Promotion sealed at Pompey!! | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Promotion sealed at Pompey!!

Aug 10, 2006
funny how pompey only sold out there home games in the prem when they were playing the big boys.

Mar 8, 2016
1898":2ot1ke08 said:
Ghost":2ot1ke08 said:
Guiri Green":2ot1ke08 said:
jerryatricjanner":2ot1ke08 said:
Funny how they have reappeared now that promotion is looking odds on for them again. It all went very quiet while it was looking unlikely they would make the top 3. Anyway, as it now looks like they could well pip us for 2nd place I guess we will have to put up with it again.

Standard Pompeyite I'm afraid. From my experience, big themselves up if the Spotlights on them and things are going well, remain quietly in the shadows if not.
They ALL say they don't care about us, yet every time I mention Argyle on my twitter account I always get Portsmouth fans replying how much better they are than us and get HUUUGE (yawn) crowds every week. If their home crowd is so big and intimidating, how come they've lost about 15 home games in the last two years?

I've come to the conclusion that they are taking such a big interest in us because they are being totally overwhelmed and overshadowed by the other South coast teams. Saints, Bournemouth and very soon to be Brighton are all going to be playing in the Premier League next season. Portsmouth will get promotion this season and nobody will care. It'll all be about Brighton. That will p1ss 'em off no end.
Can you imagine the South coast BBC local news program that is on at the same time as Spotlight. They'll be 4th in the pecking order. Oooh, that's gonna hurt.

They're turning their attention on Argyle because they've gone from Billy big bollox to Sammy small time.

The typical South coast sports headlines next season will be: 'Super Saints secure win against Liverpool' 'Battling Brighton earn draw at Arsenal' 'Brave Bournemouth narrowly lose at Old Trafford'...................oh and Portsmouth lose at home to Milton Keynes.

And Plymouth aren't even mentioned at all. Seemingly irrelevant for years now. But maybe the EFL's "best manager" (by his own accounts) will get you noticed next year in League 1. We'll finish above your tinpot club this season too.

It wasn't by his own account at all, Steve Evans claimed he said it, so I guess it must be true eh. Tinpot club? So tinpot you feel the need to come on our message board and spout off? Out of interest do you Get many argyle fans on your message boards? Because a fair few of Portsmouth fans seem to take quite an interest in this one, considering we are so "tinpot"

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
1898":19zrdqum said:
Ghost":19zrdqum said:
Guiri Green":19zrdqum said:
jerryatricjanner":19zrdqum said:
Funny how they have reappeared now that promotion is looking odds on for them again. It all went very quiet while it was looking unlikely they would make the top 3. Anyway, as it now looks like they could well pip us for 2nd place I guess we will have to put up with it again.

Standard Pompeyite I'm afraid. From my experience, big themselves up if the Spotlights on them and things are going well, remain quietly in the shadows if not.
They ALL say they don't care about us, yet every time I mention Argyle on my twitter account I always get Portsmouth fans replying how much better they are than us and get HUUUGE (yawn) crowds every week. If their home crowd is so big and intimidating, how come they've lost about 15 home games in the last two years?

I've come to the conclusion that they are taking such a big interest in us because they are being totally overwhelmed and overshadowed by the other South coast teams. Saints, Bournemouth and very soon to be Brighton are all going to be playing in the Premier League next season. Portsmouth will get promotion this season and nobody will care. It'll all be about Brighton. That will p1ss 'em off no end.
Can you imagine the South coast BBC local news program that is on at the same time as Spotlight. They'll be 4th in the pecking order. Oooh, that's gonna hurt.

They're turning their attention on Argyle because they've gone from Billy big bollox to Sammy small time.

The typical South coast sports headlines next season will be: 'Super Saints secure win against Liverpool' 'Battling Brighton earn draw at Arsenal' 'Brave Bournemouth narrowly lose at Old Trafford'...................oh and Portsmouth lose at home to Milton Keynes.

And Plymouth aren't even mentioned at all. Seemingly irrelevant for years now. But maybe the EFL's "best manager" (by his own accounts) will get you noticed next year in League 1. We'll finish above your tinpot club this season too.
deep down you know paul cook isn't the answer for your club though don't you?

Feb 18, 2009
Plymouth
1898":229cw4ii said:

Why would Plymouth be mentioned in a 'SOUTH COAST' sports headline? We're South West pal.

