Next season's squad (merged x 9) | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Next season's squad (merged x 9)

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Laughable reaction to musings, irrespective of timing, on an independent site. Promotion's nailed on in a sizeable minority view, so why remotely off topic?

Btw, what is the 'credit'? Flowers, merch?? Afterall was awfully lame when under a previous promo (01/02?) the best player award went nonsensically to the whole squad!

Mar 8, 2009
Hampshire
Sainghin Green":11tlktg8 said:
Sturrock's run away Div 2 Champions in 2001-2 provided many of the squad which in 2003-4 saw Argyle promoted to the Championship - Larrieu, Friio, Wotton, Worrell, Coughlan, Hodges, Phillips, Adams, Bent, Evans and Keith. Somehow I don't think we are so broadly blessed this time round despite one or two, well at least one 'wee nugget'. So who will still be around this time to see us get there? I just have the feeling that the current squad are giving about as much as they can and that with the exception of Carey, on his day,and perhaps Fox and Bradley, the rest of the team need to be thanked for their heroics this season and wished good luck elsewhere. Too harsh?

I hate posts like this. Just enjoy the last 8 games - every player has his part to play.

Aug 5, 2016
Carey won't be here folks. Can't understand how Tanner can be written off, he's more than played his part for long winning spells, and takes it on the chin each time he gets (unfairly) dropped. Songo'o would be a handy cover player, if perhaps not a starter in the league above. No coincidence we look powderpuff without him.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Gary_Wills":98kv6mc0 said:
Laughable reaction to musings, irrespective of timing, on an independent site. Promotion's nailed on in a sizeable minority view, so why remotely off topic?

Btw, what is the 'credit'? Flowers, merch?? Afterall was awfully lame when under a previous promo (01/02?) the best player award went nonsensically to the whole squad!

I'm not talking about awards which is why I didn't say award. There is credit enough for the whole squad to be thought of as better than make weights.

As for the other, it's not guaranteed until t's guaranteed so why upset the mindset of the players. It's my opinion, if you think different than fair play. I've never slagged off an individual and can't see the point of it but each to their own.

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
Think this is a pointless thread at this time, re create in the summer maybe! FWIW thought Miller, for instance, had 2 great games against Liverpool (maybe Prem standard opposition?!!!) and was excellent against Morecombe also, so who knows what his final level might be?...and he is one who seems to be in the firing line! Well remember many thought Wottsy's level was L2, then L1 and (surprise) Champ! This squad could go a long way and don't write anyone off!

Oct 3, 2003
Dundee
Was a conceptual contention not individual, Ade, obvs.

Though was quite individual to go for Milller as MotM in his apparent second Liverpool game. Quality gamesmanship displayed at Anfield if so ;)

Jan 11, 2016
The point of the original post was just to see what people thought about the potential of the current squad to take things forward. Implicit in the post was an assumption that this group of players will gain promotion and achieve a special place in Argyle history along with those who secured the other eight promotions in the club's long history. It was not meant to undermine any of this outcome. That can be left to the regular dissection of the team's individual and collective frailties in the Brief Synopses. If I was a player I think I would know what I needed to do to improve and I would be fully committed to proving I had a role to play now and in the future. I certainly wouldn't bother reading Pasoti to help me assess my potential or rate my performance.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Sainghin Green":1i5dg8tl said:
The point of the original post was just to see what people thought about the potential of the current squad to take things forward. Implicit in the post was an assumption that this group of players will gain promotion and achieve a special place in Argyle history along with those who secured the other eight promotions in the club's long history. It was not meant to undermine any of this outcome. That can be left to the regular dissection of the team's individual and collective frailties in the Brief Synopses. If I was a player I think I would know what I needed to do to improve and I would be fully committed to proving I had a role to play now and in the future. I certainly wouldn't bother reading Pasoti to help me assess my potential or rate my performance.

This squad has shown it can compete with the best teams in this league, it is those at the bottom that we struggle with. Therefore I don't see how people can say Tom, Dick or Harry aren't good enough for the league above.

Until given a chance we simply do not know. After all, who'd have thought that they would have put up such a performance against Liverpool over two legs? I don't think this lays entirely at DA's door but this team seems to struggle in games that we are "expected" to win. in L1 those will be fewer in number so hopefully the players raise their game and if that is the case I don't think there needs to be a massive overhaul.

Apr 1, 2009
harbourgreen":1sc2gj9s said:
Think this is a pointless thread at this time, re create in the summer maybe! FWIW thought Miller, for instance, had 2 great games against Liverpool (maybe Prem standard opposition?!!!) and was excellent against Morecombe also, so who knows what his final level might be?...and he is one who seems to be in the firing line! Well remember many thought Wottsy's level was L2, then L1 and (surprise) Champ! This squad could go a long way and don't write anyone off!

Miller had 2 great games against Liverpool? He didn't - as he didn't play in the home tie after being injured at Anfield.

Aug 5, 2016
harbourgreen":2lz892w5 said:

By "two great games against Prem quality Liverpool", I assume you mean about seventy minutes of one - and those were before Lallana and Firminho came on.

Miller is too slow for what will be required in League One, where intensity is ratcheted up a notch. We burrowed as deep as badgers at Anfield - if Liverpool beat one man they were never far away from another. The team unit was solid and Miller was simply a cog in that. He didn't let us down, far from it, but he was not exactly exceptional either. It was a team performance. But we will not have 46 park the bus game plans like that in League One.

With bigger pitch space to attack and faster countering opponents, Miller is a concern. He's not even the best RB at the club now, and we have Oscar Threlkeld starring in three different positions. We need players to match Threlkeld's quality, energy and tenacity in the positions he plays so we can have options - sadly that means leaving the likes of Miller and perhaps Sawyer behind if we are to progress.

Jan 6, 2017
Plymouth
It's a bit early to be talking about life in League One, but seeing as you started it...

KEEP:
23. McCormick
4. Songo'o
6. Smith
7. Sarcevic
9. Spencer
10. Carey
13. Blissett
14. Jervis
15. Bradley
17. Brunt
18. Threlkeld
19. Taylor
24. Fox
25. McCallum
31. Sokolik

RELEASE:
2. Miller
3. Sawyer
5. Bulvitis
8. Slew
11. Donaldson
16. Kennedy (back to Cardiff)
20. Rooney
21. Dorel
22. Ijaha
26. Garita (back to Bristol City)
27. Tanner (back to Reading)
28. Bentley

We will basically need to replace each player released with ones of better quality!

Goalkeeper (decent)
1 x Right Back
2 x Left Back
1 x Centre Back (to partner Bradley)
1 x Centre Mid
2 x Wingers
2 x Strikers

Mar 14, 2009
Whatever league we are in l think he lose the people who haven't played enough games. Bulvitus & Ijaha for example. Tanner, as long as we are in league one, l don't think will be signed up. Garita will be sent back to Bristol and Kennedy to Cardiff.

Sawyer will be out of contract so l imagine will be released.

However, Miller, Donaldson, Slew etc....lm having a hunch will be here next season. Why? I assume they will be on a year rolling contact where if they played enough games, the players (or the club) can trigger an extra year. I doubt Miller, Slew or Donaldson would have come down here in the first place had that kind of option not been in place.

So l reckon there won't be as many changes as people will like, or think there should be.