Next season's squad (merged x 9) | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Next season's squad (merged x 9)

Feb 28, 2016
Knibbsworth":2pufbeot said:
KEEP:
McCormick, Bradley, Threlkeld, Fox, Songo'o, Sarcevic, Carey, Slew, Jervis, Spencer, Taylor.
PASS:
Miller, Bulvitis, Sawyer, Ijaha, Donaldson, Dorel, McCallum.
UNSURE:
Sokolik, Smith, Blissett, Brunt, Rooney.

In my humble opinion.

Pretty much agree with the bulk of that, personally I would put McCallum in "Keep" and switch Songo'o and Rooney.

I'm not going to try claim his time at Hartlepool has looked to be extremely successful or anything, just I want to be absolutely certain he's not going to make it. Lets see if he can have his breakthrough season as Purrington did this season (who IIRC is the year above him) so if it were to happen it would be at the same point in their development, even if it means we have to try and find him a half or even full season loan at L2 level. I would be reluctant to let him go just yet unless there was a problem with his attitude and I don't think we will ever have to worry about that. That said I do think Adams will release him.

As to Pele10s point about apprentices I think it likely we will see some offered deals, probably Fletcher and or Rose but just as a token gesture, will spend a season in the SWPL reserve side and then be quietly dropped without having troubled the bench too much. I mean no disrespect to either of them, my views on them are well known and its not something I would like to see happen. I'm just looking at what has gone before them. I think if anything it will be more about their luck than their ability, they've just got to keep their heads down in the reserves and hope for a player shortage in their position happens outside the loan window, then really hit the ground running .

I don't think Adams is interested in youth development (in this context I say that as an observation not a criticism.) If the loan rules hadn't of changed this season I don't think Purrington would have got his run, he would maybe have got a game or two until they could get some kid in from another club and probably be looking for another club now. If it wasn't for the luck of that run and the coinciding with the Liverpool games on the telly, he probably wouldn't have been sat on a 3-4 year deal at a club in L1, on more money either.

So for me its luck because any starts they get will be given (as I believe Bens were) reluctantly.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Presumably though MM, Songo'o has played enough matches to trigger a renewal offer so if he hasn't a better offer he will be with us next season.

Feb 28, 2016
cheshiregreen":23ui5dmx said:
Presumably though MM, Songo'o has played enough matches to trigger a renewal offer so if he hasn't a better offer he will be with us next season.

Well last season there were only something like four of them with trigger clauses wasn't there? All were made public who had them as well. Carey and Sawyer are the only two I can remember off the top of my head. Unless I've missed something where its been reported who's got them I would hazard a guess: Carey, Goodwillie and Osborne had them but would be surprised if many others did.

Pretty sure I read in the Indy today they weren't sure on who had triggers. Could well be wrong on that as well though!

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
MarkMatthews":35j2n3kj said:
Knibbsworth":35j2n3kj said:
KEEP:
McCormick, Bradley, Threlkeld, Fox, Songo'o, Sarcevic, Carey, Slew, Jervis, Spencer, Taylor.
PASS:
UNSURE:

In my humble opinion.

Pretty much agree with the bulk of that, personally I would put McCallum in "Keep" and switch Songo'o and Rooney.

I'm not going to try claim his time at Hartlepool has looked to be extremely successful or anything, just I want to be absolutely certain he's not going to make it. Lets see if he can have his breakthrough season as Purrington did this season (who IIRC is the year above him) so if it were to happen it would be at the same point in their development, even if it means we have to try and find him a half or even full season loan at L2 level. I would be reluctant to let him go just yet unless there was a problem with his attitude and I don't think we will ever have to worry about that. That said I do think Adams will release him.

As to Pele10s point about apprentices I think it likely we will see some offered deals, probably Fletcher and or Rose but just as a token gesture, will spend a season in the SWPL reserve side and then be quietly dropped without having troubled the bench too much. I mean no disrespect to either of them, my views on them are well known and its not something I would like to see happen. I'm just looking at what has gone before them. I think if anything it will be more about their luck than their ability, they've just got to keep their heads down in the reserves and hope for a player shortage in their position happens outside the loan window, then really hit the ground running .

I don't think Adams is interested in youth development (in this context I say that as an observation not a criticism.) If the loan rules hadn't of changed this season I don't think Purrington would have got his run, he would maybe have got a game or two until they could get some kid in from another club and probably be looking for another club now. If it wasn't for the luck of that run and the coinciding with the Liverpool games on the telly, he probably wouldn't have been sat on a 3-4 year deal at a club in L1, on more money either.

