Next season's squad (merged x 9) | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Next season's squad (merged x 9)

Aug 5, 2016
KEEP:
McCormick, Bradley, Threlkeld, Fox, Songo'o, Sarcevic, Carey, Slew, Jervis, Spencer, Taylor.
PASS:
Miller, Bulvitis, Sawyer, Ijaha, Donaldson, Dorel, McCallum.
UNSURE:
Sokolik, Smith, Blissett, Brunt, Rooney.

In my humble opinion.

Apr 4, 2015
Keep.
Dorel, Bradley, Oscar, Fox, Sarcevic, Carey, Jervis, Taylor, Smith, Blissett, Rooney

Replace.
Mccormick, Spencer, Miller, Sawyer, Donaldson

Unsure.
Songo'o, Slew, Bulvitis, Mccallum, Ijaha, Sokolik, Brunt.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
freddie2greens":356242xe said:
Keep.
Dorel, Bradley, Oscar, Fox, Sarcevic, Carey, Jervis, Taylor, Smith, Blissett, Rooney

Replace.
Mccormick, Spencer, Miller, Sawyer, Donaldson

Unsure.
Songo'o, Slew, Bulvitis, Mccallum, Ijaha, Sokolik, Brunt.

I'm not saying Dorel is a poor keeper, to be honest I have no idea what he's like, but I'm not sure how you can justify releasing McCormick and retaining Dorel when Dorel hasn't been able to unseat McCormick in almost a season and a half.

Jan 15, 2017
To me Sawyer has been a model professional. Come back after injury and has been a very steady part of the team. Very solid if not spectacular (not many have been). Deserves to be part of our squad next season.

Aug 5, 2016
BudeGreen73":1a8zsvso said:
To me Sawyer has been a model professional. Come back after injury and has been a very steady part of the team. Very solid if not spectacular (not many have been). Deserves to be part of our squad next season.

No room for sentiment. Same with Brunt. Two model professionals, but they have to prove they are capable of being what DA requires in the league above. Sadly for Sawyer, Purrington brought a fresh sense of energy, pace, overlapping attacking intent and a reminder that better quality attacking full backs are out there. However DA has told us many times that he values Sawyer's experience, seniority and stability at the back, or at least he did when he emphasised those qualities that Sawyer brought to a "young" back four (himself, Mellor, Nelson and Hartley). As for Brunt, if he proves that he s still the player he was, I'm sure he'll get a new contract, but it's a big question. We'd all love to see a fit and firing Brunt back in our forward line.

Jan 11, 2017
Keep:
Carey
Jervis
Fox
Taylor
Threlkeld
Bradley
Sarcevic
McCormick
Dorel
Tanner (Try and sign him)
Brunt (Needs to be given a chance)
Blissett (Needs to be given a chance)

Jul 3, 2013
Its no coincidence that we have conceded far less goals and kept a ridiculously more amount of clean sheets with Miller in the team yet he gets slated. We also have a squad that is probably more suited to a division where more football and less bullying takes place like league 1. I haven't read every single post but the one saying we should keep Blisett yet get rid of songo and miller.........not just ridiculous but plain stupid.

lipsonlad67

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 17, 2016
Deepest Lincolnshire
Stiffler":1msfe8iq said:
Its no coincidence that we have conceded far less goals and kept a ridiculously more amount of clean sheets with Miller in the team yet he gets slated. We also have a squad that is probably more suited to a division where more football and less bullying takes place like league 1. I haven't read every single post but the one saying we should keep Blisett yet get rid of songo and miller.........not just ridiculous but plain stupid.

Mmm. Not sure so sure about Miller myself now. Wrote him off early in the season as he looked seriously off the pace and didn't seem to offer much, other than appearing to be a weak link for the opposition to exploit.
BUT, we have consistently kept the goals conceded down when he plays and even though he has never looked anywhere near stunning he does invariably stick to the basics and does his job. There's almost a parellel between Gary Miller being in the team and Argyle's league position : there being lots of reservations about their respective qualities but both ultimately are getting the job done.

Jul 18, 2011
Defenders are there to help not concede and that (despite the experts opinion on PASOTI) is what Miller does.

Fortunately Adams does seem to know what he is doing.

Feb 21, 2011
Stiffler":2v4jfytf said:
Seems getting the job done like Songo and Miller is not sexy, rather the enthusiastic but misses the odd tackle Oscar and always looks knackered Sarcevic, personally I'd keep pretty much everyone with the exceptions of Ijaha, Bulvitis and Slew. In reality we'll struggle to keep Carey and I would guess plenty will be after Bradley Jervis and to a lesser extent Fox due to his age, McCormick is still quality at this level and Dorel adequate back up. Up top we need a goal scorer to play off the capable Spencer or Taylor. Jury's out on Brunty will he come back in time this season to stake a claim of the loanees only Kennedy would interest me and the chances are nil, the bulk of this squad could play in L1 just a bit of tinkering rather than wholesale slash and burn in my view.

Apr 30, 2011
BudeGreen73":2fb67eph said:

Totally agree. I don't see how we could get a better 2nd choice left back. Maybe we would need another LB as first choice but Sawyer would deserve a place in the squad all day long. I can't believe how anyone would think different.

Jan 12, 2009
Out of the current lot who is good enough and who do you think we need to sign and move on.

Keepers - Luke has been solid all season, definitely good enough for league one, Dorel and McCallum I don't know a lot about.

Right back - Oscar for me is our best right back, miller can provide back up, keep both.

Left back - I'm not sure sawyer is good enough for league one, maybe back up but we need a new left back.

Centre backs - Bradley is our best centre back, has to stay, Sokolic has been promising, keep. Not sure what's happened to Bulvitis but move him on, Songo I would again keep as back up as can play in midfield also, useful sub.

Centre Midfield - Iv been impressed with Sarcevic, keep, Fox has been outstanding and hopefully has another year in him at that level. Connor smith I like, don't think we have seen the best of him yet, keep. Not a fan of Donaldson, works hard but move him on for me. Not seen much of Ijaha, move him on. I'd like to see us sign a couple more centre mids.

Wingers - I'm not sure slew is good enough for league one, maybe keep him as a sub, if not move on. Jervis I would keep, Kennedy will go back to Cardiff, we need to sign a few wingers for sure.

Number 10/hole - Carey is a keep all day, hopefully he stays. Tanner will go back to reading. Would like to see him back but can't see it, not even making the squad lately. Need to sign a back up.

Forwards - Taylor is a keep, he's been signed to play in league one, Spencer/Blissett I'm unsure on, are they good enough for league one, will they score enough goals? Garita will leave, Brunt when fit is good enough in my opinion, be interesting see what Derek does with him. Rooney is useful back up. Need a new forward proven in that league.

Summary - We have a brilliant team spirit and togetherness so we have to be careful not to lose that completely.

A quality left back is a must and I'd like to see us sign a new centre half, pacey to compliment Bradley. (Curtis nelson mould)

I feel we need another central midfielder, a box to box player to compete with sarcevic and fox to start and a backup to replace Donaldson.

We need a left winger, someone like Kennedy, pacey and skilful, I liked the Stevenage winger Pett.

And I'd like to see us sign a new striker, proven in league one hopefully, if not I'd take a gamble on Akinde at Barnet.

Thoughts on what you think, who would u keep, move on and sign?

Jan 20, 2005
Plymouth, Devon
Sorry to be a spoilsport but I am one of those who still has the Wembley hangover; can we have a thread like this when/if the 'p' word is confirmed? :angel: