Is Derek the right manager? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Derek the right manager?

Jun 1, 2015
Pett, East Sussex
Yes. Whether everyone likes it or not DA is here for the long haul. Even if it means we go back down. I believe this is the right attitude to have. There have been other clubs who have done similar things, granted it's a rarity in football these days, but it all goes hand in hand with the ethos Mr Brent is trying to instill into the clubs. Long, slow organic growth. I fully support that.
Amazing how it worked out for people like Dyche and others who have stayed on board for decent lengths of time through relegations and promotions. Yes the first team is important but it's the club and it's beating heart that is the most important.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
MarkMatthews":wublhy91 said:
Mediocre in Division 4 with so called senior players is exactly where he his heading. The last thing we need is a young and inexperienced (in English third tier, football) manager like Adams. I do wonder what being bottom of division 3 will do for his confidence as well, a relegation could shatter him, therefore it would be best for everyone to sack him now! I would much rather an experienced head like Lawrence or Ternent in charge. English football is a big step up from Scottish and just because he looked good up there doesn't mean he is good enough to manage in England. We are not competitive in Division 3 under Adams that is why we are bottom in November!

If he didn't think he could make pro players out of Fletcher, Bentley and Rose in 12 months, then why did he take them on on one season deals?

I hope if Pl2 decides he wishes to work past retirement age he isn't subjected to the patronising, ageist attitudes he displays to OAPs with his unfunny and unoriginal "banter."

Lawrence and Ternent have had their time, there are several up and coming managers that would do a better job than them, including Derek Adams.

Your promotion of the young players is admirable and knowledgeable, we would all like to see young players coming through but you rarely mention the first team or the young players that have made it to the first team squad. You focus on the negatives rather than the positives.

It's good to see Sangster, Cooper and Fletcher come through this season and let's not forget that Sawyer and McCormick have also progressed through the youth system.
Last season six players who came through the youth system played for the first team and the season before that it was nine players - if you include Walton.

So how about recognising the young players that have progressed?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I despair of people like Flagman who started this thread.

In the last month, we have also had these threads :-

A balanced view on Adams.
Was Adams given 3 games?
Who would you have to replace Adams?

Is it no wonder that, when managers do get an offer to move on, they have to seriously consider it even if they know that they have the support of the club's owners and that they are happy in their work?

Since DA has been here, this is the first run of poor results that he has had but it seems that many supporters have short memories and believe that he should leave.

His achievements to date deserve a lot more respect and patience. We all have our views on the formation that he prefers and the tendency to defend a lead but this has proved successful up to now and, surely, no one can deny that, in our early games, we have had problems with conceding early goals, often by bad luck, uncharacteristic disciplinary issues and injuries to important squad members.

So, the answer to the question is YES, he is the right manager and deserves the opportunity to prove that over a much longer period than some of our 'supporters' seem to believe.

999mattyg

✅ Evergreen
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 13, 2007
Launceston
lyndhurst green":1i7eqi9q said:
My opinion of course, but the presence of yet another thread about DA’s merits just underlines the division currently evident both within the fan base and between the manager (and by extension the club) and a minority of the fans. There is a vocal minority, on here at least, who evidently have made their minds up about our manager and some who perplexingly apparently formed this opinion even as the man delivered a promotion season. People of this opinion won’t be swayed. Which you could call stubbornness, which is ironic given that is a primary reason for their criticism of our manager.

We have had a really poor start to the season, clearly. But the ship is turning around. Matthews looks a really decent keeper for this level, Carey has sorted his head out, Diagouraga has brought composure to the midfield and the players have become more disciplined. Taylor is back shortly.

I would love to see threads like this sit on the back burner and DA be left to do his job.

Agreed. He is our manager for the long haul and the sooner the naysayers realise this the better. Their, minority, sniping and negativity helps no one! Managing is so easy sat in your armchair! Stick to your FIFA and watch a real manager get on with the job!!

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
davie nine":1ahcumhl said:

Was Adams given 3 games?

Despite shouts of the contrary from the usual suspects, this site promotes such threads.

We might not agree with them (I certainly don't) but Flagman has every right to post such a thread.

Let's debate rather than just say 'we shouldn't have threads like this' etc.

Jan 3, 2013
I just wish Adams would stop being so intransigent. His heart is obviously in the right place, and he lives , breathes and eats football. However the bottom line is that draws are not good enough. To guarantee escaping relegation Argo need a minimum of 52 points, we have 11. Ergo we require FOURTEEN wins! Not going to happen unless we change our system of play is it?