So for me its luck because any starts they get will be given (as I believe Bens were) reluctantly.
I think that's being a bit hard on Ben. Firstly John Sheridan showed faith in him and latterly Derek Adams. I don't think there's been any reluctance from anyone.

Feb 28, 2016
Keepitgreen":3xzp3xsa said:
MarkMatthews":3xzp3xsa said:
Knibbsworth":3xzp3xsa said:
KEEP:
PASS:
UNSURE:

In my humble opinion.

I think that's being a bit hard on Ben. Firstly John Sheridan showed faith in him and latterly Derek Adams. I don't think there's been any reluctance from anyone.

First and foremost, sorry for not being able to cut the length of quote down to the relevant part and thank you KIG for reading to the end of my post.

Sorry if my post reads as being hard on Ben. No one was a bigger cheerleader for Ben than me, my support for Ben Purrington being given chances, long pre-dated my joining PASOTI. I was arguing for him, long before it became fashionable to, on Facebook, Twitter, Argyle Life projects and any platform I could, (which would probably include my early posts on here.)Every time I used to see him, my heart sank when reading his body language. I often used to describe him as the " most undervalued and underappreciated player, I have seen in 20 years supporting this club," both from the fans and management. I still argue for him now after it has gone out of fashion.

No one from what I can see, argued his case on why he might want to sign for Rotherham more than me, no one has been happier or more supportive of his move there than me.

That considered, look at his now public comments about, not feeling wanted, not feeling there was "any attempt" to try and keep and keep him. Think back to Adams dropping him, after he took his chance so emphatically against Exeter City in the St Johnston's Paint. Sawyer had been suspended Ben more than did the job, dropped the very next game away to Notts County!

Under Sheridan, a manager who (and I was one of, his fiercest critics, for not giving our young players a chance) afforded many more opportunities to youth than Adams! Ben was overlooked when back to fitness by the attempt to resign Kellett. I understand that Andy was a phenomenal player but when we couldn't sign him? Sign THD?! That was an insult! Under Adams, Ben was stripped of his Number 3 squad number, squad numbers don't mean much nowadays but retain some symbolism. To strip your promising up and coming LB of the number 3, for a 30 year old, on the slide, was an insult.

It is my opinion Ben not feeling wanted here predates Adams but the situation under him did not change. I'm not being hard on BP, in fact as always I pay testament to: his character, his patience, his professionalism and his luck. Sheridan did overlook him, as did Adams last season. What were Adams realistic, viable alternatives this time, after Sawyer got injured outside the loan window? Nothing but begrudgingly give the boy a go!

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Keepitgreen":11e4ist3 said:
MarkMatthews":11e4ist3 said:
Knibbsworth":11e4ist3 said:
KEEP:
PASS:
UNSURE:

In my humble opinion.

Bob until Gary Sawyer got injured I don't think Purrington had that many opportunities under Adams.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Retain:
Carey, McCormick, Bradley, Fox, Sokolik, Threlkeld, Jervis, Sarcevic, Taylor, Smith, Blissett, Spencer, Kennedy, Rooney.

Release:
Miller, Sawyer, Bulvitis, Songo'o, Slew, Donaldson, Garita, Tanner, Ijaha, Brunt.

No idea about the spare keepers.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":snxc6eze said:
Retain:
Carey, McCormick, Bradley, Fox, Sokolik, Threlkeld, Jervis, Sarcevic, Taylor, Smith, Blissett, Spencer, Kennedy, Rooney.

Release:
Miller, Sawyer, Bulvitis, Songo'o, Slew, Donaldson, Garita, Tanner, Ijaha, Brunt.

Garita, Kennedy and Tanner only on loan anyway.

Nov 7, 2012
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":xzc6xujg said:
Retain:

Release:

This but release Smith and Spencer, maybe Rooney to.

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
dunlop":3swdb3zb said:
Keepitgreen":3swdb3zb said:
MarkMatthews":3swdb3zb said:
Knibbsworth":3swdb3zb said:
KEEP:
PASS:
UNSURE:

In my humble opinion.

Bob until Gary Sawyer got injured I don't think Purrington had that many opportunities under Adams.
16 total appearances last season. Gary Sawyer was always going to be first choice. All I'm saying is that both managers had faith in him and he was even used in other positions. 64 appearances for us isn't too bad considering he's a left back and wasn't first choice.

Apr 1, 2009
People bang on about release X and release Y, with many wanting a lot of players released. Yet several of these players may have options that mean we are obliged to continue to employ them unless we want to pay them off - an expensive option if multiple players are involved.

Given that we don't know the contractual situation of so many, much of the speculation on this thread probably means very little.