace, plus have the speed to defend the counter. Not easy players to find, of course.

I think Grant has done well for us and is technically gifted - but for the position in which he is asked to play, we need better in order to evolve.

Reactions: leeroy221 and Drake

memory man

āœ… Evergreen
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Good player. Was sorry to see him go ( strange decision IMO). Just my opinion, but I think heā€™d be a useful signing, as I think he could play LCB and LWB ( Iā€™ve also seen him play defensive midfield for Argyle) ....
I think I could give you 300000 reasons why he had to be let go.

Reactions: Penlee
Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Its not a tactical insight. Your asking a player to run up and down the flanks and he doesnā€™t have the energy to do this.
I'm no tactical expert , but would suggest there is far more involved in carrying out the wing back role than running up and down the flank , Conor Grant may not be perfect for the role but he has done well at wing back for us and as shown by his goal involvements during the last 2 seasons , in my opinion he is the more attacking wing back you suggested we needed compared to Ben Purrington ( Who I would be happy to see back at the club , should we sign him )

Reactions: Dan Ellard

MGM

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 7, 2021
I agree with MGM, who, I believe, is not saying Grant isn't a decent player...simply that he is not the answer at LWB in the formation our philosophy is supposedly built upon.

Round pegs for round holes. If we're going to continue to play 3-5-2 or 3-1-4-2 then we require wing backs who can stretch the opposition out wide, at pace, plus have the speed to defend the counter. Not easy players to find, of course.

I think Grant has done well for us and is technically gifted - but for the position in which he is asked to play, we need better in order to evolve.

Totally. He is a decent player. l think he could play the CDM position just as good, if not better, than Houghton.

Grant could play LB. He just needs someone in front of him if is more creative but unfortunately we play a wing back system, and not a 4ATB system.

I agree with you too about it not easy finding the right players for our system. This has always been an issue of mine. Itā€™s very difficult, on our budget, to find very good wing backs at League one level. There is a reason not many teams plat 3ATB and one of them is finding these type of players at our level to fit a complex system.

Last edited:
Reactions: leeroy221

MGM

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 7, 2021
I'm no tactical expert , but would suggest there is far more involved in carrying out the wing back role than running up and down the flank , Conor Grant may not be perfect for the role but he has done well at wing back for us and as shown by his goal involvements during the last 2 seasons , in my opinion he is the more attacking wing back you suggested we needed compared to Ben Purrington ( Who I would be happy to see back at the club , should we sign him )

I think my point was he isnā€™t suited for the role. Thats means l think there is better out there. Eg like you said ā€¦not perfect ā€¦but we just have to disagree as how someone has done well and only got four assists (last season) l am at a complete loss. Now your just arguing the facts, not me tbh.

Lets remember the season before, where he did get 10 assists he was part of the defence that conceded 80 goals.

I donā€™t want to see Purrington back simply because once a player has moved on for me thatā€™s it. Time has been served. The same as any other ex player that keeps getting mentioned like Carey for example. Itā€™s the past. Time for new heroes in a green shirt.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
I think my point was he isnā€™t suited for the role. Thats means l think there is better out there. Eg like you said ā€¦not perfect ā€¦

I donā€™t want to see Purrington back simply because once a player has moved on for me thatā€™s it. Time has been served. The same as any other ex player that keeps getting mentioned like Carey for example. Itā€™s the past. Time for new heroes in a green shirt.
Reference players coming back , if they can help make the team stronger and will be a good asset , then it shouldn't matter whether they have played here before . Tommy Tynan , Micky Evans.

Reactions: JannerinCardiff

MGM

āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Dec 7, 2021
Reference players coming back , if they can help make the team stronger and will be a good asset , then it shouldn't matter whether they have played here before . Tommy Tynan , Micky Evans.

Its a personal preference. l take your point about Evans. But it hasnt changed my mind. I didnā€™t want Sturrock back a second time in charge either. So itā€™s not just a player thing for me.

Sawyer came back. Did a decent job. McCormick too. There are players that can and will come back and probably do a decent job. However, itā€™s very rare they come back much better than they were originally. Micky Evans to me was the exception and not the rule.

Purrington left us to go onto better things. l donā€™t see a player who is better than what we already have.

Last edited:
Reactions: getyourbootson
Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Its a personal preference. l take your point about Evans. But it hasnt changed my mind. I didnā€™t want Sturrock back a second time in charge either. So itā€™s not just a player thing for me.

Sawyer came back. Did a decent job. McCormick too. There are players that can and will come back and probably do a decent job. However, itā€™s very rare they come back much better than they were originally. Micky Evans to me was the exception and not the rule.

Purrington left us to go onto better things. l donā€™t see a player who is better than what we already have.
Well , I suspect like most fans , we are both keen to see some signings ahead of the return to training next week , if the club decide Ben is someone who will strengthen the team then that will be good enough for me.

Mar 11, 2021
Tavistock
Hes a decent player. He's better than Laws. No brainer. Laws will improve further by learning from Purrington.

However depends what BP wants financially.

SMG

Oct 22, 2021

Exactly, it's rather close minded to rule out any player that previously played for us. Luckily not a 'rule' the recruitment team are going to hamstring themselves with.

Aug 13, 2009
Give Law a run at Wing-back. There is potential there if given a decent run.
Is Purrington being released because of wages or because he is not of he required standard?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Oct 31, 2010
With speculation about Grant's future at Argyle it makes sense to have irons in the fire and Purrington is the perfect candidate - a good age at 26, knows the area and has recent experience of playing in the Championship although I think affording his wages will be a big problem.
I don't think Law is ready to be a regular starter just yet.

• Haha
Reactions: briangreen