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Knarf Reprah":3b895m7k said:
I just wish Adams would stop being so intransigent. His heart is obviously in the right place, and he lives , breathes and eats football. However the bottom line is that draws are not good enough. To guarantee escaping relegation Argo need a minimum of 52 points, we have 11. Ergo we require FOURTEEN wins! Not going to happen unless we change our system of play is it?

W10-D10-L10 might be enough to keep us up.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Is Derek the right manager? If we end up getting relegated with a humiliatingly low points total then no emphatically, if we manage to avoid relegation, whether by one point or more then yes. Do I know if we will end up safe or doomed, I don`t know and neither does anybody else, it`s all opinion, and opinions are like bumholes, everyone has one. Wait and see or act now? who knows which is correct, I don`t. The players appear to dig out blind for him and I would respect their opinion.

Jan 3, 2013
Emu":2w9z7fc3 said:
Knarf Reprah":2w9z7fc3 said:

And we've won How many so far? ......

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
davie nine":zkap11tr said:

Was Adams given 3 games?

Is it no wonder that, when managers do get an offer to move on, they have to seriously consider it even if they know that they have the support of the club's owners and that they are happy in their work?

Since DA has been here, this is the first run of poor results that he has had but it seems that many supporters have short memories and believe that he should leave.

His achievements to date deserve a lot more respect and patience. We all have our views on the formation that he prefers and the tendency to defend a lead but this has proved successful up to now and, surely, no one can deny that, in our early games, we have had problems with conceding early goals, often by bad luck, uncharacteristic disciplinary issues and injuries to important squad members.

So, the answer to the question is YES, he is the right manager and deserves the opportunity to prove that over a much longer period than some of our 'supporters' seem to believe.

In the last week there has been a positive thread about Adams and is to do with his helping out of the Community Trust teams. I don’t think anyone has questioned whether or not his heart is in the right place as no-one questioned Peter Reid when he sold his FA cup medals. What is being questioned is his ability to save us from immediate relegation or not and as we have been bottom since the start of the season it’s fair. As it was fair for Peter Reid and then Carl Fletcher to make way for a better or even different management style etc.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Knarf Reprah":w45njscy said:
Emu":w45njscy said:
Knarf Reprah":w45njscy said:

If you base it on the first 16 matches played, yes it looks bleak, but there are 30 matches to go and turnarounds can happen. Plus we are on a 5 match unbeaten run.

Jan 3, 2013
Emu":1qljbx34 said:
Knarf Reprah":1qljbx34 said:
Emu":1qljbx34 said:
Knarf Reprah":1qljbx34 said:

If you base it on the first 16 matches played, yes it looks bleak, but there are 30 matches to go and turnarounds can happen. Plus we are on a 5 match unbeaten run.
and have won how many of the five?

Oct 24, 2013
IJN":79mw62l1 said:
davie nine":79mw62l1 said:

Was Adams given 3 games?

Despite shouts of the contrary from the usual suspects, this site promotes such threads.

We might not agree with them (I certainly don't) but Flagman has every right to post such a thread.

Let's debate rather than just say 'we shouldn't have threads like this' etc.

Agree to an extent, but this thread started after we won! It seems like a thread likes this starts every Saturday evening/Sunday morning regardless of the most recent result. Do we have to have the debate week in, week out whether we win, lose or draw? Personally, I think not.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
oldage":373vat66 said:
No.His biggest failing is that he is managing Argyle not Man' United or Barcelona.He is a text book manager who will continue with his tactics because this is the modern way to play football.Unfortunately IMO our players are being over coached for this level of football.

That's a strange comment, I would argue the exact opposite.

Defensively we have been very poor with little sign of the calmness which most of the other defences in this league look to have. Our main tactics are to give away a corner or hoof it into the stratosphere.

Midfield is 2 steps forward and 1 step back, with only Carey looking anything like an attacking player, when we do get a man down the line they usually turn and hit it back from where they have just run?

Attack, enough said :sad:

We are also bad at:

Defending corners (We should be the experts with the number we concede, also everyone back just means instead of defending one ball in the box we always let them have two attempts)

Our Corners (Clueless)

Telling through balls (A lost art at HP)

Free Kicks (GC shot or an aimless lob in the box, meat and potato's for defenders)

Crossing (No need, we don't have any forwards)

So the standard of coaching looks minimal at best, I'm honestly at a loss to imagine what they do at training other than run, which they can do, as they are certainly fit)

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Knarf Reprah":2kfv86i8 said:
Emu":2kfv86i8 said:
Emu":2kfv86i8 said:

and have won how many of the five?

Extrapolated over a season that's W18 D27 L0 with one to play.

See, stats can mean anything. But evidence tells me that the last three games I've seen (Blackburn, Rochdale and Grimsby) there has been a significant improvement.