Promotion sealed at Pompey!! | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Promotion sealed at Pompey!!

I think the deed will be completed at Newport or Colchester, hoping for Colchester because I will be there but I will be happy that it is all done and dusted before the last day of the season. Nobody that has followed Argo deserves that this season, I know you don't follow Argo for the glory, but please don't make us wait to the last game.

I liked the point made by Chave, I cut my teeth as an Argo fan in the seventies against Pompey as I lived in Southampton at the time, I have always seen them as rivals if only for that, but I feel the Royal Navy might have something to do with it also. I for one would like us both to go up so the rivalry can continue, Good luck Pompey, but not at the expense of us.

Jul 12, 2016
I wish this forecasting hadn't started.Talk about tempting fate.
We are in a very good position but there are still 24 points available.Any thing could happen.

Jan 11, 2017
chave":3fegpki4 said:
Pompey fan here.

I think for most of our fans, Plymouth have become our de facto rivals purely because we're the best teams left in this league after last year, and the last four games between us have been extremely eventful. After four years in League 2, clubs that we've never cared about before have become stereotypes (Newport are cloggers, Wycombe timewaste, Stanley are plucky, Orient are underachievers), and your stereotype is our rival who gets the better of us. If the last year was a Hollywood movie about Pompey, you'd be the main bad guys.

I must admit, when the fixtures were announced at the start of the year, I hoped we'd clinch promotion against you. More than anything, though, I'd be happy for us both to go up so we can continue the "rivalry" next year. Football's always more interesting when there's a few years of backstory.

Admin please can we have a like button installed just for this post!

Oct 6, 2005
Winchester
PL2 3DQ":nujde4jt said:
The 2.30pm kick-off makes this interesting and awkward.
Promotion might be decided on other results on Good Friday meaning we'll have to wait 30 minutes to confirm.
If this is the case will Argyle fans be allowed to stay in the stadium to celebrate and will the players come back out to join in the celebrations?
Good point Ian, if that is the case would they let argyle fans without tickets into the ground after the game to join the celebrations? I remember hearing years ago Luton letting thousands of Sunderland fans in to celebrate promotion after the match.

Mar 18, 2006
Could well be now. Even if we don't win that one , results could still go our way and send us up .

Aug 14, 2015
well it is looking like a possibility for you..of course though there are 2 games before we meet- a possible 6 points that takes Pompey to 74. If Stevenage lose to both Barnet and Colchester in next two games, we have 12 points on them with 3 games/9 points left...hmm ..and Blackpool and Luton who are both on 60 now, play each other next week, so if they draw and then lose thier next games..we will be 13 ahead of the with 12 to play. So we could also go up at the same game..Ive been a Pompey fan for over 40 years, so know it will not pan out..but straws and clutching..well done on the Donny win

May 22, 2006
It's going to be a strange afternoon.

A win itself guarantees nothing. However if we better Luton's and Stevenage's results then it's over.

However, as others have pointed out, we kick-off half an hour before everyone else. So there'll be a tense period of waiting while the final scores come in. Maybe some will be in their car, or on the train home, when they find out we've done it. Will Pompey allow us to stay at Fratton Park for all that extra time?

Nov 4, 2012
It's simple. We have to better Luton's result and equal Stevenage's result. No other teams can mathematically catch us. Unfortunately Luton and Stevenage both have home bankers against Orient and Morecambe so it's unlikely we will go up on Friday. Let's hope Massey has another blinder.