Is Derek the right manager? | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Is Derek the right manager?

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Balham_Green":3h9bs0nz said:
We are too cowardly even to get rid of a failing manager!

Give it a rest. Very often, the brave thing to do is stick with a manager. Getting rid at the first crisis is the easy option.

Play-off final > promotion isn't failing. And if your definition of failing is a string of defeats, then most clubs would have several managers a season. You don't think turning that round to sit on a 5 game unbeaten run is worthy of any praise at all?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I have seen reference to Darren Ferguson's retention by Doncaster mentioned when they were relegated to League 2 and returned to League 1 this season.

Another higher profile example is Sean Dyche who has been at Burnley since 2012. I expect that many of their supporters were calling for his head when they were relegated back to the Championship in the 2014/5 season but the owners kept faith with him and they returned to the Premiership in 2016/7. Currently, in 2017/8, they are in 7th position.

We are discussing losing faith in our manager after 1/3rd of the season; I hope, and believe, that our owners will have more faith in our manager than some of our supporters have.

Jul 12, 2016
David nine,nothing to do with faith more like the cost of getting rid of him.

Sep 6, 2006
Biggs":3i44mapr said:
Balham_Green":3i44mapr said:

Give it a rest. Very often, the brave thing to do is stick with a manager. Getting rid at the first crisis is the easy option.

Play-off final > promotion isn't failing. And if your definition of failing is a string of defeats, then most clubs would have several managers a season. You don't think turning that round to sit on a 5 game unbeaten run is worthy of any praise at all?

Give it a rest! Do you think we would have got promoted last season or be unbeaten in 5 without ONE player in particular?

Jul 30, 2015
Plymouth
Balham_Green":ikivh794 said:
Biggs":ikivh794 said:
Balham_Green":ikivh794 said:

Give it a rest! Do you think we would have got promoted last season or be unbeaten in 5 without ONE player in particular?

Do you think we'd have that ONE player without this manager having been in place?

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
OwenJones":2ar4c0gk said:
Balham_Green":2ar4c0gk said:
Biggs":2ar4c0gk said:
Balham_Green":2ar4c0gk said:

Do you think we'd have that ONE player without this manager having been in place?

Eleven players make a football team...yes the manager may have got Carey right but the other ten I'm not so sure...Adams has wasted a lot of money on duffers...hence we are bottom of the league....

G

Greenskin

oddball":20srnxth said:
OwenJones":20srnxth said:
Balham_Green":20srnxth said:
Biggs":20srnxth said:
Balham_Green":20srnxth said:

Eleven players make a football team...yes the manager may have got Carey right but the other ten I'm not so sure...Adams has wasted a lot of money on duffers...hence we are bottom of the league....

Where is the evidence that Adams has had a "lot of money" to waste or otherwise?

Aug 5, 2016
Balham_Green":l4tw2so3 said:
Biggs":l4tw2so3 said:
Balham_Green":l4tw2so3 said:

ONE player the manager signed, then convinced to stay when much better footballing sides came in for him.

ONE player we pay a lot of money to have relative to his colleagues.

What is the alternative to Carey scoring goals and making some chances, for him to go on strike or something? To run the ball down the touchline and out of play and just deliberately not contribute anything? What a strange feeling it must be to watch Argyle with the attitude and prejudice you have, cursing under your breath every time Carey whacks in another goal from distance, feeling like he is somehow cheating you and Argyle deep down are really much more pathetic than this. How strange.

G

Greenskin

Balham_Green":2uxxyh7h said:
Biggs":2uxxyh7h said:
Balham_Green":2uxxyh7h said:

Bit like saying Leicester would never have won the premier league without Vardy or Brazil 3 world cups without Pele or Argyle without Mariner in 1974/75 etc etc etc.

Aug 5, 2016
Man Utd - Cantona
When he was banned they struggled massively for goals and form. He returned just towards the end of the season to help deliver the title.

Argyle - Jason Banton
Would have gone down without him.

Newcastle - Shearer
From decades in the top flight to relegation when their best player retired.

Southampton - Le Tissier
Ditto.

Having a standout player and being dependent on their spark is hardly unique to Argyle in League One. Even Spurs wouldn't think of Harry Kane being out of action for any period of time, it would dent their attacking potential massively.

Dec 22, 2004
Plymouth
The bit I find interesting is how much the pro Derek's are pro Derek. I know he is a marmite sort of manager, but some on here metaphorically seem to eat nothing but marmite, sleep in marmite and drink marmite through a marmite straw.

Not criticising any view today - just observing.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Tony_Flags":1iyupaw9 said:
The bit I find interesting is how much the pro Derek's are pro Derek. I know he is a marmite sort of manager, but some on here metaphorically seem to eat nothing but marmite, sleep in marmite and drink marmite through a marmite straw.

Not criticising any view today - just observing.

I don’t like marmite nor do I dislike marmite.

Weird

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
MarkMatthews":1vqtiuol said:
Because both are experienced managers, who have both shown incredible amounts of interest in the Argyle job in the past, so is a good chance both would be happy to take it on a short term basis. Lennie Lawrence has certainly been involved in football since his last job so will still have contacts for January. Lawrence is also SW(ish) based. Then at the end of the season could slot in upstairs to guide a Wotton or a Hargreaves who would be a much more long term vision.

So if Mark takes over Argyle in January, we can expect to see a side made up of most of Truro City's current first team, managed by Stan Ternent and with the tantalising prospect of being managed in the 2018/19 League 2 campaign by a guy whose (and I say this as a big fan of Chris Hargreaves as a bloke) only management job saw him relegated from the League entirely.

:crazy: