Is Derek the right manager? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Derek the right manager?

Oct 5, 2003
Devon
Speaking of physicality, did anyone watch the Hyde v McDons game on BBC? The athletic difference was stark, with the full time players being generally taller and more muscular. It is no wonder that younger players find it hard to break in to first team football unless they have the physical attributes.

Flagman

🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪🇮🇪
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Oct 16, 2003
Leixlip, Co. Kildare, Ireland
Sorry if I upset a few people.
I'm more of a lurker these days rather than a poster.
My initial post was to encourage debate.
DA has turned things around somewhat, although we're far from where I thought or hoped we would be at the start of the season.
The poor displays last season resulted in wins, the sign of a good team some might say.
That's just not happened this year. Which is concerning as we would like to see our team put on a performance as well as win matches.
There are plenty of positives to DA, but also a few negatives. Would be nice to tease them out and listen to other viewpoints. After all that's what this forum is about, right?

Feb 28, 2016
Knibbsworth":1e4ys3yk said:
MarkMatthews":1e4ys3yk said:
HC Green":1e4ys3yk said:
MarkMatthews":1e4ys3yk said:
No! Hope he is gone as soon as possible. Out of work managers who would want the job and we could afford, Stan Ternent and Lennie Lawrence the top of my list until the end of the season at least. Too much talent lost under his complete lack of skills at being able to develop players, who he himself has taken on, there can be no excuses for that and he needs to go before he does anymore damage to fledgling careers.

In the two and a bit years I struggle to work out what talent has been lost, that wasn’t because of the players own decision to leave.

Ben Steer, Jack Calver, Bill Palfrey, Louis Rooney, Callum Hall, Ryan Lane, Cory Harvey..... Does that jog your memory?

Likely to go the same way, Jordan Bentley, Callum Rose, Alex Battle, Dan Rooney, Aaron Taylor and Sam Ryan.

So it's Derek Adams's fault that 6 young lads a season don't become professionals playing in our first team?

When has this ever happened in the UK at any football club? Thirteen professionals made in two seasons?

Your belief in the quality of our youth players is delusional. A lot of these young players lost to Ivybridge the other night, scrapping at the bottom of the 10th tier of English football. And you seem to have no idea why Derek Adams doesn't drop Sonny Bradley for Callum Rose and the like, all across the pitch.

It is not Derek Adams fault that 6 lads didn't make it. No one, least of all me would expect such a success rate.

What is Derek Adams fault, is not one person from one of our most successful year groups, had a single solitary, substitute appearance. He took those lads on post apprenticeship so it's surely his job as a coach, to develop( players he has further employed) to a level where they are at least squad players within 12 months?! Even if he had only managed it with one or two!

Mike might have said it was a step up, but he more than dealt with it would you not agree? Regardless of weather you think Harvey, Rooney, Young, Allen et al were good enough,surely you would agree they at least held their own whenever their played in that sense? If a game is being played and your team mates are in a lower gear, it's natural to adjust, just as having to find that extra gear when needed is. Comparing Apples and oranges. If you want to go with one off games, Tyler Harvey has proven he can score against good quality League 1 opposition this weekend! Sign him on ?!

Apr 5, 2008
Yes.We are much approved now we are keeping eleven players on the pitch.

However what DA needs is a proper transfer budget in the next window,so he can get in some better quality players.

If James Brent wants to move this club forward then he has got to back the manager with funds.

We are one of the best supported teams in this league so about time it was reflected in the size of the transfer budget given to the manager.

G

Greenskin

Flagman":2z2voagf said:
Sorry if I upset a few people.
I'm more of a lurker these days rather than a poster.
My initial post was to encourage debate.
DA has turned things around somewhat, although we're far from where I thought or hoped we would be at the start of the season.
The poor displays last season resulted in wins, the sign of a good team some might say.
That's just not happened this year. Which is concerning as we would like to see our team put on a performance as well as win matches.
There are plenty of positives to DA, but also a few negatives. Would be nice to tease them out and listen to other viewpoints. After all that's what this forum is about, right?