FYI South coast covers the Premier League's very own Bournemouth, Brighton and Southampton.......................................oh yeah, portsmouth and weymouth as well.

Mar 14, 2009
:facepalm: Twitter The most rational people on people earth :funny:

I think Twitter is good for sports headlines from Argyle, BBC or Sky. Its good to hear information this way.

However, in the hands of, lets call them normal people for the sake of it, it is an absolute classless social media.

People have forgotten how to have good natured banter and now its full on abuse. That's it. From high social ecstasy to personal, dumb witted attacks. People just cant control their emotions when using a phone, tablet or keyboard in todays society on twitter. I'm sure there are many exceptions when this isn't true but for from I've seen its "type first and think later" type of attitude. When some of these idiots do get confronted in the public domain they are shamed and humiliated.

Its the same with Facebook.

I don't mind other Portsmouth or any other football fan opinion on here because its always good to get a balanced view. However, now they are fully behind their team I do wonder how many weren't bothered about Argyle because they were too busy posting calling for their managers head? Its amazing the turn around. He is a good manager. I notice when they lost to Crewe they had over 20 shots but just couldn't find the net. He has a solid foundation at the back and from what I've seen the problem has been the cutting edge. Now it seems they have found it.

Personally I'd like to see Portsmouth go up because they play decent football. Last season in the playoff semi's both games were very tight. However, like all clubs when we won I think some of our fans showed no class in the way we acted at the end of the game. I must of admit I was too happy because we won the game that I forgot they were even there. However there are fans I feel who just go to the game for this. Every club has its numpties and I think it a shame there is that bad feeling still remaining from last season.

For Pompey, when they do go up (I feel they will finish second) I dare say we will get a few lording it over us until our fate has been decided. However, I really don't care. I don't hate Pompey.

I just want Argyle to go up this season.

Mar 8, 2011
Plymouth
Metal_Green_Mickey":xev6267q said:
:facepalm: Twitter The most rational people on people earth :funny:

I think Twitter is good for sports headlines from Argyle, BBC or Sky. Its good to hear information this way.

However, in the hands of, lets call them normal people for the sake of it, it is an absolute classless social media.

People have forgotten how to have good natured banter and now its full on abuse. That's it. From high social ecstasy to personal, dumb witted attacks. People just cant control their emotions when using a phone, tablet or keyboard in todays society on twitter. I'm sure there are many exceptions when this isn't true but for from I've seen its "type first and think later" type of attitude. When some of these idiots do get confronted in the public domain they are shamed and humiliated.

Its the same with Facebook.

I don't mind other Portsmouth or any other football fan opinion on here because its always good to get a balanced view. However, now they are fully behind their team I do wonder how many weren't bothered about Argyle because they were too busy posting calling for their managers head? Its amazing the turn around. He is a good manager. I notice when they lost to Crewe they had over 20 shots but just couldn't find the net. He has a solid foundation at the back and from what I've seen the problem has been the cutting edge. Now it seems they have found it.

Personally I'd like to see Portsmouth go up because they play decent football. Last season in the playoff semi's both games were very tight. However, like all clubs when we won I think some of our fans showed no class in the way we acted at the end of the game. I must of admit I was too happy because we won the game that I forgot they were even there. However there are fans I feel who just go to the game for this. Every club has its numpties and I think it a shame there is that bad feeling still remaining from last season.

For Pompey, when they do go up (I feel they will finish second) I dare say we will get a few lording it over us until our fate has been decided. However, I really don't care. I don't hate Pompey.

I just want Argyle to go up this season.
:iagree:

Aug 14, 2015
I am not quite sure why my statement got such a level of abuse..All i am saying is that we are 150 miles apart ..so questioned why promotion at Pompey should be particularly exciting..Personally i am hoping we will clinch it at Mansfield..because i am going..nothing more.
I used to like argyle a lot and go along but the vitriol Pompey get changes that..Unlike Exeter, whom we had a great time traveling home from FP, sharing beer and singing together..and they had beat us

Jan 12, 2009
We hate Pompey, we hate Pompey, we hate Pompey, we hate Pompey.

Go back to your own forums and have a nice chat with the Exeter fans, bye bye

Mar 8, 2016
ford hill POMPEY fan":1l40caza said:
I am not quite sure why my statement got such a level of abuse..All i am saying is that we are 150 miles apart ..so questioned why promotion at Pompey should be particularly exciting..Personally i am hoping we will clinch it at Mansfield..because i am going..nothing more.
I used to like argyle a lot and go along but the vitriol Pompey get changes that..Unlike Exeter, whom we had a great time traveling home from FP, sharing beer and singing together..and they had beat us

Sharing beers and signing with Exeter fans? After you lost....to Exeter city? That's just weird.

Mar 14, 2009
ford hill POMPEY fan":3mqkeww8 said:

Do you see them as a threat? Ones that could realistically challenge your club over many seasons? To me, you both have different ambitions in the short & long term. They can never match your financial power with players wage.

It's the same with us and Torquay or even Yeovil. Decent community clubs, where you can integrate with the fans. Yeovil beat us recently. Yet it was more to do with Yeovil being a poor side that people were bothered about, than us losing to any sort of local rival.

Apr 15, 2016
It's so funny, the Pompey fans don't care about us so much that every single time they play us, they have to kind of force that message over and over back into their own narcissistic egos to make themselves feel big again.

Your South Coast rivals have moved on from you. You're irrelevant to them now and it's going to be a long time before you're relevant again. We are poo, you are poo, we've both been in this shitheap for a while and both have a chance of starting a bit of progress this year. We're clubs going in the same direction at a similar pace and we'll be seeing a lot more of each other in the coming seasons. Accept it and get over yourselves.

Geography isn't the only reason for rivalry. We've had mini rivalries with Luton and QPR in similar campaigns. You're not famous anymore so stop being so entitled.

In true keegan style I would love it if they fudged up this year.

chave

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Mar 15, 2017
Pompey fan here.

I think for most of our fans, Plymouth have become our de facto rivals purely because we're the best teams left in this league after last year, and the last four games between us have been extremely eventful. After four years in League 2, clubs that we've never cared about before have become stereotypes (Newport are cloggers, Wycombe timewaste, Stanley are plucky, Orient are underachievers), and your stereotype is our rival who gets the better of us. If the last year was a Hollywood movie about Pompey, you'd be the main bad guys.

I must admit, when the fixtures were announced at the start of the year, I hoped we'd clinch promotion against you. More than anything, though, I'd be happy for us both to go up so we can continue the "rivalry" next year. Football's always more interesting when there's a few years of backstory.

May 16, 2016
chave":2wy2vmhs said:
Pompey fan here.

I think for most of our fans, Plymouth have become our de facto rivals purely because we're the best teams left in this league after last year, and the last four games between us have been extremely eventful. After four years in League 2, clubs that we've never cared about before have become stereotypes (Newport are cloggers, Wycombe timewaste, Stanley are plucky, Orient are underachievers), and your stereotype is our rival who gets the better of us. If the last year was a Hollywood movie about Pompey, you'd be the main bad guys.

I must admit, when the fixtures were announced at the start of the year, I hoped we'd clinch promotion against you. More than anything, though, I'd be happy for us both to go up so we can continue the "rivalry" next year. Football's always more interesting when there's a few years of backstory.

Good post. The TV Company must think the same way, as our games have bought us both extra revenue over the years. Unfortunately for yourselves, you've not bounced back as dramatically and quickly as perhaps some of your fans predicted or Sports copywriters would have hoped. It can take a while for some big Clubs to realise just how bad things have got and for just where they are to sink in (Coventry possibly the next example). Once that happens, as it has with you, success is just relative, 3 points against Accrington are more important than hoping for a draw at Arsenal.

We've obviously never reached your heights and our fall from grace not as dramatic, but pretty much share the sentiment. I'm sure there's still fans of both our teams that still believe we're too good for this league and being this low still hasn't sunk in. I hope we both go up (but wont worry if you dont), it'll provide us both with the yardstick to compare progression.

Pompey need to go up soon before the great support begins to dwindle, the longer you stay in a league the greater the loss of novelty factor for everyone else. Interest in you will wane and you'd become just another L2 Club. Quite probably, next season Channel 5 will have a love in with Coventry and not you ;)

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The 2.30pm kick-off makes this interesting and awkward.
Promotion might be decided on other results on Good Friday meaning we'll have to wait 30 minutes to confirm.
If this is the case will Argyle fans be allowed to stay in the stadium to celebrate and will the players come back out to join in the celebrations?