Given the level and pedigree of a vast majority of pre season signings, which were fairly obviously dictated by other factors than the managers judgement of a player, why would anyone expect anything other than a survival season?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
MarkMatthews":3242p0bb said:
No! Hope he is gone as soon as possible. Out of work managers who would want the job and we could afford, Stan Ternent and Lennie Lawrence the top of my list until the end of the season at least. Too much talent lost under his complete lack of skills at being able to develop players, who he himself has taken on, there can be no excuses for that and he needs to go before he does anymore damage to fledgling careers.

Just seen this... sorry Mark, I feel that you're quickly losing credibility with posts like that.

I understand your attachment to the youth players but to suggest Adams should be fired purely for not developing players is barmy. You don't seem to understand that only a tiny percentage of youth team players will make it at Football League level. That's borne out with the impact of Purrington and Fletcher in the last year or so.

As for Stan Ternent and Lennie Lawrence at the top of your list... you can't be serious, can you? Ternent is in his 70s and last had a job in a failed six-month stint at Gillingham 12 years ago. Lawrence also last managed 12 years ago at Cardiff.

Oct 24, 2013
Biggs":14yxao3a said:
MarkMatthews":14yxao3a said:

Just seen this... sorry Mark, I feel that you're quickly losing credibility with posts like that.

I understand your attachment to the youth players but to suggest Adams should be fired purely for not developing players is barmy. You don't seem to understand that only a tiny percentage of youth team players will make it at Football League level. That's borne out with the impact of Purrington and Fletcher in the last year or so.

As for Stan Ternent and Lennie Lawrence at the top of your list... you can't be serious, can you? Ternent is in his 70s and last had a job in a failed six-month stint at Gillingham 12 years ago. Lawrence also last managed 12 years ago at Cardiff.

Why stop at Ternent and Lawrence? Why not Dave Bassett, Colin Todd, Jim Smith or Ron Atkinson? Or maybe a young, progressive manager like Bruce Rioch or Brian Little?!

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Biggs":1w71j5go said:
MarkMatthews":1w71j5go said:

Mark, how can you expect people to respect your opinions when you come up with suggestions like that about managers?

Like you, I am eager to see our Academy lads progressing but they have to earn their place in the squad. DA has shown by attending non first team games regularly that he is interested in their development and will give them an opportunity at an appropriate stage of their development.

Feb 28, 2016
davie nine":1y1pf7sk said:
Biggs":1y1pf7sk said:
MarkMatthews":1y1pf7sk said:

Mark, how can you expect people to respect your opinions when you come up with suggestions like that about managers?

Like you, I am eager to see our Academy lads progressing but they have to earn their place in the squad. DA has shown by attending non first team games regularly that he is interested in their development and will give them an opportunity at an appropriate stage of their development.

Because both are experienced managers, who have both shown incredible amounts of interest in the Argyle job in the past, so is a good chance both would be happy to take it on a short term basis. Lennie Lawrence has certainly been involved in football since his last job so will still have contacts for January. Lawrence is also SW(ish) based. Then at the end of the season could slot in upstairs to guide a Wotton or a Hargreaves who would be a much more long term vision.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Martyn":1neobmx2 said:
We have had now 6 pages of this rubbish.

And you’ve just contributed, Albeit minutely.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
MarkMatthews":2fhxc678 said:
davie nine":2fhxc678 said:
Biggs":2fhxc678 said:
MarkMatthews":2fhxc678 said:

Because both are experienced managers, who have both shown incredible amounts of interest in the Argyle job in the past, so is a good chance both would be happy to take it on a short term basis. Lennie Lawrence has certainly been involved in football since his last job so will still have contacts for January. Lawrence is also SW(ish) based. Then at the end of the season could slot in upstairs to guide a Wotton or a Hargreaves who would be a much more long term vision.

Whilst we are talking of old codgers still wanting to stay in the game, McMenemy was on Football Focus last Saturday and was able to still talk sense about the game!

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":1h31l5m2 said:
MarkMatthews":1h31l5m2 said:

Chicken and egg though isn't it? I think Mark's argument is that many youth players don't make it because they are not given opportunities to develop their game at a higher level. Certainly true with England players in the Prem.
Re. the original posting I have never been keen on Adams' style of football or his personality but thought he knew how to get results. Seems I was wrong on that too.